Capel post game radio comments

So we are worse off?

We are significantly worse in year 4 than we were in year 1, so I suppose you could say that. There was a really good year 3, but there was someone kind of special going for 35 points and 20 rebounds every night for that team, lol.

I am going to put this out there again, and see if someone can show me that I am wrong.

Season 1- Awful
Season 2- Average
Season 3- Great (but no trophies)
Season 4- Disaster

Legitimate question ... has this season undone everything Capel built in the previous three years (particularly the two Griffin years)? Are we worse off today then, say, during Capel's first year?

Not if he can get us back in the mix next year. And that probably doesn't mean a bubble team. To really not have "undone" seasons 2 and 3, I think next year needs to be a top 4 Big 12 finish, and at least one win in the Dance.

We are significantly worse in year 4 than we were in year 1, so I suppose you could say that. There was a really good year 3, but there was someone kind of special going for 35 points and 20 rebounds every night for that team, lol.

I am going to put this out there again, and see if someone can show me that I am wrong.

Season 1- Awful
Season 2- Average
Season 3- Great (but no trophies)
Season 4- Disaster

I give him a pass on year one. I agree with 2, 3, 4.

I think this years team would obliterate year ones team. That team was AWFUL!!!! Then again we aren't much better this year..... Oh no, my head hurts now. :)

Most players improve from one year to the next.

I am more interested in maturity than physical talent. If there are this many disciplinary issues, etc. next year, then I am on board with a coaching change.

Coaching is as much about team building as anything. JC was lucky to have the Griffin brothers who took care of all the internal discipline. JC is going to have find a way to get the players to play for the front of the uni and not the back.

It's been an embarassing year, no doubt. But I think we have a point guard that will be one of the top 2 or 3 in the league for the next 3 years, TJ and CAM coming in to solidify the 2 and 3 positions along with Cade, Pledger and Willie if he stays.

Gallon will be much improved and learn how to use his skill set (which is phenominal) at the PF, C position to become an elite offensive player next season. However, he's just never going to be a great defender or rebounder but has a chance to be decent if he'll work.

A true Center would be awesome, then Tiny gets to play and more importantly defend the 4. These team should be okay next year if a big guy is landed.

Season 2 was "average"?

Yea, that team lost by double digits 9 times. KU beat them by 30, Louisville beat them by 30, Colorado beat them by 15, Nebraska beat them by 20, Texas beat them by 20 in Austin... Texas beat them by 30 in the Big 12 tournament.

That team got their asses handed to them a lot that year.. Now, they got into the NCAA Tournament but it was a very average year. I can't recall another year where I have seen OU get blown out like that so many times.

Yea, that team lost by double digits 9 times. KU beat them by 30, Louisville beat them by 30, Colorado beat them by 15, Nebraska beat them by 20, Texas beat them by 20 in Austin... Texas beat them by 30 in the Big 12 tournament.

That team got their asses handed to them a lot that year.. Now, they got into the NCAA Tournament but it was a very average year. I can't recall another year where I have seen OU get blown out like that so many times.

20+ wins, top 4 finish in the league, and making the NCAA tourney makes some past OU coaches a legend....add a NCAA tourney win and that is just icing on the cake.

20+ wins, top 4 finish in the league, and making the NCAA tourney makes some past OU coaches a legend....add a NCAA tourney win and that is just icing on the cake.

So when you get blown out by Nebraska, Colorado, and then get embarrassed by 30 points 3 times to Texas, Kansas, and Louisville its something of legends?

20 wins and getting beat by 30 in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament is an average year at OU, IMO.

So it would have been a better season if those games would have been single digit losses?

That year with that team was far from average. It was a very nice year for a young team that needed to make the tournament for the experience. It paid off with the success of last year.

So when you get blown out by Nebraska, Colorado, and then get embarrassed by 30 points 3 times to Texas, Kansas, and Louisville its something of legends?

20 wins and getting beat by 30 in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament is an average year at OU, IMO.

So, now it is "average at OU"?

In the last 20 years, OU has made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney only 8 times, that year was one of them.

It wasn't a great year by any means....I would call it a good year. The blowouts do sour the year a bit, I will agree on that.

Disagree with this to an extent...KU blowout was minus Blake, Lousiville was a match-up nightmare, we couldn't even get the ball past half-court. The CU, NU losses bother me, but in a sense we never play well up there (not an excuse).

Would of liked to be competitive against UT, but if I am remember correctly we beat them in Norman first. The Big XII tourney game was embarrassing, but that may have been the best game UT played all year...their guard play ran circles around us.

In short, when you have guard play as bad as ours was that year, you're going to lose some games by large margins because you can't manage the game.

Side note: Was at that game in KC, the next day's championship game between UT-KU was one of the best live games I have ever been to.

It's been an embarassing year, no doubt. But I think we have a point guard that will be one of the top 2 or 3 in the league for the next 3 years, TJ and CAM coming in to solidify the 2 and 3 positions along with Cade, Pledger and Willie if he stays.

Gallon will be much improved and learn how to use his skill set (which is phenominal) at the PF, C position to become an elite offensive player next season. However, he's just never going to be a great defender or rebounder but has a chance to be decent if he'll work.

A true Center would be awesome, then Tiny gets to play and more importantly defend the 4. These team should be okay next year if a big guy is landed.

You are counting on players that aren't even on campus yet to be 2 of our starters? Man thats scary these kids are in high school today.

Sadly campbest we lost a close battle (least I think it was close) in Norman to Texas, I think that is the game Longar broke his leg.

So it would have been a better season if those games would have been single digit losses?

That year with that team was far from average. It was a very nice year for a young team that needed to make the tournament for the experience. It paid off with the success of last year.

Going 21-12, 9-7 in the Big 12, getting a 6 seed, and getting run out of the gym in the NCAA Tournament is an average year AT OU. It just is. Its nothing special. Nobody is going to remember the great year of 2008, because it was average.

It was good because they got to the NCAA Tournament and finished 4th in conference (at 9-7), but it wasnt good because they got beat by 30 3-4 times and got blown out 7 or 8 times. Therefore, it is average, in my opinion.

Going 21-12, 9-7 in the Big 12, getting a 6 seed, and getting run out of the gym in the NCAA Tournament is an average year AT OU. It just is. Its nothing special. Nobody is going to remember the great year of 2008, because it was average.

It was good because they got to the NCAA Tournament and finished 4th in conference (at 9-7), but it wasnt good because they got beat by 30 3-4 times and got blown out 7 or 8 times. Therefore, it is average, in my opinion.

I agree that was just an average year. Is that year was above average that I have to high of expectations for the program

No one has used the word great, but saying it was average is being negative toward the accomplishment. On second thought not surprising for some on this board.

No one has used the word great, but saying it was average is being negative toward the accomplishment. On second thought not surprising for some on this board.

Your expectations of the program are to low

Average at OU is good at some places... I am sure folks in Boulder, Lincoln, Manhattan, Lubbock, and Ames would be thrilled to an average year like OU had in 2008.

Do you see what I am saying? It wasnt a good or great year at OU, but it would be a good or great year at some places in the Big 12.

Its not a knock on OU, and its not being negative toward them.

Back