Capel to coach national U18 basketball team

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Capel_to_coach_national_U18_basketball_team_92932169.html

Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel has been selected to lead the U.S. U18 team in San Antonio next month, officials from USA Basketball announced Wednesday.

Capel’s assistants will be Georgia Tech head coach Paul Hewitt and Buffalo head coach Reggie Witherspoon.

The coaches will lead the U.S. team into the FIBA Americas U18 Championship, scheduled for June 26-30 at St. Mary’s University.

- Jerry Briggs

Make some great connections... Recruiting the future!

Any word on who is on the team? This can't hurt for recruiting.

Capel must be well thought of among his peers to be selected for this. Congrats Coach.

I'm all for it, but that big Sooner fan Cheno won't be happy about it.

I've been searching for a roster but havent come up with anything as of yet..

Accepting invitations to attend the 2010 USA Basketball U18 National Team training camp were: Tracy Abrams (Mount Carmel H.S. / Chicago, Ill.); Keith Appling (Pershing H.S. / Detroit, Mich.); Vander Blue (James Madison Memorial H.S. / Madison, Wis.); Michael Chandler (Lawrence North H.S. / Indianapolis, Ind.); Trevor Cooney (Sanford H.S. / Wilmington, Del.); Abdul Gaddy (Washington / Tacoma, Wash.); Joshua Hairston (Montrose Christian School (Md.) / Fredericksburg, Va.); P.J. Hairston (Dudley Senior H.S. / Greensboro, N.C.); Tobias Harris (Half Hollow Hills West H.S. / Brookville, N.Y.); Mikael Hopkins (DeMatha Catholic H.S. / Hyattsville, Md.); Joe Jackson (White Station H.S. / Memphis, Tenn.); Terrence Jones (Jefferson H.S. / Portland, Ore.); Meyers Leonard (Robinson H.S. / Robinson, Ill.); Sheldon McClellan (Bellaire H.S. / Pearland, Texas); Quincy Miller (Quality Education Academy / Winston-Salem, N.C.); Jereme Richmond (Waukegan H.S. / Waukegan, Ill.); Austin Rivers (Winter Park H.S. / Winter Park, Fla.); Joshua Smith (Kentwood H.S. / Kent, Wash.); T.J. Taylor (Denison H.S. / Denison, Texas); Amir Williams (Detroit Country Day / Detroit, Mich.); and Patric Young (Providence School / Jacksonville, Fla.).
(Source)

The team will be narrowed to 12 at the camp.

It might get weird if T.J. Taylor doesn't make the cut.

Contrary to belief there are still people in the college basketball world that think highly of Coach Capel. CONGRATS COACH! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Here are the U18 invitees that are 2011 recruits (same link):
The nine-members of the Class of 2011 are all found among the ESPNU Super 60 listing. Rivers lists #2, Miller #7, P.J. Hairston #16, Williams #17, Cooney #25, Chandler #27, Hopkins #36, Abrams #43 and McClellan #49.

At ESPN, Miller lists OU as a possibility.

I'm all for it, but that big Sooner fan Cheno won't be happy about it.

What a sad world you live in.

Jeff Capel works extremely hard in recruiting. He's all over the AAU circuit and the shoe camps. And I truly believe he does it the right way.

If asking consistency of opposing fans in their critiques of our coaches means I live in a sad world, then so be it.

But what's bad for the goose is bad for the gander.

You used to insist that it was a bad practice on its face for our former coach to take these kind of assignments. Others, me among them, felt otherwise, arguing that it gave our program prestige and legitimacy in the basketball community for our head coach to be asked to coach these teams, and successfully.

Therefore, I'm pleased Coach Capel is undertaking this type of assignment, just as I was when our former coach did. You, on the other hand, chastised our former coach for it, so is it not reasonable to ask for consistency on your part?

Last edited:
Therefore, I'm pleased Coach Capel is undertaking this type of assignment, just as I was when our former coach did. You, on the other hand, chastised our former coach for it, so is it not reasonable to ask for consistency on your part?

No, I chastised the former coach for not recruiting as hard as I thought he should. For not attending AAU tourney's and Shoe camps hard all summer long like most of the coaches at top programs. And for doing Team USA after Team USA assignment after assignment as opposed to those things I mentioned above. And then later I chastised him when it came out he was cheating in recruiting while doing all that. What was I thinking?
And I wasn't the only one that had the same issues.
But nonetheless everyone that was here, including yourself, knows that was the full context of my argument. To take this chance to take a swipe at me and pull just one part of my argument out, once again...is, well, quite sad.
But hey, congrats, once again you've turned a perfectly good thread into a pissing match. Once again you've accomplished your sad little goal.
Have a great day in the big city.

No, I chastised the former coach for not recruiting as hard as I thought he should.

No, you flat out criticized our former coach for taking such assignments and dismissed the very idea, advocated by me and many others, that OU hoops would be well served by the prestige and exposure gained from his participation in the guiding of the national team.

And now you're throwing in the phone stuff in an attempt to buttress your argument, though it has nothing whatsoever to do with this topic.

To take this chance to take a swipe at me and pull just one part of my argument out, once again...is, well, quite sad.

I'm very sorry to have made you sad. Chin up, sport.

No, you flat out criticized our former coach for taking such assignments and dismissed the very idea, advocated by me and many others, that OU hoops would be well served by the prestige and exposure gained from his participation in the guiding of the national team.

And now you're throwing in the phone stuff in an attempt to buttress your argument, though it has nothing whatsoever to do with this topic.

YARDLEYqas1%20(7).jpg

OU_logo.png
U0003E.png
footer_jayhawk.gif

In the sport of life.

LOL. "Nothing whatsoever to do with this topic"???? That's your obsession with me in this thread. I did criticize him for coaching so many USA teams WITH the fact he dismissed the importance of summer recruiting and didn't recruit summer camps and AAU hard. Yep. 100% I did that. And I was right. And then that is why in my post I said "and then later I chastised him when it came out he was cheating". I said "and then later". Deflect, deflect, deflect. You sire are the king of it. Speaketh the facts. You pulled out one portion of my argument and left out the main portion (not attending AAU and Shoe camps like he should have) and pawned it off as the same as Capel coaching one USA team. That was misleading and wrong and everyone that was here knows it. So keep on showing your true colors sport.

You really want to bring up my criticism of Kelvin Sampson's recruiting?????
Really? I was spot on. So, sport, man up and let's discuss Kelvin Sampson's recruiting. Start a thread and I'm game. LOL...but we know you won't do that. That's not your NY City style.

Last edited:
Back