Blake Griffin: "OU has made a mistake"

thebigabd

Reaction score
Joe Castiglione called his decision to fire Oklahoma Sooners coach Jeff Capel "a change of direction."

And while Capel said in a statement he considers OU a "first class institution and an excellent place to coach," former Sooners standout Blake Griffin thought Capel's firing was more like a slap to the face.

The former Oklahoma star who is now playing for the Los Angeles Clippers said the university's decision to fire his coach was "unfair" and that the school was "piling it on."

"What bothers me the most is that everyone is saying he did all of this when Blake Griffin was there," Griffin said. "Well to me, you say he deserves no credit when a certain player is there and then, when things go bad, throw all the blame on him. To me, they're piling it on. He took over the program after Kelvin Sampson and all of those sanctions and he put his faith in everyone. This is what he gets? Within two years we're in the tournament and now two years later he's fired? It's completely unfair."

Griffin, who said he received a text from Capel shortly after the university's decision, felt so strongly about Oklahoma's decision that he reached out to ESPN.com on Tuesday afternoon.

The No. 1 draft pick two years ago and the top rated player coming out of high school, Griffin's decision to attend Oklahoma was something of a stunner. It helped that his older brother, Taylor, already was there and that the Griffins are Oklahoma natives.

Still the program was mired in the mess that Sampson left behind and Capel was just in his second season.

Griffin took the leap of faith, anyway, jumping mostly because of Capel.

By the end of his sophomore season, Griffin was the national player of the year and the Sooners, once in the NCAA dust, were in the Elite Eight.

"As soon as he got the job he started recruiting me and we were in it together," Griffin said. "When I committed to Oklahoma, it wasn't a popular thing to do at the time but I went because of Coach Capel. We all take pride in what we did there and what we built and for them to turn their backs on him so quickly, it really disappoints me."

Griffin isn't naive. He knows that since he left, it has been lean times and troubled times at OU. Despite recruiting as many as four McDonald's All-Americans, Capel and the Sooners were 17-36 in the last two seasons and attendance has steadily flagged.

Worse, the NCAA came back to campus, investigating a loan between a financial adviser and former player Keith "Tiny" Gallon.

"I understand you have to win and I understand the coaching carousel," Griffin said. "And I know about the NCAA but he has said he knew nothing about it and I believe him. Besides, look around at some other coaches and what has happened. They're still coaching. In comparison to Oklahoma, you can't even compare it."

Griffin, who said he's only spoken briefly with Capel since the firing, isn't one to grab his saber and rattle cages.

He hasn't called Castiglione nor does he intend to.

While the decision angers him, it won't sully his relationship with the school. He said his feelings for Oklahoma are rooted in his relationships with his former teammates and the experience he had there.

He was, however, affected enough that he felt compelled to speak and is certain he is not alone in his frustration.

Griffin said he exchanged text messages with his brother, who is playing overseas and that Taylor is equally mystified and is sure his other teammates feel the same.

"I just want people to know the respect I have for Coach Capel and to let people know that I feel like they're giving him a really unfair boot," Griffin said. "I don't claim to know everything when it comes to basketball, but I do know a great coach. He's a great coach and I think Oklahoma has made a mistake."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6221727

this will prob be the only time i will be able to say this but he needs to keep his mouth shut

this will prob be the only time i will be able to say this but he needs to keep his mouth shut

Why?

He has earned the right to say what he wants. He thinks Capel got a raw deal and he is not alone.

What he says is not going to affect our future. When he goes on to be a hall of famer, people will mention his college playing days @ OU and that is way better pub than 1 obscure espn article.

Why?

He has earned the right to say what he wants. He thinks Capel got a raw deal and he is not alone.

What he says is not going to affect our future. When he goes on to be a hall of famer, people will mention his college playing days @ OU and that is way better pub than 1 obscure espn article.

just b/c he was a superstar hear doesn't give him the right to publicy criticize the university. I think it could hurt short term getting a coach or recruits. just my opinion

"As soon as he got the job he started recruiting me and we were in it together," Griffin said. "When I committed to Oklahoma, it wasn't a popular thing to do at the time but I went because of Coach Capel.
Thank you Blake for setting the record straight.

Blake is a fantastic athlete,but Joe C.runs an Athletitic Department wich is like a business,and Blake should know that.This was not an easy decision for Joe C.to make,but the $$$$ donors pulled the plug!Go Sooners!!!!!

Thank you Blake for setting the record straight.

I'm not calling Blake a liar, but what do you expect him to say publicly. I would have never gone to OU except my brother was there, it was the only reason.

I don't see the need to look for vindication that BG was a Sooner only because of JC.

Many people close to the Griffins said he gave Capel a shot because of his brother. I also know for a fact, one of the reasons Taylor stayed and BG went to OU was because Darby Rich. Darby was a huge reason BG ended up the.

Can we move on now?

I'm not calling Blake a liar, but what do you expect him to say publicly. I would have never gone to OU except my brother was there, it was the only reason.

