............Blake......Tiny
FG %......56.8......60.6
FT %......58.9......69.7
Rebounds..9.1......10.1
Assists.....1.8........ .9
Blocks...... .8........ 1.0
Steals......1.0......... .4
Points.....14.7.......12.2

This will be interesting to follow. Blake came out of High School rated #23 by Rivals while Tiny came out rated #9 in the nation.

I think you can attribute a good deal of Blakes leap forward to his trip to San Francisco in the summer after his freshman year. Let's hope Tiny has his travel plans booked to the Bay Area for a summer of hellish jerry rice style work.

That is an interesting comparison by the numbers...

I do think Tiny could have a huge leap in production next season similiar to Blake...for some reason i just feel Capel is keeping a leash on him right now and trying to develop his post game, but once he shows the work ethic and discipline i could see Capel rewarding him by giving him the freedom to play anywhere on the court (within reason & within the offense)...

Freshman Stats:

............Blake......Tiny
FG %......56.8......60.6
FT %......58.9......69.7
Rebounds..9.1......10.1
Assists.....1.8........ .9
Blocks...... .8........ 1.0
Steals......1.0......... .4
Points.....14.7.......12.2

This will be interesting to follow. Blake came out of High School rated #23 by Rivals while Tiny came out rated #9 in the nation.

I think you can attribute a good deal of Blakes leap forward to his trip to San Francisco in the summer after his freshman year. Let's hope Tiny has his travel plans booked to the Bay Area for a summer of hellish jerry rice style work.

I think it is a bit of a stretch to say Blake's improvement was due to his trip to San Francisco. What evidence supports that, other than the fact he went to San Francisco?

You could just as easily say it was having Willie Warren on his team or being a sophomore, or the years worth of coaching he received from Coach Capel. His teammates understanding what he could do probably had as much to do with his increased production as anything else. Not competing with Longar in the post probably impacted his production.

I think it is a bit of a stretch to say Blake's improvement was due to his trip to San Francisco. What evidence supports that, other than the fact he went to San Francisco?

Agreed. I attribute very little to that trip.

Tiny appears to be a little better shot blocker at this point then Blake was. And a better FT shooter. At this point, that is really all I'm ready to judge on.

Honestly, if Tiny was put in freshman Blake's position, I think he'd put up slightly better numbers than he has so far. Blake had a lot (comparatively) more post help than Tiny's had.

If Tiny had played alongside Longar and/or Taylor, he'd have a lot more freedom to create instead of being stuck on the blocks. Not that that's a bad thing at all, he's just not used to it balling down low consistently yet.

No offense to anyone, but Longar-Taylor circa '07-'08>Wright-Orlando-Fitz. Tiny's had to be THE man down low a little faster than Blake did. And even in Blake's second year he had his brother and Patillo to help out and give productive minutes when they were on the floor the same time as Blake. A luxury that Tiny hasn't really had this year, unfortunately. Thankfully, Crock has stepped up into a new role at the "4", and hopefully can produce consistently against high quality opponents.

You could just as easily say it was having Willie Warren on his team or being a sophomore, or the years worth of coaching he received from Coach Capel. His teammates understanding what he could do probably had as much to do with his increased production as anything else. Not competing with Longar in the post probably impacted his production.

No offense to you Denver or you TU but Blake himself attributed a lot of his improvement in his Sophmore year to his off season conditioning with Frank Matrisciano. He was fresher for games and didnt have trouble with fatigue, he was definitely stronger, and all of he drills involved things he would use for basketball. It also helped Taylor tremendously too. I was there and witnessed it first hand.

Remember how frustrated Blake used to get in his freshman year? I think his work in California the summer between his freshman and sophomore year helped him control the mental aspects of his game as much as anything it did for him physically. Remember the cheap shots and intentional fouls directed at him? He never retaliated. That discipline is another thing that he gained over that summer in California..

Remember how frustrated Blake used to get in his freshman year? I think his work in California the summer between his freshman and sophomore year helped him control the mental aspects of his game as much as anything it did for him physically. Remember the cheap shots and intentional fouls directed at him? He never retaliated. That discipline is another thing that he gained over that summer in California..

