Coale: Energy level high to turn Sooners around

bluesooner17

Reaction score
By Ryan Aber
Staff writer raber@oklahoman.com

NORMAN — Sherri Coale sat in her office this week and looked into the practice gym just outside her window.
The Oklahoma women’s basketball coach looked at the three Final Four banners hanging on the wall and pointed their way.
“My energy level to get this thing right, where it’s supposed to be — and I don’t mean competing in the top half of the league. I mean those three banners that are hanging in the gym right there, to get some more of those — it’s off the charts.
“We’ve got to get this thing right.”
Coale’s Sooners went 8-22 this season, which was the most losses for the program since 1996-97, Coale’s first season.
The Sooners had just two upperclassmen on their roster — thanks to both members of its 2016 signing class transferring within days of each other
The Sooners had just two upperclassmen on their roster — thanks to both members of its 2016 signing class transferring within days of each other after their freshman season. Then one of the two members of the previous signing class, Morgan Rich, was forced to give up the game due to injuries.
Coale decided against bringing in any transfers that would have injected experience to a roster that was stacked with freshmen and sophomores.
“The reason that the road was rough is my fault,” Coale said. “They should’ve had experienced people on the floor with them so that they weren’t so exposed. Everything they did was so exposed because there was no experience returning, no cover under which they could hide.
“Tough in the immediacy, a great blessing down the road.”
Coale has previously said she was cautious about adding transfers because of the quick nature of the process that left little time to truly determine if a player was a good fit.
But Coale now says she will explore adding experience to what once again will be a young roster next season.
“I made choices not to go out and get a quick, late fix,” Coale said. “It’s all about seeking the necessary and needed parts.”
The balance, Coale said, was not to bring in a junior college player or a transfer who would limit her ability to add to the roster beyond 2020. As currently constructed, the Sooners won’t lose any seniors from next year’s team.
That would point to Coale targeting graduate transfers to help solve what was the biggest problem on this year’s roster — size inside.
“We need some length to add to this team that we have, but we’re not going to sacrifice the long haul for the immediate,” Coale said. “There’s a balance there and that’s the riddle we have to solve.”
Coale also has two openings to fill on her staff after longtime assistants Pam DeCosta and Chad Thrailkill left the program after the season.
Coale is hoping to solidify those hires in the next two weeks as the NCAA Tournament wraps up.
One potential candidate is Mississippi State assistant Dionnah Jackson-Durrett, who starred for Coale in Norman.
But Coale also said it was important to find outside voices.
“The opportunity to get a staff in the room and have all those varied perspectives and grapple with that and wring it until you get down to something you’re all convicted on and walking out of the door together, that sounds incredible to me,” Coale said. “I’m so excited about the potential of doing that. I think there’s a balance there with it.”
“The opportunity to get a staff in the room and have all those varied perspectives and grapple with that and wring it until you get down to something you’re all convicted on and walking out of the door together, that sounds incredible to me. I’m so excited about the potential of doing that. I think there’s a balance there with it.”
Sherri Coale, Oklahoma coach

I will be tickled if Sherri does what she says and grapples with the assistants seeking ideas that address the problems within the program. What I fear is she will hire assistants that will evolve into "yes men/women" like Jan, Pam and Chad allowing Sherri to continue to micro-manage as she has in the past.

IMHO it is easier to convert a very talented WBB player to culturally fit your program and team than it is to take a lessor talented WBB player to a high level winner on the court. I know their are risk associated with signing highly talented players that are not ideal cultural fits but not as much of a risk as signing Penzo, Odemgbe, Simpson when your goal is to to develop championship basketball teams.

Top level talent can be developed to win basketball games and championships at a very high level while our present talent level will be mediocre at best despite being cultural fits. Which leads me to the question is the present desired cultural fit the right foundation for developing championship contending basketball teams or should it be tweaked to attract and keep the top level talent on the roster?

Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Program needs fresh blood at the top.
Either elevate it or settle for so-so seasons year after year.

I see one problem with what was said in that article..."Sherri Coale sat in her office"

I see one problem with what was said in that article..."Sherri Coale sat in her office"

I agree. She needs to get off her duff and recruit. Durrett would be an idiot to join the dumpster fire.

She is saying all the right things to the media. But, hiring and keeping Colton as an assistant while letting Pam and Chad go says a whole lot more.

