Capel is 19-20 without Blake Griffin at Oklahoma.

thebigabd

Reaction score
A friend of mine (OSU fan) asked me what Capel's record at OU was without Blake, so a quick check at soonerstats.com and there you have it. Not a great run so far to say the least without Blake. I am not sure if it means anything or not, but its an interesting stat.

Capel is building the program with freshman so eventually it will work out. He is just doing it from the ground up his way, and OU is having some growing pains right now.

Someone feel free to check me, but I think I have the numbers right...

16-15 without Blake in first year
2-1 without Blake in 2007-2008
0-2 without Blake in 2008-2009
2-2 without Blake this season

Last edited:
I dont say much on here but abd your multiple negative threads are annoying. We get it you dont think this team is very good.

A friend of mine (OSU fan) asked me what Capel's record at OU was without Blake, so a quick check at soonerstats.com and there you have it. Not a great run so far to say the least without Blake. I am not sure if it means anything or not, but its an interesting stat.

Capel is building the program with freshman so eventually it will work out. He is just doing it from the ground up his way, and OU is having some growing pains right now.

Someone feel free to check me, but I think I have the numbers right...

16-15 without Blake in first year
1-1 without Blake in 2007-2008
0-2 without Blake in 2008-2009
2-2 without Blake this season

I don't even consider the first year, but that's just me. This year we're obviously not very good, but the potential is there, unlike in Capel's first year. No one is more disappointed than me after this ugly start, but dealing out stats and comments as the ones above is ludicrous.

Obviously your buddy it trying to insinuate that Capel is not a good coach, but that's stupid. Ask Boeheim, Williams, Self...they will all tell you that great teams are all about talent and experience. Tell your friend the Suttons and Ford would say the same thing.

Not a great run so far to say the least without Blake. I am not sure if it means anything or not, but its an interesting stat.
It doesn't mean anything. Look, Jeff Capel has had success without Blake Griffin. In fact, he would not have this job if he didn't.

I think it would be pretty tough to make the argument that the record that first year was indicative of a poor or mediocre coaching job by Jeff Capel. The cupboard was bare, and injuries made it worse. It was a team that at times had to play Beau Gerber in the first half of games. And yes, we've lost games the last two years when Blake Griffin was injured. You lose your best player, it happens.

I don't even consider the first year, but that's just me. This year we're obviously not very good, but the potential is there, unlike in Capel's first year. No one is more disappointed than me after this ugly start, but dealing out stats and comments as the ones above is ludicrous.

Obviously your buddy it trying to insinuate that Capel is not a good coach, but that's stupid. Ask Boeheim, Williams, Self...they will all tell you that great teams are all about talent and experience. Tell your friend the Suttons and Ford would say the same thing.

I agree, like I said, I am not even sure the statistic means anything. He made a comment about how Capel has been bad and got lucky with Blake so I looked into it.

I think Jeff is a good coach and a better person... I am not one of those "fire the coach" type of people after some bad games. Its basketball, you will lose some.

I agree, like I said, I am not even sure the statistic means anything. He made a comment about how Capel has been bad and got lucky with Blake so I looked into it.

I think Jeff is a good coach and a better person... I am not one of those "fire the coach" type of people after some bad games. Its basketball, you will lose some.

I know, never assumed you were and I apologize if you thought I was directing that toward you.

My biggest concern right now is that we have 3 post players on scholarship who contribute very little COMBINED. Orlando has a good second half last night on the boards, is that a fluke or something we will see going forward. Wright is soft, he's going to get you some hustle plays throughout the course of the season, but not much. Hardrick shouldn't even be on scholarship, that should have been given to a physical JUCO player (as much as many hate to hear that).

It's just a little frustrating for me because it seems our McD's All-Americans are not making as large of an impact as on other teams. However, I think that has to deal with the surrounding talent more than their individual skills.

Id be more worried about it if Capel looked clueless, like a Quin Snyder. I think Capel knows the game, knows how to coach. But this team is very, very young, and although this year may end up a disappointment i believe we will be solid for a long time to come.

I never thought bigabd one of the negatives.

Capel is a superb recruiter and I think a solid coach.

A lot of us are used to Kelvin's in your face defense and Kelvin was a defense first coach. Jeff's defenses are not at that level yet. He is more of an offense first coach. That is what a lot of people have been crying for for years.

The team is young and just don't do the things consistently that they will be doing better by the end of the year. Tiny seems to start each game like the second coming of Blake but then almost disappears. I think the other freshmen will make good contributions before the season is over but hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

All of this is just so much talk if the Sooners rebound the next two games. Fans tend to overreact to a single game or even a single play in a game. Fortunately, good coaches don't.

Can you name an offense first coach that was actually successful?

Don't say Tubbs because only fools think OU didn't play defense in the Tubbs era.

Big, ask your Okie State friend how it feels for his 9-2 football team to be 8 point underdogs to a 6-5 OU team tomorrow.

Oklahoma State is a school of rejects.

He is more of an offense first coach. That is what a lot of people have been crying for for years.

The thing is, it isn't showing up in the box scores yet. I know to really evaluate this you'd have to look at pace and stuff like that, but a quick look at the numbers shows that OU averaged 73.75 points per game under Sampson, and 73.25 to date under Capel.

So the offense is really similiar, as far as points scored goes.

Can you name an offense first coach that was actually successful?

Don't say Tubbs because only fools think OU didn't play defense in the Tubbs era.

Tubbs' teams played the best D in the country...until the other advanced it successfully past halfcourt....Then, different story...

Back