Coaches that you like and dislike in the Big 12

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Besides Coach Capel, how do you feel about the other coaches in the league:

Mine:

Like:

Doc Saddler (what a great dude)
Pat Knight (won me over with the Terminator comment)
Rick Barnes (hard to dislike him really)
Mike Anderson (i think he does it the right way with recruiting and stuff)

Dislike:

Scott Drew (i have stated my case many a time)
Travis Ford (the potty mouth and little man syndrome bothers me)
Billiam Self (he is about as genuine as his hair)
Mark Turgeon (88)

I don't really care about the rest....

16aa0co.jpg

capel: this is an ou bball, need to suck up a bit. also, his tweets! omg!!!
drew: pisses off people. gotta love it.
frank martin: he coaches my fav. team....KSU!
mike anderson: best x's and o's coach in conf

dislike

self: ugly, smells, poor basketball coach
barnes: pansy.
travis ford: got too much credit for last year
bzdeilk: very arrogant

Like:
Jeff Capel (OU)
Pat Knight (Tech)
Doc Sadler (NU)
Mike Anderson (MU)
Bill Self (KU)
Jeff Bzdelik (CU)
Rick Barnes (UT)

Dislike:
Mark Turgeon (A&M)
Travis Ford (OSU)

No Opinion:
Greg Mcdermott
Scott Drew
Frank Martin

Coaches I love...
Jeff Capel.

Coaches I can tolerate.....
Pat Knight - only because he made all the positive comments about Blake last year
Doc Sadler
Mark Turgeon
Bzdelik
Anderson
Barnes
Drew

Coaches I can't stand....
1. Travis Ford - little man syndrome and a foul mouth
2. Bill Self - I have always respected KU and loved Roy Williams, but Self rubs me wrong
3. Frank Martin - that guy is a total psycho

Bill Self - Gotta love a guy who is local (TU and ORU), can be considered a bounty hunter (always on the look out for the biggest job with the most money) and has the courage to wear a toupee.

Scott Drew - How can you dislike a guy who was dealt a horrible hand and made a horrible program respectable doing it the right way. Also he is a very text book coach who teaches how to properly box out during free throws

Travis Forde - Isn't afraid to speak his mind about his players (gotta love a truthful person!). Runs a fun system and should bring a good flavor to the OU-OSU rivalry.

Mark Turgeon - Former Jayhawk so you know he is a good guy, plus players look up to him as a father figure cuz he is so intense!

Jeff Bizdiek - Great name, great pedigree, I expect him and his unique brand of recruiting (i wish OU would follow) to bring success to the Buffs.

Greg McDermott - Local kid, who must be living the dream at Iowa St. Also he knows how to set players up to star with Brackins, very underrated coaching mind.

Dislike
Mike Anderson - I am still bitter about him screwing up my bracket when he beat Kentucky.

Frank Martin - No talent, relies on one AAU team for players, etc.

Pat Knight - Apple and the tree, some such

Rick Barnes - Gator chomp and with all the talk of Scott Drew cheating why not Barnes? He is the one pulling in all these nation wide recruits and such.

Doc Sadler - Is he even a real Doctor? Sounds like George O'Leary lying about being a doctor to advance his career.

Last edited:
Like:
Capel
Self
Sadler
Barnes
Turgeon
Ford

Dislike
Knight
Martin
Drew
Mike Anderson

I like most all the coaches in the league, My only main problem last year with a coach was Ford, for allowing Moses, Brown, and Kirkland in 3 games to act like complete thugs against OU (mainly Blake)......So i disliked Ford last year, but he seems to be a good coach and will have a clean slate to start the season this year with me.....

martin - great person; ksu coach.
sadler - like his accent; squats
turgeon - like his segments on the big 12 weekly interview thing, seems introspective
knight - martin likes him, so i feel i should

mild dislike
ford - no real reason
bzdelik - staff in golf shirts; condescending attitude in interview segs
anderson - "ok", "uh-huh", "allright"

dislike
mcdermott - saw a vid seg of him in practice, seemed like a dick; isu coach

hatred
drew - if all the other big 12 coaches hate him, why shouldn't fans?

neutral on the rest.

All of them except for Coach Capel. Now coaches I respect is a different subject.

I like most all the coaches in the league, My only main problem last year with a coach was Ford, for allowing Moses, Brown, and Kirkland in 3 games to act like complete thugs against OU (mainly Blake)......So i disliked Ford last year, but he seems to be a good coach and will have a clean slate to start the season this year with me.....

I'll give you Kirkland in the first game and probably Moses for the Tourney game. I don't remember Brown doing much though. I don't know that I would classify it as complete thuggery. Partial thuggery at best.

Love: Ford

Like: Self, Anderson, Sadler

Like but don't want to: Capel

Dislike: Knight, Drew

Scared of: Martin, for fear of getting whacked.

Like:

Drew- optimism; will go after any recruit; transparency with players, fans, media

Anderson- man's man in my book

Turgeon- seems like a stand-up guy

Martin- facial expressions are priceless

Capel- respect and like him

Knight- enjoy his interviews

Dislike-

Self- missed his calling- should have been a politician

Barnes- loses to Drew for the first time in his career and immediately whines about the loss to reporters the next day.

Drew is not hated by big 12 coaches. He has had rifts with two- Self & Barnes. He called both immediately to clear things up. With Barnes I am guessing the tension remains.

Like:

Barnes-of course I do
Capel-respect the way he coaches and runs his program, wasn't happy the moment ou got him

Dislike:

Drew-lil punk

Just curious, of those who said they dislike Bill saying he is fake, not genuine, how many of you have actually met him more than once?

Just curious.

My most disliked coach in the big 12 is KU asst coach Danny Manning.

Like:

Drew- optimism; will go after any recruit; transparency with players, fans, media

Dislike-

Self- missed his calling- should have been a politician

Wow. I think you mixed Drew and Self up.

Back