Blake Griffin.

SoonersRule

Banned
Reaction score
Man, I am going to miss that guy, but he might be the most single important player in OU basketball history. He is pretty much the reason all these great players are interested in Oklahoma.

340x.jpg

Man, I am going to miss that guy, but he might be the most single important player in OU basketball history. He is pretty much the reason all these great players are interested in Oklahoma.

He is definitely a major reason, as is Jeff Capel. It doesn't matter if you have one of the more dominant players in the country if you don't effectively recruit more talent to bolster your team. Great teams don't run on one horse.

As much as I love what Capel is doing for the program, Blake Griffin is the reason for a recent recruiting success. Every house Capel goes into, the mom/dad/grandmother/grandfather/player asks, "What can you do to get my son/my grandson/me to the league?" Most coaches talk about styles, game plans, etc. And the other person fires back, "Show me were it has worked."

Capel, on the other hand, says "Blake Griffin" and the conversation ends. Good high school player and recognized by people in the "know," but a virtual unknown to the general public. Two years later, he is maybe the most recognized college basketball player in the last 20 years and being drafted number 1. Hell, when the commentators did the draft potential at Blake's McDs game, he wasn't even in the top 12.

As much as I love what Capel is doing for the program, Blake Griffin is the reason for a recent recruiting success. Every house Capel goes into, the mom/dad/grandmother/grandfather/player asks, "What can you do to get my son/my grandson/me to the league?" Most coaches talk about styles, game plans, etc. And the other person fires back, "Show me were it has worked."

Capel, on the other hand, says "Blake Griffin" and the conversation ends. Good high school player and recognized by people in the "know," but a virtual unknown to the general public. Two years later, he is maybe the most recognized college basketball player in the last 20 years and being drafted number 1. Hell, when the commentators did the draft potential at Blake's McDs game, he wasn't even in the top 12.

25374_ncaa_oklahoma_basketball.jpg

Funny that it was not until after Wayman left that OU went on that tear of being one of the most dominant programs in the country. Wayman's star power helped to get Oklahoma the recognition, but it was Tubbs working to get guys that could play on campus that took things to a whole other level--Blake did exactly what he said he wanted to do, get oU back to where it was when Wayman was here.

Also, what I like about the hypothetical Q&A in a post above was that after this year, Coach can say "Willie Warren" as well for the SG/SF kids out there! IF we can run together a strig of lottery picks that are also doing well in the NBA, watch out as I think that Coach Capel will continue to have the "youth" card for another wahat 5 years or so?

Capel is a big reason why OU is getting these guys, but without Blake and the success he was able to lift upon this program during his two years i dont think we would have seen quite the influx of TOP NOTCH talent...

If Capel wins a National Championship in the next couple of years based on the wave created by Blake being such a National Spotlight player i would say he then surpasses Wayman as the most influential and important player in OU history...Wayman's led to several dominant teams and one team playing for the National Championship, but no victory...

we will see....

How cool is it that the three biggest icons in OU hoops history are also wonderful people off the court? Adams, Tisdale (God Rest His Soul), and Griffin....couldn't ask for a better trio.

We will be doing a "Where are they now "with Alvin sometime here soon. He is a really awesome person.

Alvan%20Adams%20(1981-82).jpg

waymantisdale-02-big.jpg

340x(47).jpg

How cool is it that the three biggest icons in OU hoops history are also wonderful people off the court? Adams, Tisdale (God Rest His Soul), and Griffin....couldn't ask for a better trio.

We will be doing a "Where are they now "with Alvin sometime here soon. He is a really awesome person.

Alvan%20Adams%20(1981-82).jpg

waymantisdale-02-big.jpg

340x(47).jpg

Amazing..... Thats all I can say..... Three just, absolutely amazing people!

You betcha Blake is a big reason for the recruiting success. However, let me remind you guys that someone had to recruit Blake to OU. Also, it wasn't an exact given that Blake was coming to OU. The calming influence was Taylor. Taylor was going to leave OU, but Coach Capel became the new coach. If we don't get Coach Capel as our Coach. I think it's pretty safe to say that Taylor leaves OU(therefore no Blake). BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

You betcha Blake is a big reason for the recruiting success. However, let me remind you guys that someone had to recruit Blake to OU. Also, it wasn't an exact given that Blake was coming to OU. The calming influence was Taylor. Taylor was going to leave OU, but Coach Capel became the new coach. If we don't get Coach Capel as our Coach. I think it's pretty safe to say that Taylor leaves OU(therefore no Blake). BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

People go to UNC to this day because of Michael Jordan. We shouldn't be ashamed of the recruiting success we get because of Blake. I say lets play this card til it dies.

I think it possible that any one of several coaches might have come in and convinced Taylor to stay, particularly with the specter of losing Blake in the equation. We were fortunate that the coach we got was one of those and did the work.

