Coaches rank the Big 12 jobs from best to worst

Some of our own "fans" would probably have OU 8th or 9th! :) Kidding aside, I'm surprised ISU isn't higher. Great fan base and a pretty good history. Although I'm not necessarily sure who I would move them ahead of.

Id put OU #3 and WV#4. The rest seems about right.

Kentucky and West Virginia have much more rabid basketball fans than Oklahoma. The difference is rather extreme. Coaches know this.

“Recent popularity of the Thunder has hurt OU”.

Agreed.

I don’t really understand the “buy games” standard. At least for the bigger conferences. We aren’t playing anyone to get paid and probably lose. Neither is anyone else in the conference.

Some of our own "fans" would probably have OU 8th or 9th! :) Kidding aside, I'm surprised ISU isn't higher. Great fan base and a pretty good history. Although I'm not necessarily sure who I would move them ahead of.

Agreed. I'd definitely put them above OSU for sure and maybe as high as 3rd.

Texas is only at 2 because of pay. As far as support and overall success they aren't that good.

Iowa st. Is way too low. WV looks to be too high. Our facilities have really helped us out and OU has been a VERY solid program over the past 35 years...getting to 3 final fours and the success of the football program only helps us in recruiting!!

I just wish we had the fan support like an Iowa st.

“Recent popularity of the Thunder has hurt OU”.

Agreed.
Not being as good on the court since the end of the Sampson era for the most part has hurt more. But maybe putting 2 guys in the NBA in the last few years and having one that's an all star that played here 10 years ago will help some.

KU is clear #1, and UT is clearly #2. After that...you can pretty much lump 3-10 together.

I think WV is clearly in the top 3 and if the facilities are good I'd put it above UT. There's a lot to be said for having rabid basketball fans and WV/Ky fans are that. MUCH more so than Texans or Okies.

Not being as good on the court since the end of the Sampson era for the most part has hurt more.

Huh!? Since then end of the Sampson era, we’ve been to the Final Four, Elite Eight, Sweet 16 and round of 32, plus a few one-and-dones’. The OU job hasn’t been diminished one iota.

Huh!? Since then end of the Sampson era, we’ve been to the Final Four, Elite Eight, Sweet 16 and round of 32, plus a few one-and-dones’. The OU job hasn’t been diminished one iota.
It's comparing the previous eras. Really outside of those one or two years it's been a rough period compared to winning around 70% of the games for over 25 years. The average win % from both those 2 coaches was 70%. We've only seen two seasons of at least that win % since Sampson's 2nd to last year.

I agree the OU job is not at all diminished, but to be fair, both Capel and Kruger posted seasons with a very high loss count. Its been more of a roller coaster ride in recent years, with high highs and some very low lows.

Not being as good on the court since the end of the Sampson era for the most part has hurt more. But maybe putting 2 guys in the NBA in the last few years and having one that's an all star that played here 10 years ago will help some.

I know a couple families that used to be season ticket holders that are now Thunder ticket holders and their OU attendance has waned

Back