OU should put a Buzz in basketball >>> Ft. Worth Star-Telegram

And I am not arguing that Buzz is a slam dunk, no doubt we need to hire him, hire.

The problem is the Big East has changed dramatically, so I would be more inclined to look at more recent history. (although the "powers" haven't really changed)

Disclaimer: I actually agree wholeheartedly the Big East is an overrated league. It's all we hear about night and day from a certain network, when the league, as you have shown, doesn't necessarily need to be pimped out 24/7.

I just can't buy that because you're semi-successful in the Big East, that it necessarily parlays into Big 12 success long-term. He's not going to inherit Tom Crean's players here. Sadly, he'd get a team with much less talent and have to coach them a lot better than he coached his team this last year. People can say "the Big East is tough", fine, but that's the league he coaches in. He's expected to recruit and coach capable of that league. He's not doing that at an astounding rate. How do we know he's not going to come in and tank? I think it's 50/50 at best. Jeff Capel was 50/50 next year. Why fire a decent coach to hire someone that could be just decent himself. I'm just not sold on a meddling coach with 3 years in the Big East. Especially since his first year or two, he was coming off Crean's successes. He's finally grasping the MU program and he's 20-14. If he's such a great coach and the Big East is so strong, why did he barely beat Utah State (by 1) and lose to Mizzou in 2009 and then Washington in 2010. So OU is reduced to a mirage of an overhyped league's coach that can't compete in the big dance? Wow.

Last edited:
Crean never finished higher than 4th in the Big East and finished 9th as well at Marquette. And according to Sagarin's conference ratings, the Big East is the #1 conference in the land this year. They hadn't been #1 in any of the previous 7 years.

Under Crean they improved every season record wise. Under Williams they have declined every season record wise.

Under Crean they improved every season record wise. Under Williams they have declined every season record wise.

Again, this year is also the best the Big East has been in the past 10 years and the Big East was better last year than the year before that.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. We're talking a couple of games. Way too many factors to consider. Youth on roster. Strength of schedule. Toughness of league you are in. Home and away games.

If I find the time, I'm going to try and detail some of this out later.

I just can't buy that because you're semi-successful in the Big East, that it necessarily parlays into Big 12 success long-term. He's not going to inherit Tom Crean's players here. Sadly, he'd get a team with much less talent and have to coach them a lot better than he coached his team this last year. People can say "the Big East is tough", fine, but that's the league he coaches in. He's expected to recruit and coach capable of that league. He's not doing that at an astounding rate. How do we know he's not going to come in and tank? I think it's 50/50 at best. Jeff Capel was 50/50 next year. Why fire a decent coach to hire someone that could be just decent himself. I'm just not sold on a meddling coach with 3 years in the Big East. Especially since his first year or two, he was coming off Crean's successes. He's finally grasping the MU program and he's 20-14. If he's such a great coach and the Big East is so strong, why did he barely beat Utah State (by 1) and lose to Mizzou in 2009 and then Washington in 2010. So OU is reduced to a mirage of an overhyped league's coach that can't compete in the big dance? Wow.

The Big EastPN is over hyped. We had this argument here last year around February or March.

Since 2000:

The Big East has the most total win in the NCAA Tournament (they have also had the most total bids since 2000 as well though).

The Big Twelve has had the best winning percentage in the NCAA Tournament.

The Big EastPN has had seven teams advance to the Final Four. The Big 12 has had seven teams advance to the Final Four.

The Big EastPN has had 16 teams advance to the regional finals. The Big 12 has had Eighteen teams advance to the regional finals.

The Big EastPN has had twenty-seven teams advance to Sweet 16. The Big 12 has had twenty-seven teams advance to the Sweet 16.

And Crean's winning % in the Big East actually went down his last year.

Last edited:
Marquette had one notable road win all season over UConn. They had four real OOC games and lost all four of them; only one was an away game, two home, and one neutral court. Marquette didn't get in in-spite of being in the Big East, they got in only because they played in the Big East. They finished tied for ninth and were seeded 11th in the Big East Tourney. You put their resume blindly on any other team out of a different conference in the country and they're hosting a first round game in the NIT.

You might be right suncoast; looking at it, they were 6-11 vs tourney teams and 3-9 vs ranked teams with the three wins being Notre Dame, Syracuse, and UConn. They are obviously getting alot of credit just for being in the BE. A pretty rough schedule none the less.

Marquette's SOS (according to Sagarin) the past 7 years

Why fire a decent coach to hire someone that could be just decent himself.

