Capel and Blake relationship last season

OKURanger

Reaction score
I read an SI article from Seth Davis posted on Monday (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/12/21/willie-warren/) that pulled from a discussion Davis had with Capel last Sunday, mainly in regards to Willie's performance thus far. If the article has already been discussed, I apologize for reintroducing it. Anyway, I read a quote that has caused me to have some faith in the rest of the season:

"Blake and I were texting yesterday. He was asking about Willie, and I reminded him that he didn't talk to me for about a month last year," Capel said.

Frankly, I was a bit surprised by that quote, but it has also given me some confidence that Willie's going to get it together at some point this season causing the team to play up to the expectations that many of us believed they would reach pre-season.

-capel says that he and blake butted heads at times

-capel also says that willie's only 20 and a sophomore, sometimes we forget that

how does that give you confidence.

The fact that last year's POY and Capel did not see eye to eye during the season leads me to believe that 1. Capel's methods of dealing with an uber-talented, young college hoops player works and 2. Willie's issues, whatever they are, can be fixed; otherwise, he wouldn't remind Blake about last year's non-speaking period.

how does that give you confidence. /QUOTE]

The fact that last year's POY and Capel did not see eye to eye during the season leads me to believe that 1. Capel's methods of dealing with an uber-talented, young college hoops player works and 2. Willie's issues, whatever they are, can be fixed; otherwise, he wouldn't remind Blake about last year's non-speaking period.

i read the quote as that WW and Capel didn't see eye to eye last year and didn't talk.
"Blake and I were texting yesterday. He was asking about Willie, and I reminded him that he didn't talk to me for about a month last year," Capel said.
I guess its one of those sentences where "he" can be taken to mean Willie or Blake.

To me it means Blake and Capel, but a logical person can see either with that sentence. To me though the context doesn't make sense if it's Willie.

If he was reminding him that he (Capel) and Willie didn't talk for a month, I don't think Capel would use it as a rebuttal, and to me it's a clear rebuttal.

To me, it seems unlikely that Jeff would be throwing it up in Blake's face if it was in fact, Blake he was referring to.

Yeah he's saying WW didn't talk to Capel, it doesn't seem like Blake's character to not talk to a coach for a month of a season.

Yeah he's saying WW didn't talk to Capel, it doesn't seem like Blake's character to not talk to a coach for a month of a season.

Yea, seemed pretty clear that he was talking about WW not talking to him for a month.

Blake is a coaches son he wouldn't ignore a coach for a month.

Good points by all and it makes more sense that "he" refers to WW and Capel versus Blake and Capel....Now I'm depressed about the situation.

Not good, if true. Capel should be able to smooth that stuff out. For him to not talk to a player for that long is poor coaching.

Geez.

If he was reminding him that he (Capel) and Willie didn't talk for a month, I don't think Capel would use it as a rebuttal, and to me it's a clear rebuttal.
The context I read into it was that Blake was essentially asking Capel if everything was alright and was worried about the team this year. Capel was reminding Blake that WW didn't talk to Capel for a month last year and they still had a pretty successful season and WW played well.

I am a Capel fan, but this thread worries me. Years ago when I began coaching, a respecteed coach told me that "coaching is a lot more coaching individuals than it is teaching X's and O's. A POed player can make a good plan go bad, and a dedicated and enthused player can take a lot of kinks out of a poor plan. I wonder if Capel is doing a good job of coaching individuals.

It is referring to WW in that he didn't talk to Coach for a month last year. Blake and Coach never butted heads.

You can't compare how you deal with Blake and Willie because Blake was far more mature and team oriented.

I am a Capel fan, but this thread worries me. Years ago when I began coaching, a respecteed coach told me that "coaching is a lot more coaching individuals than it is teaching X's and O's. A POed player can make a good plan go bad, and a dedicated and enthused player can take a lot of kinks out of a poor plan. I wonder if Capel is doing a good job of coaching individuals.
I bet Phil Jackson would agree with that.

Back