Capel Radio interview Notes on 1400, 4:45 4/27/2010

Sam

Reaction score
Took some rapid fire notes, cleaned it up a little here they are.

Capel on new players
- Guys that want to be here.
- Good players, contributors.
- Obviously a Rough season that taught valuable lessons
- Is Excited about guys coming in.
- Nick 6’9, 6’10 skilled 4 man. Played the 3 for eastern Utah, shoot, put it on the floor. Not elite but good enough of an athlete. Has good length
- CJ, 1st team juco, adds depth. Great numbers good production in juco. Capel likes Conners St’s head coach, CJ rebound wells, 17 feet in jumper, best ball in front of him
Carl Blair – he just got better and better as a freshman. Averaged 11 points in conference, final 10 games or so 14 points a game. Was in Norman this past weekend with his family. Recruited last season out of prep school so the staff was familiar with him

Paid their (Washington and Blair) own way to come here because of limited official numbers

Still looking for one more point guard. Hoping for some good news

Foreign prospects

Coach Goodman on the road, was set to go to Germany before the Volcano. Capel didn't mention if he made it over seas or not but at the very least he did not make it Germany. Also seems to be another prospect over there (not in Germany)

Good chance we bring in 2

Capel doesn't sign players to just bring them in.

Possible to get good late players, talking about VCU experience.

Finding gems after being named head coach who ended up being some of the best players on his NCAA tournament team at VCU.

Understands that the Big 12 is very different than the Colonial but still thinks he can find contributors late.

Thinks he has done a solid job of getting more players, a good job of filling needs.

Likes the core group of guys coming back a lot.

The have worked very hard the past six weeks.

Different for newcomers in who they have to follow in a good way from last year.

OU basketball's culture changing in a good way.

Not worried about the past, excited about the future. This isn’t a front, really likes the options.

Assistant Coach
Wants a very good coach, experience. Somebody he trusts, is a grinder, has OU basketball 1c on priorities behind Religion and Family
Wants a grinder, not afraid to work who won't mind long hours in the office. Has talked to a few guys trying to get a feel.
Opening happened during recruiting, so he focused on recruiting.
Focusing on 2011 and 2012 now as 2010 is all but wrapped up.
Not a great hurry in hiring a coach due to recruiting being done till July
Wants to get it right, cause of importance.

Team Next Year
Way too far ahead to envision how the lineup will be next year, just catching his breath from the past couple weeks.

Fantasy camp
Hollis
Griffins
Harvey
Coach Tubbs
Ryan Minor
mentioned along with others
Similarities to MJ's fantasy camp and K Academy (Duke)

Men 30 years and older

Very competitive
Lots of games

Get the greats back
Very important due to OU’s great tradition.
Get Tubbs, Bliss, Sampson, McCloud Guys back

One Oklahoma, no divison between different era (coaching staff) of players
July 1st-4th

Team USA
Will be coaching the under 18 team in San Antonio this June. Very excited to be a part of it.

The rest of the interview Hale was asking him about the Thunder Lakers series and other NBA playoff stuff

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up. I bet the fantasy camp would be a lot of fun.

Thanks Sam, great info. I might add before the inevitable deluge of questions come that he cannot talk about Newell until he has signed a LOI.

Yeah Senior, I am assuming when he said good news on the recruiting front he might have been referencing Newell.

I listened to the interview; Capel sounded like he was high on Nick as a fit on his team and in his system.

Capel likes Conners St’s head coach Rebound wells

Maybe we could get Coach Wells as an assistant! With a name like that he's got to be good!

Just kidding, thanks a bunch for the update. Fantasy camp sounds great!:billy

His name is Coach Muse not Wells, the rebound wells was apart of Capel's comments on CJ. Sorry for the confusion.

No one has ever questioned Coach Capel's recruiting ability,he has gone out & got some pretty good players for a short period of time..Now let's mold this group into a team & play some basketball next season!!!!!!!GO SOONERS!!!!!!!

Fantasy Camp? Man, I am all over that! I haven't been to a basketball camp since I went to Billy Tubbs basketball camp 25 years ago. I almost won the hot-shot competition but was beaten by a guy from Durant who ended up starting at OSU for Eddie Sutton. White guy, tall...can't remember his name.

John Potter? Was he from Durant?

Yep, that's him. He was by far the best player at the camp I attended. It didn't hurt that he was 6'7" and could shoot the rock from what is now 3 point land (this was before the 3 point line).

Newell has verbally committed to OU, per numerous sources, but has not yet signed an LOI. There is a RUMOR that he has some work left to do to qualify. Capel cannot talk about him yet because he has not signed.

Yep, that's him. He was by far the best player at the camp I attended. It didn't hurt that he was 6'7" and could shoot the rock from what is now 3 point land (this was before the 3 point line).

