Former Players and Coaches

HCC just best Eastern Arizona 61-46. It was a choppy, plodding type of first half (exactly what EAJC wanted) that ended in a 24 all tie before the Lady Dragons put the jets on & started hitting in transition & winning on drives in the 2nd. They will play for the natty Monday night @ 7, & it will be televised on ESPNU.

CHAMPS! I’ll be honest, I thought for all the world that I was going to be dropping a different note here, but after blowing a big 3rd quarter lead to the defending champs from NW Florida, HCC dug down deep & long story short, got fouled on a 3 with 7 tenths of a second left on the clock. 3 clutch free throws later, & they headed to overtime, where the Lady Dragons dominated & gave coach Ontjes his first national championship in 4 trips to the title game ( pretty much the only bugaboo on his record), 88-80. HCC finishes the season 37-0. Oh, & in a little bit of an anomaly, there isn’t a 6 footer on the roster.

Game article:

Last edited:
Kind of an obvious choice. BTW, that record includes 30 games that they won, but forfeited when it was found that a player was not eligible.

Charlotte, NC - Hutchinson head coach John Ontjes has been named the 2023-24 NJCAA Division I Women's Basketball Coach of the Year.

Coach Ontjes entered his 17th season as head coach for the Blue Dragons. Ontjes' coaching record is now 483-96 overall, including an astounding 276-54 mark in Jayhawk Conference games. Ontjes is Hutchinson's all-time women's basketball coaching wins' leader and leader in winning percentage (83.4 percent).

Josh Gooch, Athletic Director- "John Ontjes would be the first to tell you that being named Coach of the Year is about having great players. He would also tell you that his assistants Phil Anderson and Travis Kirk are the best in the business. Coach Ontjes has the ability to bring the best out in a staff and a group of players maximizing the talents of all."

The Blue Dragons began the preseason unranked before moving into the No.22 spot in the week one rankings. They slowly climbed up in the poll before finally settling into the No.1 spot in week 11. Hutchinson finished out the regular season ranked in the top spot of the national rankings before being awarded the No.1 seed in the national tournament.

Before Ontjes' arrival prior to the 2007-08 season, Hutchinson women's basketball had never had an All-American. The program now has 18 NJCAA All-Americans. Ontjes has coached seven KJCCC Most Valuable Players, seven KJCCC Freshmen of the Year, and 50 All-KJCCC Players.

Josh Gooch, Athletic Director- "Coach Ontjes runs his program with great attention to detail from practice prep to in game strategy. Blue Dragon women's basketball is blessed to have such a great leader for the program."

Back