Buzz Williams/National Anthem Respect

no doubt and that is as it should be ....... just pointing out that it is the law ..

I guess so. But I fail to see how something could be a law when there is. It consequences to not following it.

Code, ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

let met make sure i get this right. I am supposed to stand and respect a song that for one wasn't written for me and two talked about killing slaves? Once I learned the true meaning of that song and the authors beliefs... i lost all respect for it.

However, i will stand for the troops.

Lol

Yes. It's a law. It's also only a suggestion. There's no requirement in there. It's just the government saying how they think people should act. It neither prescribes nor proscribes any behavior during the anthem.

Since when can laws be only suggestions? That can't be

Since when can laws be only suggestions? That can't be

Legislators pass tons of laws that are non-binding resolutions. They basically state that it is the opinion of the government that things should be a certain way, but they don't give funding to make things that way or put penalty on people or institutions for not doing those things.

I don't know anything about that, but at least it seems like you're standing for the right reason. It's true that America has never been perfect. You mentioned slavery and also women couldn't vote 100 years ago. However, we're also the world's oldest and most successful democracy and that's something people paid for with their lives and bodies. As long as you respect that, I don't care if you actually like the song. That's just my opinion.

Oldest democracy for who? And to somehow try to water down what this country stood for even as recently as the 60's by saying this country has never been perfect is a slap in the face to those people that never saw the democracy you speak of. Even those with the wrong color skin that fought for this country when they came back home didn't see the democracy you are speaking of.

This is the type of thinking that falls in line with the whole "make America great again". When has America been great for anyone else except white Americans?

I guess so. But I fail to see how something could be a law when there is. It consequences to not following it.

Code, ok.

the entire set of laws put forward by congress are in the US title Code that is what the LAW is ..

breaking some of the laws have written and described consequences .. some don't

Oldest democracy for who? And to somehow try to water down what this country stood for even as recently as the 60's by saying this country has never been perfect is a slap in the face to those people that never saw the democracy you speak of. Even those with the wrong color skin that fought for this country when they came back home didn't see the democracy you are speaking of.

This is the type of thinking that falls in line with the whole "make America great again". When has America been great for anyone else except white Americans?

this is such garbage

NO offense, but sounds like you might want to start looking for a new country if it is so bad here

I just finished a book called “A Train Near Magdeburg: A Teacher's Journey into the Holocaust”. It’s a non-fiction book about a group of Holocaust survivors who were rescued from an abandoned Nazi train by American soldiers on April 13th, 1945. The author is Matthew Rozell, a high school History teacher in upstate New York who teaches about the Holocaust. He facilitated reunions between the children rescued from that train and the American soldiers who rescued them. The last of the rescuers passed away earlier this year.

In the last pages of the book, he says this: “I could hear Dr. Bauer’s words echoing in my ears, reminding us that democracy is not only very fragile, it is hardly even out of the cradle in the backdrop of world history. What sets democracy apart from every other experiment in history, in it’s pure form and in theory, is it’s defense of minorities. It doesn’t exist yet, but maybe this form of government needs to be protected, and nourished. And maybe this is what the soldiers were fighting for. The world does not have to be united, and in fact it never has been and never will be. We argue and we disagree all of the time. That is as it is and as it should be. At the end of the day, we either kill each other, or we live and let live.”

We have not always done a good job of protecting minorities. In fact, for much of our history we have done a terrible job of protecting minorities. But, our Constitution gives us a framework to do better. And we should always be striving to do better. But if you can't see that, you have been living with blinders on .

This seems to have taken a turn entirely from the college basketball topic that started the thread and so I am going to move it to the Campus Corner Board.

this is such garbage

Actually, it isn't.

The Greeks had "democracy." Of course, it was limited to the landowners who were members of the Senate. England had the Magna Carta, but it was simply a redistribution of power from the monarch to include the various dukes. At the foundation of this country, probably the biggest argument that we had was that of slavery, other than whether we should leave England in the first place. There is little doubt that Madison, Adams, and Jefferson saw slavery as a less than desirable phenomenon. We were not a "true democracy," much as the post by MsProud indicates. At the time, many didn't even intend for non-land-owning white males to vote. It was best described as equal rights for the planter class.

They began the process of working towards democracy. Every step has had opposition. Whether it was the slaves, the Chinese that were imported to build railroads, the Irish and Italians, or the Hispanics, many of whom lived here long before we signed a Declaration, we opposed extending the rights of citizenship at every step. We had a "democracy" for a hundred thirty years before we extended women the rights of citizenship.

We are still a work in progress. Fortunately, they did see that coming. They did provide a way to amend what they had done. They knew that they had only the foundation, not the completed system. I think Jefferson would be quite proud of what has been accomplished. We have probably gone beyond his dream, but have not yet achieved democracy.

Back