Buzz Williams Would Be Insane To Take Oklahoma Job

he'd REALLY be insane taking the OU job since Bruce Pearl will already be here coaching.

coolm, you are an awesome poster, but Pearl to OU is n-e-v-e-r going to happen, and your heart of hearts you know it. Pearl is going to have to get out of the game for a couple years and then come back much like BCG. I'd love to have a guy of that caliber, but just like BCG, I don't think he is even on the OU radar. Buzz will be our next coach, not Shaka Zulu, and not some other mid-major flier with a comparable resume to Capel. I think it has always been Buzz and the deal is as the say in the old county "done" from Joe Castiglione's end anyway. Now, Buzz may Fredo things up...

coolm, you are an awesome poster, but Pearl to OU is n-e-v-e-r going to happen, and your heart of hearts you know it. Pearl is going to have to get out of the game for a couple years and then come back much like BCG. I'd love to have a guy of that caliber, but just like BCG, I don't think he is even on the OU radar. Buzz will be our next coach, not Shaka Zulu, and not some other mid-major flier with a comparable resume to Capel. I think it has always been Buzz and the deal is as the say in the old county "done" from Joe Castiglione's end anyway. Now, Buzz may Fredo things up...

I agree. The last thing Joe C. is likely to do is get someone with some NCAA troubles. It just wouldn't look good.

I agree. The last thing Joe C. is likely to do is get someone with some NCAA troubles. It just wouldn't look good.

It would be completely stupid...any coach that consistently has success at an SEC school AND gets dropped becuase of the NCAA has issues is a coach that that OU wants no part of.

I'd love to have a coach like him though, maybe we could do like some extreme makeover and falsify an identity and still get him. Risky, but feasible...OU shocks the world with their new coach, Blake Diamond. Sort of like when JYD went all Stagger Lee back in the day.

Bobby Maze on the Pearl firing - "A crime is a crime but taking a Snickers bar ain’t like robbing a bank."

yeah, we'd better not get the guy who put on the BBQ. NCAA hates those.

it's called the "Cole Slaw" rule.

Reading that "article" only makes me think that Buzz is already headed to OU and the deal was/is in place before Capel was let go. Some have already been mentioned, but a few points:

1. A guy builds a program in the Big East using talent that he has to get from 1,000 miles away, Texas. What is easier, convincing a kid from Texas to go to OU or Marquette.

2. From an athletic department standpoint, overall OU is probably in the Top 5 in the nation, Marquette is probably not even Top 10 in the Big East.

3. For most of this guys life, OU has been a successful basketball program . . . sort of goes in line with #1 and #2 above, but overall in the B12, OU is probably 2nd or 3rd strongest program over the last 30 years.

4. OU apparently showed ZERO interest in BCG, there has to be a reason for that. See #2 and #3, had we offered, BCG was ours to have at the same price as TT.

5. For such "scary" potential NCAA sanctions, why haven't we heard ANYTHING for over a year? Nothing. OU has a history under the current administration of biting the bullet and getting things over with.

There are two reasons for Buzz not to take the OU job:

1. We fired a guy two years after making the Elite Eight and three years after making the NCAA Tournament. I'm not going to get into a pissing match over whether that was the right or wrong decision, but if I was a "hot young coach" contemplating a career move, that standard would make me nervous. However, if I was a "hot young coach" that was familiar with OU, I might see it as a challenge.

2. We are not willing to pay him the money that he thinks he could command. I do not see that happening this time. Castiglione went the cheap route once and ended up firing "his" guy AFTER inking him to a big deal. Not going to say that money is no object, but I do not think we are going to go "cheap" either. This is a safe play for Joe, and our athletic department can out spend pretty much any other one out there if we "want" to, particularly Marquette, who could never match our resources.

Anyway, I'll probably jinx it, but there is just too much smoke here. Joe Castiglione HAS to make a splash with this next hire and EVERYONE is saying that this is the perfect fit. With the right guy, OU can be at the top of the conference heap every year, Buzz knows that, Marquette fans should realize that as well. We are a "football school" but the reality is with all the potential conference re-alignment on the horizon, that only makes OU look more attractive. Think Self wasn't sweating where KU might end up?

yeah the guy who wrote that article was ignorant and stupid. I thought Capel had signed 3 highly touted players in last year's class. Clark, Newel and T-something guy who quit already.

Once nobody got the Stagger Lee, Blake Diamond thing, I had to go with Maze and his complete lack of left (or was it right) hand.

Buzz has a great thing going at Marquette.
I will be shocked if he takes the OU job.
Why wouldn't he just bide his time there and wait for a premier job down the road?
I would hate to see it happen, but he would be the perfect fit at Texas.

Buzz has a great thing going at Marquette.
I will be shocked if he takes the OU job.
Why wouldn't he just bide his time there and wait for a premier job down the road?
I would hate to see it happen, but he would be the perfect fit at Texas.

What is that "great" about it...and maybe the goal is to turn OU into a premier job with fat $$$ and a program that has proven under three different consecutive coach's that it has the ability to compete at the highest level.

What is that "great" about it...and maybe the goal is to turn OU into a premier job with fat $$$ and a program that has proven under three different consecutive coach's that it has the ability to compete at the highest level.

Sweet 16.
Nice salary.
Recruiting will only get better.
Great fan support.
Top conference.

Anybody here ever spent the Winter in Milwaukee? Lots of reasons to head South for Buzz!!!

Anybody here ever spent the Winter in Milwaukee? Lots of reasons to head South for Buzz!!!
The talent pool in the Wisconsin area isn't that big. Look at the Marquette roster you see Georgia, Texas, Canada, Virgina, Pennsylvania, you see about 3 or 4 players from Wisconsin.

The talent pool in the Wisconsin area isn't that big. Look at the Marquette roster you see Georgia, Texas, Canada, Virgina, Pennsylvania, you see about 3 or 4 players from Wisconsin.

Right next to Chicago though.

Which are going to Illinois, Ohio State, Indiana, etc, before Marquette.

You guys are way over thinking this thing. If he wants to be in the part of the country he is from, he will take the job. The only thing I see screwing it up is Arky.

Right next to Chicago though.

Not just Chicago (which is very close) but Minniapolis/St. Paul, Indianapolis and St. Louis are all within a reasonable drive. We tend to have a different perspective on proximity because Texas is so big. All of those cities are as close to Millwauki as Houston is to Norman.

Back