Capel's job questions make no sense >>> Ft. Worth Star-Telegram

Re: Capel's job questions make no sense >>> Ft. Worth Star-Telegram

I just don't see Castiglione pulling the plug this year.

I just don't see Castiglione pulling the plug this year.

I have my doubts, too. The reporter's rationale makes perfectly good sense to me, with the first sentence in the quote below likely the reason why Joe C has been non-commital about Capel's future to this point. The $2 million buyout would get my attention as well:

Some say he hasn't made his mind up about Capel.

Personally, for him to let Capel go would be alien to anything he's ever done that I know about. Was he upset about all the insanity that surrounded Capel's team a year ago? Oh, yeah. Big time. But I also know he's good with the job Capel has done this season and wants to believe Capel's continuing message that better days are ahead.

I see no reason why he would pull the plug on Capel right now, the fact that he's signed through 2016 and it would cost him some $2 million to buy out the contract notwithstanding.

Then what? What's he going to have to pay the next coach unless he finds another youngster in the profession who is ready to move up on a bargain contract. Is that going to excite an apathetic following that thinks winning is a birthright of crimson and cream?

its funny how one win against a bad team can change everyones view of a situation..

Lets not pretend there isnt a big * next to that win.. they were without their top 5 pick, and they mailed it in from the tipoff. The announcers pointed out all night that Baylor had no energy, like they didnt care, and thats how they looked and played.

If they lose tonight its still a 14-18 team and a horrible season..

Its not like they beat a good team last night.

its funny how one win against a bad team can change everyones view of a situation..

Lets not pretend there isnt a big * next to that win.. they were without their top 5 pick, and they mailed it in from the tipoff. The announcers pointed out all night that Baylor had no energy, like they didnt care, and thats how they looked and played.

Go ahead, make it a no-win game after the fact.

I kinda agree with you, but Perry isn't worth 20 points. We outplayed them. Period.

Actually it does make sense. He's ran this once proud program into the ground in a span of two years.

Did Perry not play when we beat them in Norman?

Capel has made two mistakes: misjudging TMG to be a serious player, teammate and a sufficiently serious student to make his grades AND saying (he said it and so must be held to it) that he would recruit him again. That positively mystifies me.

Funny how Capel wins and he get NO credit from you and other haters. But he loses and its all on him, he cant coach, he didnt sub good enough, he played some guy too long...

Funny how Capel wins and he get NO credit from you and other haters. But he loses and its all on him, he cant coach, he didnt sub good enough, he played some guy too long...

One thing I have noticed in my time on OU message boards; when a team wins, it is because of the players, and when they lose, it's because of the coach. Hope that helps. :p

On a serious note, it felt great to get a win like last night. :woot :dance005:

I give Capel all the credit in the world for landing Blake but I also have to blame him for being a terrible evaluator of character which has led to the downfall of this program. You can't have back to back losing seasons and keep your job.

Capel has made two mistakes: misjudging TMG to be a serious player, teammate and a sufficiently serious student to make his grades AND saying (he said it and so must be held to it) that he would recruit him again. That positively mystifies me.

Perhaps he would handle him differently if he signed him again. Perhaps he thinks he could do a better job and therefore it is OK to recruit a kid as talented as TMG that needs to extra off-court attention.

Funny how Capel wins and he get NO credit from you and other haters.

Fair enough. But if you want to give Capel credit for last night, I think it's fair to ask why did we not play a single game during the regular season at that level?

Either last night was a bit of a fluke (for a lot of reasons), or it means Capel has underachieved with this team all season. Take your pick.

Did the following things occur last night?

1.) Baylor was playing without a top 5 pick
2.) They could not have cared less about that game
3.) Their coach was practically in tears at halftime and after the game because of Perry Jones.

Im not saying OU didnt play well, they did, but they were playing against a broken basketball team and everyone watching could see that. Sure, OU did its job and won, but one win against a broken team who isnt even good in the first place should not make up for an entire body of work.

To be fair, there are several games this team played where if they'd made one or two less mistakes at the end game we'd be 18-14 or so instead. It didn't happen, but it's not like they *couldn't* have done it.

To be fair, there are several games this team played where if they'd made one or two less mistakes at the end game we'd be 18-14 or so instead. It didn't happen, but it's not like they *couldn't* have done it.

There were only 3, out of the 17 losses, that were even by single digit points.

Chaminade (lost by 4)
@ OSU (lost by 6)
Nebraska (lost by 1)

That is actually one of my biggest problems with Capel. People want to say they saw improvement. That they played hard. To me, by definition, when you are still losing by 20 points at the end of the season, your team is not improving and playing hard. We lost a TON of games by 15+ points, and were never really in them after 5-8 minutes of the game had been played.

That is terrible, and does not reflect "good" coaching. Nearly every game I watched, even the announcers questioned how "hard" OU was playing. Generally not the entire game (which was an improvement over last year), but at least for a half. Nearly every game I watched, I heard it mentioned.

To in direct response to your statement above, no, there weren't several games OU could have one. There were three. At most.

2.) They could not have cared less about that game3.) Their coach was practically in tears at halftime and after the game because of Perry Jones.

Im not saying OU didnt play well, they did, but they were playing against a broken basketball team and everyone watching could see that. Sure, OU did its job and won, but one win against a broken team who isnt even good in the first place should not make up for an entire body of work.

C'mon dude, they were on the fringe of a NCAA bid...beating OU and then UT would have put them into serious consideration.

2.) They could not have cared less about that game
3.) Their coach was practically in tears at halftime and after the game because of Perry Jones.

1.) He would have made an impact but not a sig one. it would be like a&m playing without deandre jordan. He will be a top pick in the draft but is still a project. And I guess you don't recognize alabama winning the national championship a couple years ago b/c colt didn't play
2. & 3) You would think that their players and coach would ahve performed better with their "star" player out. Trying to make up for their loss to play for him. They wouldn't have had anymore energy with him playing. and as someone else said, they had everything to play for. I don't buy the "they didn't care" bs

C'mon dude, they were on the fringe of a NCAA bid...beating OU and then UT would have put them into serious consideration.

Did you watch the game?

everyone knowsyou want capel fired. So they could have beaten Texas or duke and you still wouldn't give them credit, and that's a sad person that does something like that.

Back