Great point, MsProud. I think we would have seen Blake's physical endurance and build increase whether or not he had gone to California, because Blake was already an extremely hard worker. It was his mental growth that he obtained from that program that proved invaluable....

I would love to see Tiny go through that program....

Great point, MsProud. I think we would have seen Blake's physical endurance and build increase whether or not he had gone to California, because Blake was already an extremely hard worker. It was his mental growth that he obtained from that program that proved invaluable....

I would love to see Tiny go through that program....
I would love to see Orlando right there with him.

Here is your evidence. Link

Griffin credits his improvement in his game this past season, after which he was named the consensus national player of the year, to last summer's regimen with Matrisciano.

Has anyone compaired Tiny's touches to Blake's touches?.. that would be interesting to know..

Griffin ended up improving more from freshman to sophomore than any player I've seen. I don't know if we should expect that same improvement from Tiny.

Tiny is athletic, but no where even close to Blake. Blake is a freak of nature. It would just be unrealistic to expect anything close to the progress Blake made. And im not hating on tiny, it kinda sucks for him that he has to be compared to someone like that.

I don't really think it is true that Blake had this huge jump. He was great his freshman year. The nasty dunk I saw him do was probably his freshman year against A&M. Blake was a highlight real as a freshman and a sophomore. His production increased but most players have an increase in production between their freshman and sophomore years.

I am not taking anything away from the trainer in San Fran. Perhaps Blake was in substantially better shape, I don't know. I just think Blake was going to do what he did because Blake is genetically gifted, worked hard his whole life and has a desire that is not matched by many players.

Regardless, I would love to see Tiny get in great shape. It certainly cannot hurt his game.

tiny has more offensive skills than blake.
he's going to be a monster next year.

Last edited:

Tiny has no where even close to the post game that Blake had. I completely disagree with you. I like Gallon, but please stop comparing him to the player of the year and number one draft pick last year, because thats unfair.

Welcome to the board, daqman!

Rhinou,

He didn't say post moves. He said offensive game. I disagree if we are talking about Blake's second year versus Tiny's first year, but its not unreasonable for someone to claim that Tiny has as much/more offensive skills than Blake did as a first year. I am not saying that is true, but I don't think it is grossly unreasonable.

Tiny is very skilled. The thing that people need to remember is that they are two different types of bigs. We haven't been able to see much of Tiny's outside skills because the coaching staff is desperately trying to teach him to use his body to bang down low. I suspect that more of Tiny's game will be put on display as the year rolls on....

Rhinou,

He didn't say post moves. He said offensive game. I disagree if we are talking about Blake's second year versus Tiny's first year, but its not unreasonable for someone to claim that Tiny has as much/more offensive skills than Blake did as a first year. I am not saying that is true, but I don't think it is grossly unreasonable.

QUOTE]

Well Blake is among the best in the world at what he does, which is grab rebounds and a great post offensive game. Oklahoma doesn't need a big man to be shooting perimeter shots, especially with a 4 guard line up. What he said was that Tiny has a better offensive game than blake, which I think is assinine. But that just my opinion....

Rhinou,

QUOTE]

Well Blake is among the best in the world at what he does, which is grab rebounds and a great post offensive game. Oklahoma doesn't need a big man to be shooting perimeter shots, especially with a 4 guard line up. What he said was that Tiny has a better offensive game than blake, which I think is assinine. But that just my opinion....

I understand that Tiny doesn't need to be shooting fade-aways and perimeter jumpshots in this offense, but he has that skill, and he is really, really good at it for a guy his size. It is going to really be an asset for him at the next level imo.

All I am saying is that any comparisons (which there really shoudn't be because they have distinctly different games) should be made as Blake year 1 versus Tiny year 1.

gallon needs to get more touches.
tiny would have 20 and 10 every night if the guards fed him the ball.
but i guess capel is fine with the guards jacking up 3's instead.

Back