Capel post game radio comments

Going 21-12, 9-7 in the Big 12, getting a 6 seed, and getting run out of the gym in the NCAA Tournament is an average year AT OU. It just is. Its nothing special. Nobody is going to remember the great year of 2008, because it was average.

It was good because they got to the NCAA Tournament and finished 4th in conference (at 9-7), but it wasnt good because they got beat by 30 3-4 times and got blown out 7 or 8 times. Therefore, it is average, in my opinion.

In general, I'm of the opinion a loss is a loss....I could care less if it was 4 points or 14 points or 24 points. Moral victories over close losses are for programs like your CU program.

Getting to the tournament is the #1 goal and then winning games in the tournament. I know others care more about the regular season and the Big 12 tournament, but those are just means to get the tournament.

Not every team at OU is created equal. That team that year performed above average. As a program I would agree that making it to the second round of the tournament is average. That team performed better than average.

Not every team at OU is created equal. That team that year performed above average. As a program I would agree that making it to the second round of the tournament is average. That team performed better than average.

Making the tournament is average for OU....winning the first round game isn't an every year occurrence.

But that isn't to say that year was great, because it wasn't.

Making the tournament is average for OU....winning the first round game isn't an every year occurrence.

But that isn't to say that year was great, because it wasn't.

No one said great. Most of the guys on that team had just come off being the first team in 25 years at OU to not make any post season action. They got Blake, who some bashed that year for not living up to his billing. Then they went 9-7 in conference and won a game in the tournament. Hell, that is better than some of Kelvin's good teams.

Not if he can get us back in the mix next year. And that probably doesn't mean a bubble team. To really not have "undone" seasons 2 and 3, I think next year needs to be a top 4 Big 12 finish, and at least one win in the Dance.

I think I am on board with this.

No one said great. Most of the guys on that team had just come off being the first team in 25 years at OU to not make any post season action. They got Blake, who some bashed that year for not living up to his billing. Then they went 9-7 in conference and won a game in the tournament. Hell, that is better than some of Kelvin's good teams.

I was reiterating that I personally wasn't arguing that season was great.

Not if he can get us back in the mix next year. And that probably doesn't mean a bubble team. To really not have "undone" seasons 2 and 3, I think next year needs to be a top 4 Big 12 finish, and at least one win in the Dance.

Didn't notice this before....I agree with this.

If next year's OU team is similar to the '08 team, it would be progress to set up the '12 teams...a team which should set up for a run depending on which players are still on the roster.

Our guys were arguing on the court about who needed to take the ball out after made CU baskets. That to me summed up the season.

So when you get blown out by Nebraska, Colorado, and then get embarrassed by 30 points 3 times to Texas, Kansas, and Louisville its something of legends?

20 wins and getting beat by 30 in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament is an average year at OU, IMO.

Don't forget, we also lost a home game to Stephen F Austin, but we also won a road game at WVa, and beat Gonzaga in OKC. We were also handily beaten by USC and Memphis...

I'm with abd...too many double-digit losses to good teams for that year to be considered anything other than mediocre.

Season 1- Awful
Season 2- Average
Season 3- Great (but no trophies)
Season 4- Disaster

This is the reality of the situation.

I love these revisionist theory posts. Season 1 was "awful" based on expectations? Really!? If so, then I just became an amazing prognosticator. I remember visiting back home in October of '06, and getting together for lunch with my former boss. He couldn't wait to bust on me about OU losing in the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament the previous spring. Practically verbattum, this is what was said next:

Me: I guarantee you that OU will not lose in the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament this season.

Him: They're not going to make it?

Me: No, not a chance. We lost three good seniors and our top two incoming recruits due to a coaching change. I'd say we're on the NIT bubble, at best; but no NCAA Tournament this year.

Until recently, I never gave that conversation much thought. Based on all these revisionist theory posts I've been reading lately, apparently I was a genious and just didn't realize it. I had thought 99.9% of OU fans would have come to the same obvious conclusion about that season, but I guess not.

As for Season 2 being "average", that was almost as ridiculous as the Season 1 recap. We weren't in the preseason top 25 (nor should we have been), yet won a 1st round NCAA Tournament game as a seed lower than #3 for the second time in 20 years. Average? Uh, okay.

At least you got Seasons 3 and 4 correct...pretty hard to screw those two up.

Our guys were arguing on the court about who needed to take the ball out after made CU baskets. That to me summed up the season.

I have seen this a few times this season.... especially in Alaska. :eek: I just hope it doesn't get bad enough to where a couple of our players start throwing jabs at each other.

:clap

Im not sure where the Tiny is leaving stuff came from. I also agree that most players improve from one year to the next. I also think that the biggest jump is after their freshman year. So, I expect Tiny to be here 1, and be much improved 2, just b/c he'll be a sophomore. Call me naive, but I've seen it happen over the years so I fugure the trend will continue.

From Tiny himself on his Facebook page. He basically said he will evaluate where he is at when the season is over and decide from there whether he decides to go or stay.

Coach Capel made some interesting comments on his and Sherri Coale's radio show Thursday. It sounded like he and his staff are reconsidering their recruiting philosophy, putting more emphasis on character and leadership. Seems that NC and UConn were having agenda problems this season as well. They all lost players who, although they were exceptional players, were the hardest workers on their team.

Last edited:
Coach Capel made some interesting comments on his and Sherri Coale's radio show Thursday. It sounded like he and his staff are reconsidering their recruiting philosophy, putting more emphasis on character and leadership. Seems that NC and UConn were having agenda problems this season as well. They all lost players who, although they were exceptional players, were the hardest workers on their team.

Rumors flying around that Ed Davis has already signed with an agent.

From Tiny himself on his Facebook page. He basically said he will evaluate where he is at when the season is over and decide from there whether he decides to go or stay.

Really? I didn't know that. Well I'll go on record saying I hope he stays, b/c he can only get better. I think the bigger problem there is why is he saying that on FB. Geez, these kids have got to stop sharing every thought they have with the world.

Back