Colorado Pac-10 move no longer mere rumor

Big 10 will expand to the Northeast if they grab anyone...not saying they won't be asking around, but it is not the smart play for UT (or the Big 10 for that matter).

Texas and OU have no reason to leave the Big XII on their own unless the bottom falls out.

I agree that its not a smart play for UT, but concerning the Big 10, it would be smart for the Big 10 to chose them over anyone in the Northeast.

Great academics, opening a new region and market, and above all else the lucrative finances UT carries. It would be an upgrade with texas as opposed to anyone in the Northeast (i.e. Rutgers, Pitt).

Last edited:
Texas won't leave the Big 12. They have it too good in the Big 12. I think Pitt goes to the Big 10 not Rutgers. If CU does leave I would like to see the Big 12 go for Memphis first then either Air Force or Colorado State.

So, the Denver market....because sports wise, they bring very little $$$$

Sorry, that's what I meant...they bring money through their market share. In reality, all of this conference realignment talk is just about money and market share.

If CU does leave I would like to see the Big 12 go for Memphis first then either Air Force or Colorado State.

None of those schools add anything in Football and only one of them adds anything in Basketball. Why would you be in favor of diluting the conference if someone left? Why do we "have" to add another team?

Good luck getting the Texas legislature approving a move by UT anywhere without ATM involved somehow. For that matter, I believe the Oklahoma legislature would become involved if OU tried to make any move without OSU.

Colorado should be a Mountain West member. They're lucky they're even in the Big12. It's sad to see them disappear from the College Football landscape. Bill McCartney did a great job with their football program in the 80's and early 90's. It really is too bad to see them suck so bad. I hope they stay in the Big12 personally.

IF they go I wouldn't mind seeing Tulsa get in the North division but probably my dream team to go out and grab would be stealing Iowa from the Big10 somehow.

North:
Nebraska
Iowa
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri

South:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
Texas A&M

Agree, this would be a great move for them.

So, who does the Big 12 take when this happens?

Likely Suitors
Houston
Arkansas
TCU
Memphis
New Mexico
Iowa

No way in heck that Arkansas or Iowa leaves their conferences for the Big 12.

Good luck getting the Texas legislature approving a move by UT anywhere without ATM involved somehow. For that matter, I believe the Oklahoma legislature would become involved if OU tried to make any move without OSU.

I'd really prefer not to be in a conference with KSU, Tech, oSu and ISU...just seems sort of demeaning . Maybe SEC boots out Mississipi State and adds OU, UT and aTm to form the mother of all conferences. oSu, KSU and TT could join the mountain west when Utah leaves [thus keeping their numbers even], Baylor and ISU could join conference USA and KU, Mizzou and NU could join the Big 10 to keep their numbers even.

Seriously, whoever was percieved as blocking OU to moving to greener pastures if the opportunity arose in the legislature would hopefuly get voted out of office immediately. I would expect that OU would still play oSu on a yearly basis in most sports; however, it would be better for the state to have OU aligned with SEC and playing Alabama, LSU, Florida etc. every year as well as keeping aTm and UT on the schedule. For sure, if OU gets hand-cuffed to some crappy conference becuase of oSu, I for one will be irate.

None of those schools add anything in Football and only one of them adds anything in Basketball. Why would you be in favor of diluting the conference if someone left? Why do we "have" to add another team?

Colorado adds nothing in football or basketball also. There's a better chance at having more viewers in those areas that's what it does. None of the Texas teams or Utah teams do anything for me either.

Let's move in Houston or Tulsa to the big12 and get our SOS ratings higher.

Colorado adds nothing in football or basketball also. There's a better chance at having more viewers in those areas that's what it does. None of the Texas teams or Utah teams do anything for me either.

They may not add anything in basketball, but football they ADD A LOT. Yes, they may be struggling now, but they are a traditional football power. Only OU, Nebraska, Texas, and arguably A&M definitively have better football programs. Losing Colorado would be a huge loss from a football standpoint.

Utah would be an excellent replacement for Colorado as those two are on par [with Utah maybe even being better in both major sports recently]. Definately do not want another Texas school. Personally, if just Colordao left, I would not try to replace them unless we could get Utah or BYU, just go with 11 teams and move on with the prospect of having the potential for an extra OU/UT game every year. IF UT ever left on thier own to the Big 10 or the Pac-10, I'd be on the horn with aTm and the SEC and be on my way out of the conference.

One other thing that is lurking ot there. If Mack Brown ever becomes the AD at the University of Texas, he is likely going to try to make the OU/UT game a home-and-home and do everything else he can do to stick it to OU. In fact, I'm betting that in anticipation of that change, OU is already makig contingency plans to get the hell out of the conference. I like the Big 12, but bringing in UT was playing with dynamite and OU has the most to lose if that dynamite ever blew up.

Utah would be an excellent replacement for Colorado as those two are on par [with Utah maybe even being better in both major sports recently]. Definately do not want another Texas school. Personally, if just Colordao left, I would not try to replace them unless we could get Utah or BYU, just go with 11 teams and move on with the prospect of having the potential for an extra OU/UT game every year. IF UT ever left on thier own to the Big 10 or the Pac-10, I'd be on the horn with aTm and the SEC and be on my way out of the conference.

One other thing that is lurking ot there. If Mack Brown ever becomes the AD at the University of Texas, he is likely going to try to make the OU/UT game a home-and-home and do everything else he can do to stick it to OU. In fact, I'm betting that in anticipation of that change, OU is already makig contingency plans to get the hell out of the conference. I like the Big 12, but bringing in UT was playing with dynamite and OU has the most to lose if that dynamite ever blew up.

Utah's too good. Big12 teams are going to need that extra win.

Utah's too good. Big12 teams are going to need that extra win.

When is the last time OU went to CU and won? Colorado played for a B12 Championship at least three times in the 2000's...right? I think Colorado is solid in Football, but certainly not as good as Utah is right now. But seriously, Colorado State? Air Force? Memphis? Yuck.

Utah would move with CU to the Pac-10.

Utah would move with CU to the Pac-10.

That is the word, but if not, that is about the only team out there that makes sense to me. Really if Colorado leaves I would not scramble to replace them with anyone unless it was an Iowa or an Arkansas [and niether of those schools are leaving their conferences]. Maybe BYU, but I do not know enough about the school and its market.

Frankly, BYU seems to make the most sense to add with a departure. Good football program, not bad lately in hoops, and pretty much a world wide fan base. That right there is more than you can say about the others, but logistically doubt it would happen. TCU & Houston seem more likely candidates.

Still think its a ways from happening...

That is the word, but if not, that is about the only team out there that makes sense to me. Really if Colorado leaves I would not scramble to replace them with anyone unless it was an Iowa or an Arkansas [and niether of those schools are leaving their conferences]. Maybe BYU, but I do not know enough about the school and its market.

BYU is the only one I could see, have to work around their schedule conflicts, but it can be done.

Back