Ashamed of Blake Griffin. No way. I'm just saying that we must give credit to our coach too. What if he didn't like to bring in McDAA's. I'm not going to go down that road, but once upon a time in OU b-ball history that was the case. Look at the caliber of player we're going after now. We're going after the best baby! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Ashamed of Blake Griffin. No way. I'm just saying that we must give credit to our coach too. What if he didn't like to bring in McDAA's. I'm not going to go down that road, but once upon a time in OU b-ball history that was the case. Look at the caliber of player we're going after now. We're going after the best baby! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I don't think OU has ever had a coach that "didn't like to bring in McDAA's." Some were just better than others.

I know personally, that it bothered Sampson that he couldn't get a high profile guy into the league. One, for his self confidence. And two, for the recruiting edge. Sampson tried for many a McDAA's but never could convince them that his style showcased their talents.

In defense of Sampson, he should have had at least three more players in the NBA: Ryan Minor (Tubbs recruit), Ace McGhee, and Hollis Price. In particular, McGhee dominated some of the pre-draft workouts but was told that there just wasn't enough video of him in a pro-set that would justify being drafted.

I don't think OU has ever had a coach that "didn't like to bring in McDAA's." Some were just better than others.

I know personally, that it bothered Sampson that he couldn't get a high profile guy into the league. One, for his self confidence. And two, for the recruiting edge. Sampson tried for many a McDAA's but never could convince them that his style showcased their talents.

In defense of Sampson, he should have had at least three more players in the NBA: Ryan Minor (Tubbs recruit), Ace McGhee, and Hollis Price. In particular, McGhee dominated some of the pre-draft workouts but was told that there just wasn't enough video of him in a pro-set that would justify being drafted.
Sampson ran pro-sets the entire time he was here, so they must not have been paying attention.

Sampson ran pro-sets the entire time he was here, so they must not have been paying attention.

I would beg to differ. Granted a lot of teams run the isolation game Sampson loved, but his offense required the big man flash to the top of the key to trigger the offense with either a pick or actually handling the ball. Pro teams usually like to initiate their offenses from the wings (i.e., the point guard passes to a wing first). From there, most teams either like to see a drive or a quick reversal with the big man sealing his man on the back side. There is a reason that the "best" NBA players of all time are either shooting guards or dominate scoring big men (e.g., Jordan, Kobe, James, O'neal). Point guards don't get the love. Nor do post men who can pass.

On a related point, that is why America struggles sometimes in international play. International pro teams run a very similar offense to Sampson in that they like to get the ball to the big man just inside the top of the key. With the trapozoid lane it is more effective to have the first option be a back door pass from the post player to the wings. If that isn't there, the post player usually passes it to the wing on the non-cutting side and tries to cut across his guys face.

(I realize that some of this is simiplification, but these generalities are pretty accurate).

He is definitely a major reason, as is Jeff Capel. It doesn't matter if you have one of the more dominant players in the country if you don't effectively recruit more talent to bolster your team. Great teams don't run on one horse.

It is a combination of both factors (young energetic coach :jcapel & recent basketball phenom :bgriff624_jpg_xs:) mentioned ... as well as the other players/coaches, e.g., if Taylor can stick in the league for a while, that will be pretty impressive too. Plus, it is safe to say that Coach Capel has assembled a pretty good staff that can recruit. One factor may be more important for one recruit and another factor for someone else, thus it is great that we have both angles going for us.

I would beg to differ. Granted a lot of teams run the isolation game Sampson loved, but his offense required the big man flash to the top of the key to trigger the offense with either a pick or actually handling the ball. Pro teams usually like to initiate their offenses from the wings (i.e., the point guard passes to a wing first). From there, most teams either like to see a drive or a quick reversal with the big man sealing his man on the back side. There is a reason that the "best" NBA players of all time are either shooting guards or dominate scoring big men (e.g., Jordan, Kobe, James, O'neal). Point guards don't get the love. Nor do post men who can pass.

On a related point, that is why America struggles sometimes in international play. International pro teams run a very similar offense to Sampson in that they like to get the ball to the big man just inside the top of the key. With the trapozoid lane it is more effective to have the first option be a back door pass from the post player to the wings. If that isn't there, the post player usually passes it to the wing on the non-cutting side and tries to cut across his guys face.

(I realize that some of this is simiplification, but these generalities are pretty accurate).
Sampson initiated from the key in his motion set, but we ran pro set plays more than we ran any sort of motion. Sampson was a set play guy, just like the NBA.

Well Capel can say Maynor, Taylor, and Blake as of now. WW next season and probably Tiny after that. I think at some point you have to give credit to Capel. I feel like even without Blake Capel would have found a way to get it done. Blake just acted as a catalyst to the process.

Back