I don't see the need to look for vindication that BG was a Sooner only because of JC.

Many people close to the Griffins said he gave Capel a shot because of his brother. I also know for a fact, one of the reasons Taylor stayed and BG went to OU was because Darby Rich. Darby was a huge reason BG ended up the.

Can we move on now?

Seems to me you are calling Blake a liar. Why not just take what he says at face value and let it go?

Can we move on now?

Good Lord. Blake didn't have to say anything. The article specifically says Blake reached out to ESPN. No one forced him to say a thing about Capel.

He wasn't asked why he went to OU, so he didn't have to say anything publicly. I have spoken to several people who know Blake personally and all of them agree that he was not headed to OU until he met Capel. I've never really understood why people feel the need to argue this point. He's even on record of saying it, and people disagree.

That being said, Blake knows Capel on a personal level and has been through a lot with him. He obviously has great admiration for him and thinks very highly of his coaching abilities.

Something Blake probably doesn't understand, is the position Joe C. is in. The pressures are different, the viewpoints are different and the experiences are different.
Blake might be right, and Capel might have been able to turn the program around. The problem is that Blake isn't the one who has to take that risk, Joe C. is.

Blake can be loyal to Capel and still be a loyal Sooner. He has the rest of his career and life to show his loyalty to OU. This was a particularly tough blow for his friend though, and he reacted. There is nothing wrong with that.

Good Lord. Blake didn't have to say anything. The article specifically says Blake reached out to ESPN. No one forced him to say a thing about Capel.

Blake has the right to say what he wants. I was referreing to Sid clinging to Capel because he BG said he came to OU because of Capel.

I think you and I have disagreed so much in the past you instantly are ready to disagree with me without reading the post. I just didn't see the need for Sid to bold that BG only came to OU because of JC. JC is gone, let it go.

I do wish Blake would have used a little more finesse in his comments, but he has the right to say what he wants. I wish he would have said something like...
"JC was great for me, I miss him will always have great memories. OU was and has always been good to me. I understand it is a business. Hopefully OU will move forward and win and JC will land somewhere he is happy."

"As soon as he got the job he started recruiting me and we were in it together," Griffin said. "When I committed to Oklahoma, it wasn't a popular thing to do at the time but I went because of Coach Capel and my brother Taylor."

Ok, I fixed it so both sides will be happy.:D

He wasn't asked why he went to OU, so he didn't have to say anything publicly. I have spoken to several people who know Blake personally and all of them agree that he was not headed to OU until he met Capel. I've never really understood why people feel the need to argue this point. He's even on record of saying it, and people disagree.

That being said, Blake knows Capel on a personal level and has been through a lot with him. He obviously has great admiration for him and thinks very highly of his coaching abilities.

Something Blake probably doesn't understand, is the position Joe C. is in. The pressures are different, the viewpoints are different and the experiences are different.
Blake might be right, and Capel might have been able to turn the program around. The problem is that Blake isn't the one who has to take that risk, Joe C. is.
Blake can be loyal to Capel and still be a loyal Sooner. He has the rest of his
career and life to show his loyalty to OU. This was a particularly tough blow
for his friend though, and he reacted. There is nothing wrong with
that.

Good and fair post

Blake has the right to say what he wants. I was referreing to Sid clinging to Capel because he BG said he came to OU because of Capel.

I think you and I have disagreed so much in the past you instantly are ready to disagree with me without reading the post. I just didn't see the need for Sid to bold that BG only came to OU because of JC. JC is gone, let it go.

I do wish Blake would have used a little more finesse in his comments, but he has the right to say what he wants. I wish he would have said something like...
"JC was great for me, I miss him will always have great memories. OU was and has always been good to me. I understand it is a business. Hopefully OU will move forward and win and JC will land somewhere he is happy."

The irony here almost made me fall out of my chair

The irony here almost made me fall out of my chair

I here ya and thought it as I typed. I am guilty as the next at having an idea of what I am about to read before I read it.

Im ready to hug it Out, no homo.

It's a free country so Blake can do what he wants. I find it weird though, that if he was so upset, why he chose to contact the media instead of OU and voice his complaints. And why he didn't call OU and Joe C. and voice his support when Capel was on the hot seat but not yet fired.

In my opinion, going to the media instead of the source of the firing was a bad move.

What I read and quoted was what seemed to me to be that you didn't believe what Blake said, that he came to OU because his brother was already here, which goes along with the common insinuation that he would have come to OU regardless of who the coach was. He directly contradicts that. That was my point.
As for what he said about the firing of his friend, well...he is a passionate young man. I also wish he'd have said something more diplomatic with regards to the university, but I understand why he reacted the way he did.

What is it we have disagreed so much about?

Ahh, he!!...misread who you had disagreed with so much.
Sorry.

Last edited:
So Blake, should we keep someone who can't do their job? Just because we like him and he had a few good years? I mean, 50% is pretty good production right?

Back