He's been gone just two days, and Capel's already progressed from being the worst coach in the history of Div. 1 to a "decent coach." :ez-laugh:

And Crean's winning % in the Big East actually went down from his last year.

They added two games to the schedule in 08-09. Marquette won more games that season than any previous in Big East play. Crean never finished lower than tied for 5th in the Big East, BUzz Williams has never finished higher than tied for fifth in the Big East. BUzz Williams coached Marquette to its worst performance in the conference since Marquette joined the the Big East this season.

He's been gone just two days, and Capel's already progressed from being the worst coach in the history of Div. 1 to a "decent coach." :ez-laugh:

lol, I hate Capel as a coach but he has/had just as much chance to succeed here next year than Buzz does. Why are we reduced to hiring a coach that's an uncertainty? We just fired one.

They added two games to the schedule in 08-09. Marquette won more games that season than any previous in Big East play. Crean never finished lower than tied for 5th in the Big East, BUzz Williams has never finished higher than tied for fifth in the Big East. BUzz Williams coached Marquette to its worst performance in the conference since Marquette joined the the Big East this season.

Again, his winning percentage was lower. That is a fact.

And again, the conference is the best it has been in 10 years this year.

And Crean also coached against a weaker schedule. See the SOSs.

Have you watched much BE ball this year? This is not the best the league has been in 10 years talent-wise. If the numbers show it, then the rest of the country is down as well.

Have you watched much BE ball this year? This is not the best the league has been in 10 years talent-wise. If the numbers show it, then the rest of the country is down as well.

The rest of the nation is down IMO. I think the Big East is the most talented conference from top to bottom...but I don't see a great team in the conference. To be honest, I don't see a great team period. tO$U is probably the most well rounded, followed by KU (who doesn't defend as well as previous teams)

I am so sick of hearing this every year about the Big East. It's like a broken record. Every single year the Big EastPN has gotten better, and better, and better, and better supposedly but every year the Big 12 performs as well or better than the Big EastPN where it counts and its really measurable, in the NCAA tournament.

The myth of Big EastPN basketball dominance is approaching the size of SECPN in football. If ESPiN keeps shoving it down everyone's throats people will just keep regurgitating it.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the BIg 12 is 17-14 against the Big EastPN in the NCAA tournament since 2000 as well.

I am so sick of hearing this every year about the Big East. It's like a broken record. Every single year the Big EastPN has gotten better, and better, and better, and better supposedly but every year the Big 12 performs as well or better than the Big EastPN where it counts and its really measurable, in the NCAA tournament.

The myth of Big EastPN basketball dominance is approaching the size of SECPN in football. If ESPiN keeps shoving it down everyone's throats people will just keep regurgitating it.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the BIg 12 is 17-14 against the Big EastPN in the NCAA tournament since 2000 as well.

Sweet. I'm actually using Sagarin's ratings (his stat that combines efficiency and RPI)

Sweet. I'm actually using Sagarin's ratings (his stat that combines efficiency and RPI)

I'm not Big on Computer polls for that very reason. I was more venting about ESPiN because they shove this crap down the nation's throat about the the Big EastPN and to a lesser extent the ACC. The Big 12 has done as much or more with fewer bids and has the best winning percentage in the NCAA tournament since 2000. We get fed it so much many of our own fans in this conference have begun to undervalue the level of play in the conference in recent years. The Big 12 is first or second in every meaningful performance gauge in the NCAA tournament: Best winning percentage, 2nd in total wins (with fewer bids than the leader The Big East), tied for most Final Four appearances (with Big East), most regional finals appearances, and tied for most sweet 16 appearances (with the Big East) since the turn of the century.

I'm not Big on Computer polls for that very reason. I was more venting about ESPiN because they shove this crap down the nation's throat about the the Big EastPN and to a lesser extent the ACC. The Big 12 has done as much or more with fewer bids and has the best winning percentage in the NCAA tournament since 2000. We get fed it so much many of our own fans in this conference have begun to undervalue the level of play in the conference in recent years. The Big 12 is first or second in every meaningful performance gauge in the NCAA tournament: Best winning percentage, 2nd in total wins (with fewer bids than the leader The Big East), tied for most Final Four appearances (with Big East), most regional finals appearances, and tied for most sweet 16 appearances (with the Big East) since the turn of the century.

I agree about ESPN...there is no doubt they love them some Big East basketball (and ACC) and overhype them.

It should be noted, that 5 years ago, Sagarin's rankings had the Big East as the 5th best conference in the land. So, his numbers aren't biased towards the Big East or any conference for that matter.

Back