Capel will be on the Sports Animal tonight at 7

Coach just said he doesn't know if/how much it will happen, but "one of our better lineups could be with Tony Crocker at the 4." It's all depending on the matchups, he said.

Anything on if he was anticipating any more commits during the early signing period???

Unfortunately I missed the first 3/4ths or so of the interview. :(

When I turned it on Al asked him if they were going to be good enough defensively to go small and press, and that's when he said yes and started talking about the lineup with Crock at the 4. Then Al asked him about Blake and Taylor and that was the end of the interview.

Would anybody who heard the whole thing like to fill us in??

Basically similar stuff to what we talked about here as Fitz and Pledger were discussed as being better than expected (at least in Al's perspective). Talked about TMG in length, said TMG's main question mark was pretty much effort in regards to how he works and defensive effort. Said TMG is a very good defender when he wants to be the key is getting him to want it all time.

He also talked up Ryan Wright and said British Columbia was a bad match up for him in regards to their lack of real size. Also said a line up of 4 freshman (and a sophomore) is very possible.

Was watching the UNC game as well so I might left some out.

The Animal is usually pretty good at getting the interviews like that up in the next couple days.

Thanks, guys. I'm really dying for any new recruiting info, but I guess there just isn't any right now. It seems like during those visits we were getting updates daily on new goings-on and now that the signing period is actually there's just nothing to do but sit and wait.

I think Ryan Wright will be a good role player/defensive presence for us in the post and may start throughout the year depending on the match-ups. I really hope TMG starts picking it up in practice because he's got serious potential to be huge for us this year...

Thanks, guys. I'm really dying for any new recruiting info, but I guess there just isn't any right now. It seems like during those visits we were getting updates daily on new goings-on and now that the signing period is actually there's just nothing to do but sit and wait.

I think Ryan Wright will be a good role player/defensive presence for us in the post and may start throughout the year depending on the match-ups. I really hope TMG starts picking it up in practice because he's got serious potential to be huge for us this year...
Given the rules on recruiting Coaches can't even talk about recruits till they have signed their letter of intents. So it was really doubtful there would be any recruiting info in this interview. I'm sure we'll know a lot more by the end of this week as I bet Harrison's commitment to whoever it is going to cause domino to fall.

Crocker at the 4 or all 4 freshmen starting is interesting

Those comments suggest either:

Team (1) Gallon at center, Crocker at 4, Pledger/WW at 3 and 2 and TMG at point; or,

Team (2) Gallon at center, Fitz at 4, Pledger/WW at 3 and 2 and TMG at point

Given Coach Capel's comments a few weeks ago about how his biggest concern this year was who would rebound, I have a hard time seeing Crocker spending much time at the four. But who knows...

Al asked does he know who will play and how much. Coach said he wasn't exactly sure but said WW = 30+, TC = 30, TMG will play alot, next name he said which I found curious was Wright, then Gallon, Pledger, Cade. He kind of started rambling after this and threw in Willis. Oh yeah he said Fitz too in the first few names after Wright.

The order may not have mattered but it sure sounded like it did. 2 things I found interesting...Wright mentioned third and Pledger mentioned before Cade

Given Coach Capel's comments a few weeks ago about how his biggest concern this year was who would rebound, I have a hard time seeing Crocker spending much time at the four. But who knows...

I think the comment about Tony at the 4 has a lot to do with pushing him to work hard and the fact that he is impressed with Pledger. I really don't think we will see Tony on the bench much this season or at the 4 much. He is just too experienced. (If we do it meas OU is really good, you just don't sit a three year starter or move him unless you have a darn good reason).

I think the comment about Tony at the 4 has a lot to do with pushing him to work hard and the fact that he is impressed with Pledger. I really don't think we will see Tony on the bench much this season or at the 4 much. He is just too experienced. (If we do it meas OU is really good, you just don't sit a three year starter or move him unless you have a darn good reason).

Agreed. Crocker is our best defensive match-up in the back court, gives a us some perimeter size, can shot about as well as anyone on the team, and is an experienced stabilizing force. You better believe he will play more minutes than anyone on this team not named Willie Warren.
:crocker

I agree Gutter. Don't think it will happen, either.

Actually, I think rebounding being a concern is exactly why you go small. If our bigs aren't rebounding, then they aren't bringing enough other things to the table to justify the minutes as opposed to the matchup problems a four guard lineup would create. Think about it...if Wright or Allen or Fitz aren't rebounding well, how much are they giving us out on the floor?

I agree Gutter. Don't think it will happen, either.

Don't think I'm being a smart-alec...I swear I'm not and I don't want you to think I am...but why do you think Capel said it if he wasn't going to do it?

Actually, I think rebounding being a concern is exactly why you go small. If our bigs aren't rebounding, then they aren't bringing enough other things to the table to justify the minutes as opposed to the matchup problems a four guard lineup would create. Think about it...if Wright or Allen or Fitz aren't rebounding well, how much are they giving us out on the floor?

Exactly. Coach mentioned some teams that he wouldn't be able to do this against (ex KU, ISU), but against teams that don't have two overly physical bigs, we will see Crock play some 4. Sometimes you have to play to your strengths....

Given the rules on recruiting Coaches can't even talk about recruits till they have signed their letter of intents. So it was really doubtful there would be any recruiting info in this interview. I'm sure we'll know a lot more by the end of this week as I bet Harrison's commitment to whoever it is going to cause domino to fall.

Yeah, I knew he wasn't allowed to say anything about any potential recruits, just was wondering if maybe they would ask if he was expecting any potential signings that were as of yet unknown. Oh well.

Back