Capel and Blake relationship last season

Good for Jeff. It's about time people stop treating Willie like a baby. Apparently Willie didn't learn anything from being around Blake last year. Since there is a kiss WW butt thread, I may have to start a WW GROW UP thread if pleading and begging doesn't work. lol

re-read the whole article, it was blake who didn't talk to capel for a month

re-read the whole article, it was blake who didn't talk to capel for a month

Yeah, when you read the quote in context, it seems pretty clear, I think, that he's talking about Blake:

Capel told me he and Griffin butted heads in similar fashion last season, but that the tension never boiled over into the public because Griffin was so dominant. "Blake and I were texting yesterday. He was asking about Willie, and I reminded him that he didn't talk to me for about a month last year," Capel said.

I think when I read this thread and keep it in context it is clear none of us have a clue as to what he is talking about. :woot

It is referring to WW in that he didn't talk to Coach for a month last year. Blake and Coach never butted heads.
Interesting that you say this with such force, as I don't think you're right, and certainly the person that wrote the article doesn't think you're right.

Apparently Willie didn't learn anything from being around Blake last year.
You're saying Willie didn't learn anything from Blake not talking to Capel for a month?

What's bewildering to me is that nobody clicked on the link and read the article.

Last edited:
Blake is a coaches son he wouldn't ignore a coach for a month.

Lol!!!! I love blake, but you obviously never saw him play in HS. He probably took a liking to Capel because he was tired of his father. Some classic stare downs during those years. It payed off though.

Interesting that you say this with such force, as I don't think you're right, and certainly the person that wrote the article doesn't think you're right.

I say this with such force because I a family friend of the Griffins and I know it isn't true. Several on this board can attest to my knowledge when it comes to Blake but take it as you will, I know its not true.

I say this with such force because I a family friend of the Griffins and I know it isn't true. Several on this board can attest to my knowledge when it comes to Blake but take it as you will, I know its not true.

Too me it's funny, because I think both Blake and Willie are introverts. The difference to me is adversity fuels blake and it discourages Willie.

Too me it's funny, because I think both Blake and Willie are introverts. The difference to me is adversity fuels blake and it discourages Willie.

Blake really isn't if you knew him. He does act that way but behind the scenes the dude is a crack up!

Blake really isn't if you knew him. He does act that way but behind the scenes the dude is a crack up!

Sorry, i was refering to oncourt personality. I don't know Blake or Willie on that level personally, but both have similar oncourt personalities.

So Seth Davis is lying?

I hope he is, although since Blake is gone who really cares, this is common place at all levels of basketball.

Wouldn't be the first time Seth Davis has stretched the truth in one of his articles.

Wouldn't be the first time Seth Davis has stretched the truth in one of his articles.
Very true. Odd that he would think he could slip that in about the #1 pick in the draft, and the best college basketball player I can remember in a quarter century.

The article is about Willie's struggles. If there were any ambiguity in Capel's statements to the author, the story would almost certainly have painted Willie as last year's culprit.

Capel could very well have been exaggerating the time frame of his and Blake's communication difficulties, but it's pretty much impossible that Capel's quote is referring to Willie.

Capel could very well have been exaggerating the time frame of his and Blake's communication difficulties, but it's pretty much impossible that Capel's quote is referring to Willie.
Agreed, and the writer who wrote the article plainly says it's about Blake. Now, we are being told that Seth Davis is lying, but in this instance I don't think so.

Last edited:
Agreed, and the writer who wrote the article plainly says it's about Blake. Now, we are being told that Seth Davis is lying, but in this instance I don't think so.

So are you saying that I'm lying? At no time did Capel and Blake butt heads last year and most definitely not for a month of no talking. The only time they butted heads, if you want to call it that, is when Blake came out and played for the Baylor game. Coach wanted no part of playing him and Blake begged and pleaded and dressed out for the game and finally coach put him in. I promise you had Blake not spoke to Coach for a month I would have heard about it.

Of course, no one has to be lying about this; Seth Davis could have misunderstood Capel -- the quote by itself is fairly ambiguous, would be nice to have the context -- or maybe Blake just didn't tell anyone about it. I don't know. Just ideas for why people wouldn't necessarily be deliberately lying about this.

That said, the article is pretty clear. Seth Davis makes it very obvious that the reader should think Capel was talking about Blake Griffin. I am at a loss as to what possible motive Seth Davis would have for lying or misleading people on the subject.

On the other hand, I can see why Blake's camp wouldn't want a story about him refusing to talk to his college coach during the season for a month to be made public.

I've e-mailed Seth Davis for clarification; will report back what he says.

Not good, if true. Capel should be able to smooth that stuff out. For him to not talk to a player for that long is poor coaching.

Geez.

LOL. Geez is right. Article never said that. Capel never said that. He said "he" (whether it be Willie or Blake" didn't talk to HIM for a month. You know like when your kid is mad at you and you are talking to them and they just give you short yes or no's or nods. Let's not twist this here TU.

I've e-mailed Seth Davis for clarification; will report back what he says.
Hopefully he will respond.

So are you saying that I'm lying?
Not in the least.

I'm sure there is some miss-communication somewhere. Davis could have heard incorrectly, for example. I doubt he is intentionally lying. It's not like he's talking about some bench warming scrub at a JUCO.

Last edited:
LOL. Geez is right. Article never said that. Capel never said that. He said "he" (whether it be Willie or Blake" didn't talk to HIM for a month. You know like when your kid is mad at you and you are talking to them and they just give you short yes or no's or nods. Let's not twist this here TU.

You are right. I'm sure that was great for the team, however it went down.

I don't have a kid, but I was a kid once. And I never got mad at my parents for a month. And had I tried, my father would have put an end to that very soon. Not a good comparison.

Capel let Willie play it out, and that isn't good. A coach needs to be on speaking terms with the second best player on the team. If you don't think that hurt the team, you are lying to yourself.

Back