Chad Ford's 2010 NBA Draft rankings (Willie and Tiny)

Smash Williams

Reaction score
He has Willie Warren at #6 on his big board and Tiny Gallon at #55.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/rank?draftyear=2010

Here's what their profiles say:

Willie Warren
Point Guard (Rank: #6) | 6-4, 210 | Age: 19
Oklahoma (Freshman)
Hometown: Fort Worth, TX

Draft Projection: Top 10

Notes: Warren told local reporters on April 16 that he was returning to the Sooners for his sophomore season.

Positives:

Great size for position
Long arms and impressive frame
Excellent athlete
Explosive leaper
Great quickness and speed
Excellent shooter with 3-point range
Excellent leadership skills on the court

Negatives:

Some scouts think he's a tweener ... an undersized 2-guard
Doesn't give a lot of effort on the defensive end of the ball

Summary: Apr 16 Update: Warren continues a string of talented freshmen who are just saying no to the 2009 NBA Draft. Warren told local reporters on April 16 that he was returning to college for his sophomore season. It's an interesting decision for Warren. NBA executives were adamanet that he was a lock for the Top 10 this year. However, Warren wants to return to school to work on his game outside the large shadow created by Blake Griffin. It could be a risky move, especially with blue-chip prospect Tommy Mason-Griffin coming to school. Mason-Griffin is a point guard too, which means Warren may be asked to play off the ball again next year.

Mar 30 Update: Warren had a terrific freshman season, but his play against Syracuse and North Carolina highlighted some of his weaknesses. In both games, Warren's perimeter shot wasn't falling and he resorted to taking some wild shots. His numbers versus North Carolina don't look that bad, but most of his points came when the game was already out of reach for the Sooners. Warren said this weekend that he was 99 percent sure he was returning for his sophomore year, wanting to see how strong his game is without Blake Griffin on the floor. He shined in the few games in which Griffin didn't play this season, so maybe he knows what he's talking about. Still, it's a risk for Warren. He's widely considered a Top 10 pick now based on upside. If he skips the draft this year, he's going to have to prove he's worthy of a Top 10 pick next year.

Mar 18 Update: NBA executives are impressed with Warren's ability to do a bit of everything on the floor. A big tournament will go a long way in determining where he lands, but he looks like a lock for the lottery. And if he can prove to scouts that he can play point guard at least part time in the pros, he could go as high as top 5.

Feb 27 Update: Probably the hottest name in the draft right now, Warren has not only been the top freshman in the country lately, he's been the best player on his team. With Blake Griffin out the past few games with a concussion, Warren has stepped in and dominated. He had 27 points and 6 assists versus Texas and 23 points and 4 assists versus Kansas. Both were losses for Oklahoma, but it was Warren who kept his team in the game.

A number of NBA executives I spoke with compare him to Ben Gordon. However, I think he is a better passer than Gordon and has a legit shot at being a point guard in the league ... kind of like Gilbert Arenas. Warren has been ranked in our top 25 all season, but over the past few weeks he's moved all the way up to No. 9 on our big board.

Jan 15 Update: Warren has quietly become one of the top freshmen in the country. Scouts have been impressed with his combination of size, athleticism and ability to score. While there is a legitimate question about what Warren's true position is, the truth is he has the size to play multiple positions in the NBA. If Oklahoma goes deep in the tournament, Warren might end up cracking the lottery.

Jan. 2 Update: Warren ranked in the Top 25 in June, but lately he's shown he may belong in the lottery alongside more touted freshmen. No freshman in the country has been more productive. Warren dropped 31 points on Rice and 35 points on Arkansas in December while shooting a red-hot 11-for-21 from the 3-point line in those two games combined. While some scouts remain concerned that Warren is more of a 2-guard than a point guard, his strong play may make his position irrelevant.

Keith Gallon
Power Forward (Rank: #55) | 6-9, 300 | Age: 18
Oklahoma ()
Hometown: Houston, TX

Draft Projection: Second round to undrafted

Notes: Nickname is "Tiny." Played for Oak Hill Academy. Averaged 16.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg and 1.5 bpg as a senior.

Positives:

Strong, physical big man
Very skilled for his size
Excellent shooter with 3-point range
Decent footwork in the post
Skilled passer

Negatives:

Has struggled with weight issues
Not an explosive athlete
Prefers the perimeter to the low post

Summary: June 26 Update: If Tiny Gallon can keep the weight down, the energy up and play like a big man at Oklahoma, he's going to draw a lot of attention. Few big guys have the skills this guy has.

Cheno said this is a weak class, I don't care what Ford says.

Cheno said this is a weak class, I don't care what Ford says.

Cheno said Beasley was the next Big Dog Robinson and was mocked for that.
Cheno was right then too.
Obsession noted.

Cheno's self love is noted as well.

Gottlieb was talking today how DWade and other Heat players want Beasley traded because he's immature. Ya think?

A Kansas fan doesn't think a Kansas State player is that good, go figure.

In other news, Perez Hilton is a jackass that everyone hates. More after this commercial break.

