Coale: Energy level high to turn Sooners around

Have you ever been to a practice? I went to one this year. Chad, Colton, and Pam all had sections of the practice that they ran.

I'm sure they did, however, I was referring to the roles DURING THE GAME.

What time is practice held?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure they did, however, I was referring to the roles DURING THE GAME.

Do you really think that what is said in the heat of game, is more important than what is said in practice?

A lot of people on this board are really grasping for straws when it comes to the failures of this program. It's obvious that the recruiting has been bad lately, probably why new assistants are being brought in. Geno could have coached this years team and not had much better results.

Last edited:
Well, this is Sherri’s mess. She made it. She says she’s going to clean it up.

Go for it!

We are all going to see if she still has the grit to make it happen.

There are some decent looking players in the transfer portal and there are some junior college kids still out there that don’t look too bad.

Sadly, a lot of potentially good players have already signed up.

Next year is probably not going to be much better unless, as she seems to acknowledge, she gets some height in here in the next 4 months.

It will be interesting and informative to see what transpires.

But we should all remember it has been Sherri and her son who have definitely had some trouble recruiting the upper echelons of players the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Do you really think that what is said in the heat of game, is more important than what is said in practice?

A lot of people on this board are really grasping for straws when it comes to the failures of this program. It's obvious that the recruiting has been bad lately, probably why new assistants are being brought in. Geno could have coached this years team and not had much better results.

I can't speak to "A lot of people". And you're exactly right about "Geno". Geno, Muffet, Kim and the late John Wooden combined would have only had a slightly better result because the players are who they are, with the skill set limitations and size that they have. If you have limited products, don't expect to open a Super Target Store. If you don't have the players to compete effectively based on matchups, then don't expect to win. Recruiting and a diversified coaching staff (culturally, ethnically and skill set) is where it starts and OU WBB have done a horrible job of it IMHO. Even when they were getting the top 20 players in the country, it was sheer luck; not their plans, strategy or beating the paths to gyms around the world. Then there are those other things that are critical such as building relationships early with camps. It goes to show that you can have quite a bit of success with great talent with the absence of development, game time coaching, etc...because they had players with high hoops IQ, winning attitudes and chemistry. They all left and this is where you progressively land. At home in March, wishing and hoping for luck again. If you haven't put in the work, don't bank on positive results. Ain't nobody that lucky!

EDIT
Furthermore...it's been stated/rumored that SC/OU WBB has a "list" of some sort for the type of players they want. The "Christian values" have been supposedly a part of it. Well, what about this... If the program is dead set on Christian values, then they should be willing to do away with a "list" and live their lives in a way that the "heathens" they recruit will evolve to these great people they want, if they are living a life that the players see has value and want to change. That is what Christianity is about. You don't have to love the sin, tattoos, sexual orientation or behaviors...but you should love the person enough to hope and pray for change. Or do they think their "list" is the likes of the 10 Commandments and they are gods? Just saying...done preaching!

Last edited:
If Geno was coaching this team we would not have averaged 20 turnovers a game and I doubt that Pellington would be out the door. No question he would not have hesitated to bench her for violation of team rules but he would have not let her wither away.

Playing time had nothing to do with the transfer of Dungee and Pellington. Both should have been solid regulars. Probably some for Mulkey who could have done us some good at the high post where she is doing quite nicely for Rice.

Sherri says that playing time is earned in practice. I agree with that but you should follow the game plan that is set in proctice. Her substitutions often leave me wondering where did that come from.

I have generally been a supporter of Sherri but losing those kids to transfers really has ticked me off. That doesn't happen with good leadership. Also the lack of any inside size has got to be strictly on her.

Her recruiting the last two years has definitely improved. Lacking only in Div I quality inside players.

I wonder if her point system applies in practice as well.

The Board of Regents will review Coales contract, as well as many others Thursday at their meeting in Sulphur. Hopefully, they will not extend her contract and give her and Junior a raise.

I doubt that Coale gets a contract extention or a raise after last season's team performance. But she is still under contract through June 30, 2022. Rest assured Sherri will be given the 3 years through the 2021-2022 season of her current contract to fix the current WBB problems.

I would not project it but would not be surprised if Colton was given a token raise from his current $85K salary and got a year or two extention. JMHO.

https://www.normantranscript.com/sp...cle_ab8be4df-c458-5ab7-872d-19341e6db0fa.html

Back