Placing Big 12 coaches into categories

No way Barnes is top tier.
Give him Nebraska's or even Kstate's talent and he would NEVER make the tournament.

UMASS wasn't bubbling with success when Ford got there. The only coach that did more with UMASS than Ford was Calipari.

With the talent level that Drew has "recruited" there isn't any reason for him to go a year without even the NIT.

Jack Leaman had more success than Ford at UMass

No way Barnes is top tier.
Give him Nebraska's or even Kstate's talent and he would NEVER make the tournament.

Well, recruiting is part of the equation so you cannot take that out.

Well, recruiting is part of the equation so you cannot take that out.

I didn't "take it out".
But the lone ability to recruit top talent to Texas does not make him a tier 1 coach.
An "A" in recruiting and a "D" in actual x's and o's/gameday coaching still makes him an average coach.

I didn't "take it out".
But the lone ability to recruit top talent to Texas does not make him a tier 1 coach.
An "A" in recruiting and a "D" in actual x's and o's/gameday coaching still makes him an average coach.

IMO, it is an A+ in recruiting with a C to D in coaching, and since the Jimmys and Joes are easily the most important part of basketball, that gets him to the bottom of Tier 1 especially when just looking at the conference coaches. And that is why he had 16 straight seasons in which his team made the NCAA tourney with 6 seasons at least making the Sweet 16.

If you have a final 4 on your resume your a top tier coach in the Big XII. An elite 8 or sweet 16 gets you 2nd tier.

Then you have Ford, Haith and Hoiberg who clearly are at the bottom.

Last edited:
If you have a final 4 on your resume your a top tier coach in the Big XII. An elite 8 or sweet 16 gets you 2nd tier.

Then you have Ford, Haith and Hoiberg who clearly are at the bottom.

Maybe if no other coach in the conference had a National Championship, and routinely dominates the conference.

I'd be fine with the tiers you have, but Self is above every other coach in the league, nobody is at his level.

Kruger has not coached in the Big XII before so what Self has done in the conference is not comparable.

For all that Self has done ... 1 final 4 ... correct?

Kruger has not coached in the Big XII before so what Self has done in the conference is not comparable.

For all that Self has done ... 1 final 4 ... correct?

Yes, I think so. 4 or 5 Elite Eights at 3 different schools, though. Which is above everyone else as well.

There's no question Self is top shelf in the Big XII. There is a question however that had Kruger turned down the Hawks job in 2000 whether he would have had similar or greater success at Illinois from 2000-2003 and been named the Kansas coach instead of Self.

the moral of the story ... stay away from sorry NBA franchises!!!

Back