Bob Barry Sr.

OUHoosier

Reaction score
I know this is beating a dead horse, at least during FB season, but is there a worse play-by-play man in the country? I had to listen to the first half of the game and had almost no clue what was happening. I used to love listening to him, but he is so bad I'd almost rather follow the game on Gamecast than listen to him. Really sad for a program at OU's level.

Was on the road today and had to listen to the entire game on the radio. Mike Houck was constantly correcting something Bob had said. Tough to listen to.

Did you listen to the guys that did the Alaska Shootout! Lots worse than BBS!

Did you listen to the guys that did the Alaska Shootout! Lots worse than BBS!

I thought the radio guy was good. check that, I thought he was decent. check that, Wllie Mason Gallon for the three!!! check that, it's Ryan Willis.

I find that hard to believe. BBS spends most of any possession by either team correcting his mistakes from the previous possession and tripping all over himself. It's really sad to see him fall so far b/c I really used to enjoy listening to him. OU really needs to find someone else for at least basketball. It's way too fast and you have to be able to paint a picture and all he's able to do is tell you the score, which usually has to be corrected. How does the administration not see this?

Joe C and Boren don't care if BBS needs to be replaced, he has been awful at football and basketball but continue to bring him back.

He was going to retire after 2000, but I think us winning the FB NC made him want to come back. Maybe since they just let him call the shots then they don't want to force him out. Maybe the idea is that it would cost more to bring someone better in and since radio is a pretty small viewership compared to the cost, they'll just let BBS stay as long as he is audible. Who knows...but it's not pretty.

Bob needs to retire from play by play and assume a special role in the Sooner family, doing award ceremonies, human interest reports and coaches shows.

Joe C and Boren don't care if BBS needs to be replaced, he has been awful at football and basketball but continue to bring him back.

Sorry, but Joe C. is not to blame on this one. He had BBS replaced about 7 years ago (i.e., it was already announced) when the higher powers stepped in to save BBS.

The guy should give some of these young guys an opportunity. He has done his due. He's a legend, but he's about to start a dubious legacy.

I find that hard to believe. BBS spends most of any possession by either team correcting his mistakes from the previous possession and tripping all over himself. It's really sad to see him fall so far b/c I really used to enjoy listening to him. OU really needs to find someone else for at least basketball. It's way too fast and you have to be able to paint a picture and all he's able to do is tell you the score, which usually has to be corrected. How does the administration not see this?

Trust me, they had about 10 different ways they pronounced Coach Capels name. I heard Tiny Griffin, Blake Mason Griffin, Taylor Mason Griffin, Tony C ocker, and the play by play was comical at best!

There are worse PBP guys. Just listen to OSU's broadcast sometimes. Better yet don't. But I'll agree that BBS isn't great either.

There are worse PBP guys. Just listen to OSU's broadcast sometimes. Better yet don't. But I'll agree that BBS isn't great either.

I've never disagreed with something more in my ouhoops.com life.

I'd rather listen to John Holcomb with his nuts in his vice, screeching "Good Night, Vienna!" for 2 hours then listen to Bob Barry.

I've never disagreed with something more in my ouhoops.com life.

I'd rather listen to John Holcomb with his nuts in his vice, screeching "Good Night, Vienna!" for 2 hours then listen to Bob Barry.

Holcomb is OK, Houck is OK. Hunziker and Barry are horrible. Muhammed Ali could do a better job that BBS and Hunziker is like a mix of Steve Erkel and Pee Wee Herman calling PbP.

The TV guys are all worse than BBSr also. I always turn the volume down and have music on than listening to 99% of the pbp guys on TV.

Maybe they're just keep BBSR around for the comedy gold? Last night at the half of the Utah game I had to make a burger run. On the way back I listened long enough to hear Bob call Tiny Gallon, Tiny Griffin. Which it made me lol.

So thank you University Of Oklahoma for the humor that is BBSR.

My favorite was earlier in the season he called Tommy "Mason-Dixon".

Last edited:
I like Bob. It is interesting that so many feel the need to start so many threads about Bob. He is a part of the OU tradition. He has been around that long and been a part of OU sports that long.

EDIT: I am opening this thread back up. Just so everyone knows I closed this thread based on the fact that there are BBS threads started after EVERY game and it gets old. If you want to discuss replacements without bashing BBS then that's fine. Criticism is ok but there was some bashing in here as well and several posters agreed with me. Thank you for the pm's.

Last edited:
Back