Coaches rank the Big 12 jobs from best to worst

I think WV is clearly in the top 3 and if the facilities are good I'd put it above UT. There's a lot to be said for having rabid basketball fans and WV/Ky fans are that. MUCH more so than Texans or Okies.

Disagree

I think Huggins is a perfect fit there but not a lot of coaches would want to fly half across the country for all road games

It's comparing the previous eras. Really outside of those one or two years it's been a rough period compared to winning around 70% of the games for over 25 years. The average win % from both those 2 coaches was 70%. We've only seen two seasons of at least that win % since Sampson's 2nd to last year.

Yes, the lows of the post-Sampson era have been a lot lower than what they were during the Tubbs / Sampson eras. No one can argue that. However, those eras also produced 8 consecutive years of not winning an NCAA Tournament basketball game. The most consecutive years of that since then was 5 years. The point is, the OU job simply has not been diminished due to those losing seasons this past decade. The biggest concern is what someone else pointed out - that the Thunder are stealing some of the fans.

I think ISU is one of the best jobs because of the fan base coupled with the fact they don't have to take a back seat to football. The only reason Texas would be slightly ahead of OU in basketball is money...no other reason. I would pick OU over WVU. Someone else correctly pointed out that not every coach would want to do all that long-distance traveling.

Just as an aside, based on fan support, Creighton is a very good basketball job.

Quotes from Creighton press guide:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.si.../documents/2018/10/9/1819mbbmgall_smaller.pdf

Full House - Creighton averaged 17,000 fans per home game last season, good for fifth-best nationally. It was the 13th straight season that CU has been among the nation’s top 25 in average home attendance, and the seventh straight season in the top-10 nationally in attendance.

20 Wins...AGAIN - Creighton has won 20 or more games in 18 of the last 20 seasons, a feat that puts the Jays among an exclusive group nationally.

By my way of thinking, FAN SUPPORT is the weakest metric OU has in ranking the job of head coach of the OU basketball team. It is really amazing how much success OU has in recruiting and winning games when compared with the level of fan support.

I agree the OU job is not at all diminished, but to be fair, both Capel and Kruger posted seasons with a very high loss count. Its been more of a roller coaster ride in recent years, with high highs and some very low lows.

I might be wrong but didn’t Sampson schedule pretty weak when he didn’t have a really strong team?

I might be wrong but didn’t Sampson schedule pretty weak when he didn’t have a really strong team?

Sampson never had a single losing season in conference, and he finished below 3rd just twice.

Sampson never had a single losing season in conference, and he finished below 3rd just twice.

oh, but that didnt make anyone happy then. you dont know how I talked those results up only to constantly be told that OU should be doing better.

Billy Tubbs made OU a great job. Kelvin Sampson has said more than once that he wouldn’t have taken the job had Billy not accomplished what he did. All Kelvin did was take OU to the Big Dance in 11 of his 12 years. He kept it a great job. After a horrible three year run at the start of the decade, OU has been to the Big Dance in 5 of the past 6 years and we’ll in their way to make it 6 out of 7 - with yet another great coach. So let me ask...what exactly are we arguing about?

Billy Tubbs made OU a great job. Kelvin Sampson has said more than once that he wouldn’t have taken the job had Billy not accomplished what he did. All Kelvin did was take OU to the Big Dance in 11 of his 12 years. He kept it a great job. After a horrible three year run at the start of the decade, OU has been to the Big Dance in 5 of the past 6 years and we’ll in their way to make it 6 out of 7 - with yet another great coach. So let me ask...what exactly are we arguing about?

He implied that Sampson's consistent success was due to manipulating the OOC schedule. I was simply stating why his implications were "not even close to true."

He implied that Sampson's consistent success was due to manipulating the OOC schedule. I was simply stating why his implications were "not even close to true."

No I didn’t, I was asking if I was remembering right if he did that in OOC. I don’t think I’ve ever said a negative comment about Sampson’s coaching.

No I didn’t, I was asking if I was remembering right if he did that in OOC. I don’t think I’ve ever said a negative comment about Sampson’s coaching.

Given the statistics presented, I would be back tracking as well.

Given the statistics presented, I would be back tracking as well.

Ok then let’s see the statistics, the most P6 (I included the BigEast) Sampson scheduled was 5 (twice). Kruger has done it 3 times & scheduled 7 this year. So I was right even though I was just asking a question. Also Sampson didn’t schedule as strong of mid majors.

Back