He was also a punk, at least at OSU. I remember watching an Aggie vs Mizzou game I think where he just totally clotheslined a dude and about started a brawl. He liked to use his elbows...

I vaguely remember John Potter at OSU. Does anyone know if he's part of the Potter's family that makes Potter's Sausage at Durant?

I vaguely remember John Potter at OSU. Does anyone know if he's part of the Potter's family that makes Potter's Sausage at Durant?

Pretty sure he is from that same family.

And, people might have forgotten that he signed with OU out of high school but didn't show for some reason. I wish I could remember the reason. He was a big-time scorer at Durant, but he was an unknown recruit at the time.

I don't know.

I do know he was one of the "super 5" his sr. year in HS, which would have been somewhere between 86 and 88. He signed with a small school, maybe Southeastern in Durant and then transferred to OSU a few years later. I befriended him at camp and then I'd see him a Falls Creek. Since I knew him, I followed his career in HS and college, and was surprised he didn't transfer to OU. I would guess he wanted to, but Tubbs didn't have a spot for him, but I don't know that for sure.

Pretty sure he is from that same family.

And, people might have forgotten that he signed with OU out of high school but didn't show for some reason. I wish I could remember the reason. He was a big-time scorer at Durant, but he was an unknown recruit at the time.

You are right, he did sign with OU. I can't remember why he didn't show, but I'm pretty sure he played a season or 2 at Southeastern before transferring to OSU.

I also remember he was a Sr. on Sutton's first team, and I heard some pretty good stories about Eddie making him run at 5 am for disciplinary reasons. He was a very dirty player in college and that really surprised me because he didn't play like that at camp or in HS (as far as I knew).

Took some rapid fire notes, cleaned it up a little here they are.

Capel on new players
- Guys that want to be here.
- Good players, contributors.
- Obviously a Rough season that taught valuable lessons
- Is Excited about guys coming in.
- Nick 6’9, 6’10 skilled 4 man. Played the 3 for eastern Utah, shoot, put it on the floor. Not elite but good enough of an athlete. Has good length
- CJ, 1st team juco, adds depth. Great numbers good production in juco. Capel likes Conners St’s head coach, CJ rebound wells, 17 feet in jumper, best ball in front of him
Carl Blair – he just got better and better as a freshman. Averaged 11 points in conference, final 10 games or so 14 points a game. Was in Norman this past weekend with his family. Recruited last season out of prep school so the staff was familiar with him

Paid their (Washington and Blair) own way to come here because of limited official numbers

Still looking for one more point guard. Hoping for some good news

Foreign prospects

Coach Goodman on the road, was set to go to Germany before the Volcano. Capel didn't mention if he made it over seas or not but at the very least he did not make it Germany. Also seems to be another prospect over there (not in Germany)

Good chance we bring in 2

Capel doesn't sign players to just bring them in.

Possible to get good late players, talking about VCU experience.

Finding gems after being named head coach who ended up being some of the best players on his NCAA tournament team at VCU.

Understands that the Big 12 is very different than the Colonial but still thinks he can find contributors late.

Thinks he has done a solid job of getting more players, a good job of filling needs.

Likes the core group of guys coming back a lot.

The have worked very hard the past six weeks.

Different for newcomers in who they have to follow in a good way from last year.

OU basketball's culture changing in a good way.

Not worried about the past, excited about the future. This isn’t a front, really likes the options.

Assistant Coach
Wants a very good coach, experience. Somebody he trusts, is a grinder, has OU basketball 1c on priorities behind Religion and Family
Wants a grinder, not afraid to work who won't mind long hours in the office. Has talked to a few guys trying to get a feel.
Opening happened during recruiting, so he focused on recruiting.
Focusing on 2011 and 2012 now as 2010 is all but wrapped up.
Not a great hurry in hiring a coach due to recruiting being done till July
Wants to get it right, cause of importance.

Team Next Year
Way too far ahead to envision how the lineup will be next year, just catching his breath from the past couple weeks.

Fantasy camp
Hollis
Griffins
Harvey
Coach Tubbs
Ryan Minor
mentioned along with others
Similarities to MJ's fantasy camp and K Academy (Duke)

Men 30 years and older

Very competitive
Lots of games

Get the greats back
Very important due to OU’s great tradition.
Get Tubbs, Bliss, Sampson, McCloud Guys back

One Oklahoma, no divison between different era (coaching staff) of players
July 1st-4th

Team USA
Will be coaching the under 18 team in San Antonio this June. Very excited to be a part of it.

The rest of the interview Hale was asking him about the Thunder Lakers series and other NBA playoff stuff

I'm a lil fuzzy on the paid their own way. Does that mean they paid for their visits but will be on scholarship?

Back