Can’t stay with Pokes

bluesooner17

Reaction score
Sooners fatigued after playing too often with too few players

By Abby Bitterman
For The Transcript

Down 24 points in the fourth quarter, OU faced its biggest deficit of the game Tuesday night when Skylar Vann found herself wide open under the basket.

Neveah Tot hit her fellow freshman with a quick pass and Vann put in the easy layup. Sophomore Gabby Gregory hit a 3-pointer on the Sooners’ next possession after Tot stole the ball from Oklahoma State (4-2, 1-0 Big 12). Vann followed that up with a 3-point basket of her own.

Scoring became contagious for OU (1-4, 0-2 Big 12) for the first time in the game.

Vann’s layup triggered a 14-0 scoring run for the Sooners, but the comeback attempt proved too little, too late as Oklahoma State beat OU 66-53 in the first Bedlam game of the season inside Lloyd Noble Center.

“You could see the character of our team in the fourth quarter,” OU coach Sherri Coale said. “A lesser bunch would have just packed it up and said ‘We’ll play another day,’ and the character of our guys wouldn’t allow that.”

After a slow start that saw OU only score 8 points in the first quarter and 20 points in the first half, the Sooners finished the game with their best ball. OU scored 23 points in the fourth quarter, shooting 50 percent from the field and 50 percent from beyond the 3-point arc.

“We were able to get back and play at the pace we’ve practiced with for40 plus days getting ready for the season,” Coale said. “… and you could see in that fourth quarter that that’s our sweet spot. That’s the way we like to play. But we’ve got to do what we have to do to survive during this.”

Coale placed most of the blame for the loss on fatigue. Bedlam marked OU’s third game in six days — a stretch that started with a loss at Kansas last Thursday, followed by a win over Texas State on Sunday.

The quick turnaround time between games has been especially hard while OU’s 9-playr roster has been cut down due to COVID-19 contact tracing.

“It’s hard,” Coale said. “Three games in six days with six players is hard. I thought we showed the effects of that tonight.”

OU now gets four days off before playing South Dakota on Sunday. The break should give the Sooners a chance to practice, something Coale said the team hasn’t been able to do lately.

“I made a joke today, we don’t even have a walk-through, we have a talk-through,” Coale said. “Because we’re just trying to get as much information as we can and preserve as much energy as we can.

“So it will be nice to actually practice and work on some things that create positive timing and reap dividends on both ends of the floor.”

I don't think anyone really cares anymore but thanks for the update

Sherri's quest for a silver lining reminds me of a past basketball experience.

I was covering high school games for a Chicago suburban weekly paper.

My son's friend was a bench player for their very poor high school team.

I told him that if he scored I would get his name in the paper. They were crushed. Their game highlight for my son's school was a 6-0 scoring run. Of course, I reported his friend's only basket in the 6-0 run along with the other two scorers.

Last edited:
These games can not be put on Coale. They would have beat Kansas with a full roster. 6 players get tired. You have 3 freshman, 1 soph, 2 juniors. That means 4 girls have to play the whole game. This is valuable experience for these players. They will get better. Who thought Vann and Greer would play this much. When they have a full roster. Then, I will agree if they are losing.

These games can not be put on Coale. They would have beat Kansas with a full roster. 6 players get tired. You have 3 freshman, 1 soph, 2 juniors. That means 4 girls have to play the whole game. This is valuable experience for these players. They will get better. Who thought Vann and Greer would play this much. When they have a full roster. Then, I will agree if they are losing.

Let me see, you can have 15 players on scholarship in women's basketball. OU had 3 with COVID and 3 players opted out. Sherri has had a full roster in over a decade even though every scholarship has been paid for by donors. Who hasn't recruited a full complement of players?

I agree.....Coach needs to plan on : Illness, Covid, foul trouble, Ana is out for the year....YOU need extra girls to come off the bench to relieve the other girls. We may hang with a team for 3 quarters, but then they poop out cause they are tired. It's no fault of the girls....Just the coach. RECRUIT !!! Get some volleyball players.....whatever you need to do...Fill up the bench!!

I know that Ana is out with injury but still SC is responsible for only having 6 to 7 players who can take the court. For what ever reason she has run to many players off and she never recruits to the full scholarship limit thus we now have 6 to 7 players who cannot hold up during the Big 12. OU will be lucky to win 1 game in the Big 12. We are now the bottom feeders.

Sunday we play South Dakota, who has Aspen Willisten, who transferred there in the off season. Now that all DI transfers have been granted immediate eligibility, perhaps she will take us to town down at post later in the game when SD is up by 20+ points? Looks like SD has a very deep bench, unlike us. Maybe SC should chat with their coach and ask how she/he was able to be non-power 5 school and yet fill all scholarship spots with DI talent? Seems to be something SC really struggles with. I think in the past it was perhaps a choice to go with the better imaged gals, but I think now she's pretty much offering everyone (maybe most of the time too late in the game), and taking who she can get. I'm still pleasantly surprised by how Tot and Vann have played thus far. Greer doesn't seem to have that DI ability yet, perhaps she will with CP3 as her coach at some point.

Does anyone know if its possible to add players at the semester who would be eligible immediately? I'd be scrambling with a sense of urgency trying to find some bodies if I were her. I'd have too much pride as a coach and would fear the embarrassment of another single digit win season, again. SC doesn't seem to notice or care about these things, but us fans do.

The men’s team just added a player, Elijah Harkless, to their team who was immediately eligible and played the other day.

Sunday we play South Dakota, who has Aspen Willisten, who transferred there in the off season. Now that all DI transfers have been granted immediate eligibility, perhaps she will take us to town down at post later in the game when SD is up by 20+ points? Looks like SD has a very deep bench, unlike us. Maybe SC should chat with their coach and ask how she/he was able to be non-power 5 school and yet fill all scholarship spots with DI talent? Seems to be something SC really struggles with. I think in the past it was perhaps a choice to go with the better imaged gals, but I think now she's pretty much offering everyone (maybe most of the time too late in the game), and taking who she can get. I'm still pleasantly surprised by how Tot and Vann have played thus far. Greer doesn't seem to have that DI ability yet, perhaps she will with CP3 as her coach at some point.

Does anyone know if its possible to add players at the semester who would be eligible immediately? I'd be scrambling with a sense of urgency trying to find some bodies if I were her. I'd have too much pride as a coach and would fear the embarrassment of another single digit win season, again. SC doesn't seem to notice or care about these things, but us fans do.

Not likely to see Aspen much if at all. In 5 games she has 1 appearance in 1 game for 1 minute and went 0-1 from the field with 1 RB. Of course they could give her some minutes just because she previously played for the Sooners.

https://goyotes.com/documents/2020/12/17//South_Dakota_Stat_Book.pdf?id=6891

Back