Profound statement by SoonerSpock

"I know there are risk associated with signing Dungee, Mulkey and Pellington, but not as much so as signing Penzo, Odemgbe, Simpson."

Would rather have her being interviewed at a high profile tournament but the office is not so bad for that purpose. However, that may indicate that it is all talk rather than action.

I am puzzled at her statement of not sacrificing the long haul for the immediate. The long haul is pretty well set with Ana and the freshman class. And maybe the incoming trio.

As I recall, she has up to 15 scholarships available. What is wrong using a couple of them to keep next season from being a disaster.

I'm don't understand her hanging on to a program using a bunch of guards and undersized internal players. Check out the sweet sixteen teams. Brown and Cox; Megan Gustafson of Iowa: Cunane of NC State; Alana Smith of Stanford; Ruthie Hebard of Oregon; Turner and Shepard of Notre Dame; McCowan of Mississippi State, etc.

Agreed.

I feel like she said this very same thing last year. She said that they were going to look for some height and maybe a player that was a hustle player and a playmaker. She didn't bring a single additional player in... I think at this point she's got to act rather than just talk, she will lose her job after next season if she doesn't, guarantee it. I'm one of the OU fans that wants us to be better than mediocre, and I'm not content with a 21 one season the next five seasons.. I hope I am not in the minority here. In order to make those 25 + 1 seasons happen she's got to change her mindset and take a 'risk' and grab a couple of those grad school or junior college girls that can help immediately. I'd rather get good productive players and have a full roster than be content with an 11 player roster next season only to bring in two or three Simpsons the following year, as she has consistently done in the past. Only time will tell; Exactly two weeks according to her.

Agreed.

I feel like she said this very same thing last year. She said that they were going to look for some height and maybe a player that was a hustle player and a playmaker. She didn't bring a single additional player in... I think at this point she's got to act rather than just talk, she will lose her job after next season if she doesn't, guarantee it. I'm one of the OU fans that wants us to be better than mediocre, and I'm not content with a 21 one season the next five seasons.. I hope I am not in the minority here. In order to make those 25 + 1 seasons happen she's got to change her mindset and take a 'risk' and grab a couple of those grad school or junior college girls that can help immediately. I'd rather get good productive players and have a full roster than be content with an 11 player roster next season only to bring in two or three Simpsons the following year, as she has consistently done in the past. Only time will tell; Exactly two weeks according to her.

I think it is going to take far longer than two weeks. Hopefully we can say we saw a very productive improvement after the 2019-20 season. But I am certain in my own mind that our chance for a 25+ win season next year is slim to none.

Last edited:
Profound statement by SoonerSpock

"I know there are risk associated with signing Dungee, Mulkey and Pellington, but not as much so as signing Penzo, Odemgbe, Simpson."

Would rather have her being interviewed at a high profile tournament but the office is not so bad for that purpose. However, that may indicate that it is all talk rather than action.

I am puzzled at her statement of not sacrificing the long haul for the immediate. The long haul is pretty well set with Ana and the freshman class. And maybe the incoming trio.

As I recall, she has up to 15 scholarships available. What is wrong using a couple of them to keep next season from being a disaster.

I'm don't understand her hanging on to a program using a bunch of guards and undersized internal players. Check out the sweet sixteen teams. Brown and Cox; Megan Gustafson of Iowa: Cunane of NC State; Alana Smith of Stanford; Ruthie Hebard of Oregon; Turner and Shepard of Notre Dame; McCowan of Mississippi State, etc.

Your last statement is the key, and I do not believe SC understands that.

Women's basketball has turned into exactly what happened to Men's BB. It is a game of height and little else. Oh, a terrific 6 foot player can be of use, but without super height you are very fortunate to consistently compete. It is one of the reasons fan interest in WBB has dwindled. It use to be a game in which strategy, preparation, play design, etc. could make a big difference. That made the game fun to watch. That compensated for the difference in athletic skill in MBB compared to WBB. That is about gone. It is almost all about height, height, height today. Officiating makes that worse. They do not typically call the oversize players for using their bodies to knock smaller players around. So it just magnifies the problem.

Did you watch the Baylor - South Carolina game? Nothing mattered but height differences.

If we had two 7 footers and a 6' 11" player, we would have run away with the Big-12.

