Center of attention >>> vcuathletics.com

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Source Link

CENTER OF ATTENTION
By Chris Kowalczyk
11-16-09

Note: This feature is also available in the men's basketball gameday program, Rams The Magazine

It’s hard to imagine a sinewy, 6-foot-3 guard casting an eclipse-like shadow on a 6-foot-11 guy with the wingspan of a C-130, but that’s the kind of presence Eric Maynor had at VCU.

He was a phenomenon. In many ways, he was VCU’s first rock star. Maynor was literally THE story everywhere the Rams went the last two seasons. All the interviews, the autographs, the adulation, the vitriol of opposing student sections, it was all directed at Maynor. That will change this season.

Mr. Sanders, are you ready for your close up?

Whether he likes it or not, VCU junior Larry Sanders is now the Rams’ big man on campus (quite literally). It’s not completely unexpected. Somebody had to step under the bright lights, but the quantity and quality of attention thrown Sanders’ way recently has been surprising.

Maynor had “The Dagger”, his Duke-killing shot in the 2007 NCAA Tournament that thrust him into the nation’s consciousness. For Sanders, his introduction came in two parts. First, he absolutely demolished George Mason in the 2009 Colonial Athletic Association Championship game in front of a national-television audience. As in, 18 points, 20 rebounds, seven blocks, demolished.

This summer, Sanders earned invites to both the LeBron James and Amar’e Stoudemire skills camps. The LeBron camp was a beehive of scouts and prognosticators. Among a gaggle of college stars and McDonald’s All-Americans, there was Sanders, a largely unknown two-star recruit from a mid-major program. None of it mattered. Scouts and analysts alike were impressed by his non-stop motor, inhuman length and his athleticism. It wasn’t an accident, Sanders says.

“My mindset going into that was, I’m going to outwork everybody, because these people don’t know who I am, and I have to make myself known. It worked. By the last day, so many players wanted to go home. They wanted to leave, and I was like, I could stay here all summer.”

What had been a dull hum of media attention prior to the LeBron James camp became a full roar in the days afterwards.

Steve Megargee of Rivals.com called Sanders a legitimate All-American candidate. ESPN.com’s Jay Bilas wrote that Sanders was the third most impressive player at the LeBron camp, and later named the Ram one of the nation’s top 10 rebounders. Sanders, who was already getting first round whispers, should he decide to declare for the NBA Draft, became a lottery candidate. NBADraft.net has the 6-11 forward slotted 12th in its 2010 mock draft. DraftExpress.com listed Sanders 15th. Sanders was named to the Wooden Award’s Preseason Top 50 list. Nearly every interview request that comes through the VCU Athletic Communications Office is for Sanders.
While these developments promise nothing, it’s obvious that Sanders is creeping onto the national radar screen, and it’s likely there will soon be a full-on media blitz. There’s a responsibility that comes with the spotlight, one which Sanders is now beginning to encounter.

Maynor wasn’t the greatest orator. JFK in high tops he wasn’t. However, what he lacked in polish, he made up for in cool, business-like efficiency. He wasn’t a quote machine, but he exuded a confidence that made him seem a natural fit for the job.

Sanders is still working on that area. When he arrived at VCU, his first press conference interviews were barely audible. He always seemed happy to be the Robin to Maynor’s Batman, a dynamite sidekick removed from the bright lights. It’s a trait that has roots in Sanders’ childhood.

“I don’t like to draw more attention to myself than I have to,” Sanders said. “Being 6-11 now, I walk and people stare and look. I just don’t like being the center of attention all the time, but I do like attention.”

In order to deal with the added pressure and media focus, Sanders regularly communicates with Shaka Smart. However, the 20-year-old Sanders remains close with Maynor, and the VCU great’s influence on him is strong. Oftentimes, when Maynor conducted interviews, Sanders was nearby.

“Eric taught me that you have to humble yourself with every experience,” Sanders said. “He told me that you can’t let those things get to your brain, because those things are basically for the public. They’re not for you. You have to stay focused and have tunnel vision.”

From Smart’s perspective, Sanders has taken Maynor’s advice to heart.

“I think he’s handled it well,” Smart said. “The thing we talk about all the time is, let’s focus on what’s next, and what’s directly in front of him. It can be challenging when you’re in that type of situation to stay in the now. A lot of times, people try to push your attention towards the future.”

If Sanders, the 2009 CAA Defensive Player of the Year, has his way, he’ll be garnering much more attention down the road. He’s said on a couple of occasions that he wants to lead the nation in rebounding this season, that he wants VCU to repeat as CAA Champions and that he wants the Rams to win at least one NCAA Tournament game.

“Just because you go to Maryland or somewhere else, you can play basketball. You’re a Division I basketball player. I think I realized [this summer], that there’s a lot of hype out there, but…whoever works the hardest, whoever plays the hardest, that’s who’s going to win, regardless.”

He sounds like a great kid and is definitely a great player. I hope we can find someway to slow him down.

Back