Blake Griffin was the recruit to bring OU from the bottom

well, i consider Willie Warren, Tiny, TMG, Avery Bradley, Kevin Durant to be "recruits".

Blake, ok literally was a "recruit" at one time, but his brother, his parents, his place of birth had as much to do with going to OU as anyone. Perhaps more than Capel.

Willie, TMG and Tiny are Capel recruits. Blake was more or less an inevitability. I dont think anything feels that Capel "landed" Blake in the way that it would be said if Capel landed Orton or Henry...or Sampson getting Azuibuke, Darnell Jackson or Sheldon Williams.

I agree with DM. BG rescued the OU basketball program from the BOTTOM. The 06 season was a disaster. If my memory serves me correctly, the Sooners started out the season ranked in the top 10. There was a rumor back in December of 06 about KB not being happy. There was also the TE incident that occurred right before the NCAA tournament started. CW was a total bust.

If one wishes to get picky about it, on 3/5/06, the Sooners lost to Texas, 72-48. On 3/10/06, the Sooners lost their first game in the conference tournament to the MIGHTY Cornhuskers, 69-63. That was a SAD day for the OU basketball program. To top it all off, the Sooners STUMBLED again in the first round of the NCAA basketball tournament to the UWM, 82-74. IMO, at the of the 06 season, the Sooner basketball program was a total cluster ----. If it wasn't for JC and BG getting together, there's no telling how much longer it would have taken Jeff to clean the MESS up.

I think that the people that downplay how bad of shape we were in when Capel took the job are more annoying than the folks that make it seem that it was worse than it was. JMO.

The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle in arguements like these.

If you were on campus when things were at the 'the bottom', when the program wasn't even an afterthought of the athletic department, when wrestling was the second most popular sport on campus, when basketball didn't even come close to filling the field house, you know what the bottom really is.

I'm sorry if people find that annoying, but it's a fact.

If you were on campus when things were at the 'the bottom', when the program wasn't even an afterthought of the athletic department, when wrestling was the second most popular sport on campus, when basketball didn't even come close to filling the field house, you know what the bottom really is.

I'm sorry if people find that annoying, but it's a fact.

What does that time period have to do with when Capel took the job. I agree with you that it wasn't the bottom for OU basketball when Capel took the job (not even close). We had some ugly, ugly times during the 50's and 60's.

Like I said, the truth is in the middle.

What does that time period have to do with when Capel took the job. I agree with you that it wasn't the bottom for OU basketball when Capel took the job (not even close). We had some ugly, ugly times during the 50's and 60's.

Like I said, the truth is in the middle.

The bolded part of your statement was my point.

Didn't mean for this thread to be something to argue about. It was more of me saying WW is going to be the guy who's going to build a pipeline from DFW to Norman. I think we might see some of that with a kid from Richland. Maybe I shouldn't have said Blake brought OU from the Bottom, but I feel he prevented OU from hitting it.

Didn't mean for this thread to be something to argue about. It was more of me saying WW is going to be the guy who's going to build a pipeline from DFW to Norman. I think we might see some of that with a kid from Richland. Maybe I shouldn't have said Blake brought OU from the Bottom, but I feel he prevented OU from hitting it.

I would completely agree. He was the right coach at the right time. There are many who couldn't have done nearly as well as he has.

Back