SC still does not seem to understand that Apparently she thinks that if Wilt had been 5' 6" tall he would hold all the records anyway.

As to not sacrificing the long haul for the immediate, I will repeat what I said when John Blake was the football coach. I am not going to spend my time and money watching mediocracy. Occasionally plans fail, players are injured or slump due to reasons outside the program, but when we approach having continuous mediocracy without action to improve, support for that program can do without me.

When I looked at the stands at OU wbb games this year many other fans have already decided to pursue other entertainment. I for one will join them if we do not either drastically improve results on the court, or change the ones in charge of the program

Your last statement is the key, and I do not believe SC understands that.

Women's basketball has turned into exactly what happened to Men's BB. It is a game of height and little else. Oh, a terrific 6 foot player can be of use, but without super height you are very fortunate to consistently compete. It is one of the reasons fan interest in WBB has dwindled. It use to be a game in which strategy, preparation, play design, etc. could make a big difference. That made the game fun to watch. That compensated for the difference in athletic skill in MBB compared to WBB. That is about gone. It is almost all about height, height, height today. Officiating makes that worse. They do not typically call the oversize players for using their bodies to knock smaller players around. So it just magnifies the problem.

Did you watch the Baylor - South Carolina game? Nothing mattered but height differences.

If we had two 7 footers and a 6' 11" player, we would have run away with the Big-12.

SC still does not seem to understand that Apparently she thinks that if Wilt had been 5' 6" tall he would hold all the records anyway.

The women's game has changed towards incredible athletes. It actually has always been that way for the NCAA Champions - Tennessee, UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford, and a few others. The game is full of great athletes and it is not turning back. In 2017 as her team was getting blown out by Baylor, Sherri said in her halftime interview "This did not look like a women's basketball game". That is the problem, the game has changed and she wants to hang on to the past. The irony is that Sherri helped alter the women's game with the Paris twins and their size, power, and physicality. Now she wants to go back to the 1970's and 1980's basketball and it is NOT going to happen. If she is not willing to recruit the athletes then she has no business coaching in today's women's college basketball.

By the way, it is silly that OU never uses their full allotment of 15 scholarships. They are all endowed but yet a full complement never happens.

The women's game has changed towards incredible athletes. It actually has always been that way for the NCAA Champions - Tennessee, UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford, and a few others. The game is full of great athletes and it is not turning back. In 2017 as her team was getting blown out by Baylor, Sherri said in her halftime interview "This did not look like a women's basketball game". That is the problem, the game has changed and she wants to hang on to the past. The irony is that Sherri helped alter the women's game with the Paris twins and their size, power, and physicality. Now she wants to go back to the 1970's and 1980's basketball and it is NOT going to happen. If she is not willing to recruit the athletes then she has no business coaching in today's women's college basketball.

By the way, it is silly that OU never uses their full allotment of 15 scholarships. They are all endowed but yet a full complement never happens.

+1 and the flagrant! You are so right! And I'm tired of her costly self admitted "mistakes" to go along with the many other unmentioned "mistakes".

Oregon is a great example of how important height is. They have SIX players over 6’ and headed to their first FF.

If she doesn't sign anyone else by the start of fall practice, I'm going to call BS and scream.

She needs to find two Juco kids who are in the 6-3, 6-5 range just to plug a huge whole.

We've got all the guards and forwards we need, although if you can get a 4 or 5-star forward or guard, definitely sign them..

But 99 percent of those kids are already long gone.

With Brown leaving Baylor, maybe Sherri can change the way the big 12 is played if Liz and Madi can hold down the middle, we might not need a lot of height, most of the big 12 will normal size again.

Mac, that is an entirely worthwhile thought and you may be right.

However, just because the Big 12 may be a bit shorter next season doesn't mean the rest of women's college basketball will be. We need to be able to at least compete -- period.

However, I've been searching and I don't see a lot available out there. We could be headed to another devastating year.

Madi is legit 5'10" and I've heard Liz is maybe an inch taller realistically, not what they are listed out on their rosters. That's not tall enough. Bloom is probably tall enough, maybe Lampkin to depending on how they play. I still think we need a legit 6'4, 6'5" girl...And not a damn project. One that can play, that can shoot, run, that can rebound... So tired of getting these freaking projects and wondering why we have no depth.

Back