Buzz Williams/National Anthem Respect

Oh, I gained a whole new respect for that guy after I saw that..

I was disappointed in some of our players in Saturday. The ones who bow their head during the anthem. Saturday was worse because they were holding the flag with current soldiers from Fort Sill.

yeah, saw that awhile back...def a great example.

I was disappointed in some of our players in Saturday. The ones who bow their head during the anthem. Saturday was worse because they were holding the flag with current soldiers from Fort Sill.

What's wrong with bowing your head?

I am an honorably discharged and decorated combat veteran. I resent other people trying to impose their standard of what patriotism looks like on anyone.

I am an honorably discharged and decorated combat veteran. I resent other people trying to impose their standard of what patriotism looks like on anyone.

My father was also. 2 terms in Vietnam. He passed away recently and I can tell you emphatically that he would agree with this statement 1000%. And if someone else didn't approve of his standard of patriotism, he wouldn't hesitate for a minute to tell them where to go or what to do when they got there.

My father was also. 2 terms in Vietnam. He passed away recently and I can tell you emphatically that he would agree with this statement 1000%. And if someone else didn't approve of his standard of patriotism, he wouldn't hesitate for a minute to tell them where to go or what to do when they got there.

How someone acts at a ball game is a phoney display of patriotism. If you want to be a patriot, go pick up a rifle. If you don't have the stamina for that, write a check that hurts to the Wounded Warriors Fund. If you don't have the money for that, donate your time over at the VA Hospital. Whether one is standing at attention or picking their nose is meaningless one way or the other.

How someone acts at a ball game is a phoney display of patriotism. If you want to be a patriot, go pick up a rifle. If you don't have the stamina for that, write a check that hurts to the Wounded Warriors Fund. If you don't have the money for that, donate your time over at the VA Hospital. Whether one is standing at attention or picking their nose is meaningless one way or the other.

Yes, yes, yes!!! As an OIF/OEF veteran, I couldn't agree more. I have many friends that think they are so patriotic, but yet when I try to get them to volunteer for a homeless stand down or other various events that benefit veterans, all I hear is crickets.

It also would have been nice if Buzz had just once mentioned women. There was a female veteran standing right there among the others being honored and he just kept saying "men."

I understand your guys' sentiments and appreciate you service and opinion, I don't think Buzz was trying to tell somebody how to be a patriot. He obviously saw his players just going through the motions of the national anthem and thought of a way to remind them why we have this custom/tradition. In the grand scheme, showing respect before a bball game isn't a big deal....but the underlying principal of respect towards those whom have served is huge.

So it's good enough for a prayer but it's not good enough for the National Anthem?
Apples and oranges.

I'm not going to get into a discussion about it. If you ever go to a basketball game, judging by attendance isn't likely, are there more people bowing their head at the flag or looking at it? Vice versa on prayers which you obviously won't get at an OU game.

It's as respectful as sitting or kneeling during the anthem.

as an OEF/OIF vet as well ... this comment is garbage ..

would I rather all of our American players salute the flag (as they should per federal law) yes I would but bowing your head is not = to sitting or kneeling

as an OEF/OIF vet as well ... this comment is garbage ..

would I rather all of our American players salute the flag (as they should per federal law) yes I would but bowing your head is not = to sitting or kneeling

What exact law would that be?

Back