Blake Griffin vs Tiny Gallon

gallon needs to get more touches.
tiny would have 20 and 10 every night if the guards fed him the ball.
but i guess capel is fine with the guards jacking up 3's instead.

He does need more touches. I don't think many would argue with you on that. But, as Capel said after the last game, he also needs to do a better job of sprinting down the floor and getting a quick seal on his man deep in the post, and he needs to work harder at gaining position in the halfcourt deep in the halves.

He should get the 10 every game whether the guards give him the ball or not. It has been nice to see him doing that more often than not so far this season.

Tiny is athletic, but no where even close to Blake. Blake is a freak of nature. It would just be unrealistic to expect anything close to the progress Blake made. And im not hating on tiny, it kinda sucks for him that he has to be compared to someone like that.

The numbers don't Lie!

Welcome to the board, daqman!

Rhinou,

He didn't say post moves. He said offensive game. I disagree if we are talking about Blake's second year versus Tiny's first year, but its not unreasonable for someone to claim that Tiny has as much/more offensive skills than Blake did as a first year. I am not saying that is true, but I don't think it is grossly unreasonable.

Tiny is very skilled. The thing that people need to remember is that they are two different types of bigs. We haven't been able to see much of Tiny's outside skills because the coaching staff is desperately trying to teach him to use his body to bang down low. I suspect that more of Tiny's game will be put on display as the year rolls on....

I agree with this. I can point to things Tiny does better than Blake. I don't think we are likely to see a guy that can elevate like Blake every again at OU. He was truly special in his power game. But that does not mean another played cannot have aspects to his game that are better than Blake. Shooting is the first thing that comes to mind with Tiny. The guy can shoot the basketball like a small forward.

Great point, MsProud. I think we would have seen Blake's physical endurance and build increase whether or not he had gone to California, because Blake was already an extremely hard worker. It was his mental growth that he obtained from that program that proved invaluable....

I would love to see Tiny go through that program....

While I agree Blake's physical endurance would have increased had he trained in Norman but it would had been no where close had he not trained with Frank Matrisciano and went through his program. Yes his program does involve mental aspects of basketball as well tied into fatigue,etc as it ties into the game. I physically watched Blake and Taylor's transformation with my own eyes and to say that trip has very little to do with his improvement is way off base. One of these days people are going to realize I know a little bit of what I'm talking about! ;)

FYI BT none of that was directed toward you!

I should also add that Frank has invited Tiny to come train for free next summer as he did with Blake, Taylor, and Wright.

Blake as a freshman was an amazing athlete who was still polishing off his game as a basketball player. Tiny is somewhat the opposite, a basketball player who is still polishing himself off as an athlete. Tiny has much more "touch" to his game than Blake did as a freshman, that would probably show more if he was floating around the perimeter/medium range than he is now, but that is not where this team needs him.

Also, Blake wasn't that great with his back to the basket his first year because he was strictly a power player, the light really went on for him between freshman and sophomore seasons.

Personally, I don't think the statistical comparisons are significant because of the make-up of each year's team...have to look at the individual's game, more of an "eye test".

Blake as a freshman was an amazing athlete who was still polishing off his game as a basketball player. Tiny is somewhat the opposite, a basketball player who is still polishing himself off as an athlete..

Well said.

I should also add that Frank has invited Tiny to come train for free next summer as he did with Blake, Taylor, and Wright.

Wow...let's hope he takes Frank up on it. That would be a huge step for a guy like Tiny in sculpting his body and keeping it in shape. Can you imagine Tiny at 275 and trading some lean muscle for fat? Dude would be ridiculous. I bet his vertical would improve drastically...

Freshman Stats:

............Blake......Tiny
FG %......56.8......60.6
FT %......58.9......69.7
Rebounds..9.1......10.1
Assists.....1.8........ .9
Blocks...... .8........ 1.0
Steals......1.0......... .4
Points.....14.7.......12.2

Are these numbers after the same amount of games as a freshman for both players or are Blake's numbers based on a full season of play?

I could be wrong, but that sounds pretty close to an NCAA violation.

Welcome to the board, daqman!

Rhinou,

He didn't say post moves. He said offensive game. I disagree if we are talking about Blake's second year versus Tiny's first year, but its not unreasonable for someone to claim that Tiny has as much/more offensive skills than Blake did as a first year. I am not saying that is true, but I don't think it is grossly unreasonable.

Tiny is very skilled. The thing that people need to remember is that they are two different types of bigs. We haven't been able to see much of Tiny's outside skills because the coaching staff is desperately trying to teach him to use his body to bang down low. I suspect that more of Tiny's game will be put on display as the year rolls on....

actually i said "offensive skills".
blake's "game" was limited to very near the basket, where he dominated.
but i see gallon as a much more talented ace mcghee type player. he can get his points all over the floor. he will be much harder to defend than blake. especially as he learns/matures/gets in better shape.
and if we had another serviceable big man that could stay in the paint and rebound, gallon could put those skills to good use. unfortunately, capel is forcing him to stay inside because we desperately need his rebounding.

Here is your evidence. Link

Griffin credits his improvement in his game this past season, after which he was named the consensus national player of the year, to last summer's regimen with Matrisciano.

Would do wonders for Tiny someone plant a bug in his ear, we have a pipeline and history with the mad man in San Fran. Tiny's vertical needs work. Will be interesting to see if he can post and finish against polished big's.

Will be interesting to see if he can post and finish against polished big's.

That is never going to be his strength. I understand that we really don't have the roster (ie, other bigs) to let him play his true game, but the kid isn't built to score like Blake was, inside using strength and speed. He needs to be used like Ace was used. Or like the Celtics used Big Baby last year. That is Tiny's strength. This is also a reason I think we'll struggle some later in the year. We just aren't going to have anything close to a consistent inside game.

Are these numbers after the same amount of games as a freshman for both players or are Blake's numbers based on a full season of play?

Blakes full season vs Tinys current. I will update as the season goes along.

Tiny may have a little more upside because of his ability to shoot but he's not near as explosive an athlete as Blake is and was. Tiny has a lot more to learn offensively but his size is just hard to defend. And he's starting to figure out how to use it. Blake is big but his athletic ability made him bigger than he was. I think Tiny is kinda the opposite right now. He doesn't play as big as he is right now because he was always basically a guard.

Blakes full season vs Tinys current. I will update as the season goes along.

Thanks. Figured as much. Tiny's hardest games are ahead of him, so for those trying to make statistical comparisons you should wait til conference season is well underway.

Tiny may have a little more upside because of his ability to shoot but he's not near as explosive an athlete as Blake is and was. Tiny has a lot more to learn offensively but his size is just hard to defend. And he's starting to figure out how to use it. Blake is big but his athletic ability made him bigger than he was. I think Tiny is kinda the opposite right now. He doesn't play as big as he is right now because he was always basically a guard.

i disagree.
he has to learn the inside game, which i think will be alot easier than learning to shoot from 6 feet out.
blake had a great inside game, but he never developed anything else offensively.

i disagree.
he has to learn the inside game, which i think will be alot easier than learning to shoot from 6 feet out.
blake had a great inside game, but he never developed anything else offensively.

Because that's all he needed because of his explosive ability How many unanimous players of the year have there ever been? That's what Blake was last year. Do you really think Tiny can be that good?

Because that's all he needed because of his explosive ability How many unanimous players of the year have there ever been? That's what Blake was last year. Do you really think Tiny can be that good?

Yes. Because IF Tiny can be a good defender, he can go a long ways in matching Blake's production.

Back