A Kansas fan doesn't think a Kansas State player is that good, go figure.
In other news, Perez Hilton is a jackass that everyone hates. More after this commercial break.

I didn't realize DWade and the Miami Heat were Kansas fans.
I'm just reporting the news. More at 10.

The guy has been in the league for one year, and you've already determined what the next 15 will bring? If Beasley hasn't made major improvements two or three years from now, then Big Dog is probably a good comparison. What's odd in all of this is a Kansas fan making fun of Beasley or Robinson. Since Danny Manning, there have been a sleu of Kansas forwards and centers drafted in the 1st round and NOT ONE is or was as good as Beasley or Robinson.

As for the 2010 draft, I'm taking the same approach as the 2009 draft. We'll see what happens after they lace them up. I doubt the 2010 or any future draft will ever be as horrific as either the 2000 or 2006 drafts, that's for sure. Those two have set the standard for futility. They have COMBINED to produce two very good players (Michael Redd and Brandon Roy), and one was a 2nd round pick.

Your posting the news and throwing your opinion in there. I didnt hear Dwayne Wade or the heat say that Beasley isnt good. A 20 year old who is immature that is shocking. My point is you cant pin Beasley for being a success or not after one year.

Your posting the news and throwing your opinion in there. I didnt hear Dwayne Wade or the heat say that Beasley isnt good. A 20 year old who is immature that is shocking. My point is you cant pin Beasley for being a success or not after one year.

Nice post. I like Beasley a lot and think he will be fine. Just give him a year or two to get comfortable and to find his niche in the league. I hope people aren't jumping all over Blake after his first year.

Obsession noted.

i don't know that beasley will ever be as good as the big dog

Obsession noted.

Cheno- I am with you. Something is not right with that cat mentally. Of course, the same could be said of Dennis Rodman and he had a few good years. Beasley has the talent but I will be shocked if he develops into an all- star

If Miami gives Beasley a set position (it will probably need to be SF long term), he can develop into a solid contributer. He has the skills to be an All Star, but not yet the maturity. There is no reason he can't develop that maturity with a few more years experience.

What's odd in all of this is a Kansas fan making fun of Beasley or Robinson. Since Danny Manning, there have been a sleu of Kansas forwards and centers drafted in the 1st round and NOT ONE is or was as good as Beasley or Robinson.

Paul Pierce isn't as good as Michael Beasley or Big Dog Robinson? :ez-roll:
And YOU are talking about Kansas fans not knowing what's up? :ez-roll:

Paul Pierce isn't as good as Michael Beasley or Big Dog Robinson? :ez-roll:
And YOU are talking about Kansas fans not knowing what's up? :ez-roll:

I view Paul Pierce as a guard. Sometimes he plays the 2 and sometimes he plays the 3. Prior to Ray Allen arriving, he almost excluively played off-guard. Regardless, the Kansas big men over the past 20 years have been NBA flops. If your pinning your hopes on Paul Pierce as your argument that Kansas big men haven't been flops, you've lost the battle.

Had I said Kansas guards have been NBA flops over the past 20 years, I guarantee you would have used the same rolling laughter emoticon while mentioning Paul Pierce. No doubt he is a great player and a future Hall of Famer, but perhaps someday you can use another KU alum to bail you out of a debate regarding recent KU NBA flops.

If Miami gives Beasley a set position (it will probably need to be SF long term), he can develop into a solid contributer. He has the skills to be an All Star, but not yet the maturity. There is no reason he can't develop that maturity with a few more years experience.
I think Beasley can play PF long-term. He was widely considered a PF until he only measured out at 6'7" in bare feet; however, he still has the length to play PF. Beasley has a bigger winspan and higher standing reach than Blake Griffin, in addition to comparable weight and very good strength, yet no one is calling Blake undersized.

I view Paul Pierce as a guard. Sometimes he plays the 2 and sometimes he plays the 3. Prior to Ray Allen arriving, he almost excluively played off-guard. Regardless, the Kansas big men over the past 20 years have been NBA flops. If your pinning your hopes on Paul Pierce as your argument that Kansas big men haven't been flops, you've lost the battle.

Had I said Kansas guards have been NBA flops over the past 20 years, I guarantee you would have used the same rolling laughter emoticon while mentioning Paul Pierce. No doubt he is a great player and a future Hall of Famer, but perhaps someday you can use another KU alum to bail you out of a debate regarding recent KU NBA flops.

Of course you consider Pierce a guard despite him being the classic NBA small forward. I would agree KU's bigs have way underachieved in the pro's. No argument from me. But really that has no bearing on Michael Beasley so I really don't even see why you felt the need to bring up.
Overall KU's players for the most part haven't done great in the NBA. This makes it even more amazing to me the unbelieveable success the program has had in over the last 25 years. Arguably the best college program. Goes to show KU has had probably the best coaches in all of college hoops to garner such success. You give me Larry Brown, Roy Williams and Bill Self and a bunch of stiffs and I'm going to win games. That is why I place such a premium when talking college hoops on the coach and his ability to recruit year after year. I think OU is headed in that direction under Coach Capel.

Back