Colorado Pac-10 move no longer mere rumor

Utah would be an excellent replacement for Colorado as those two are on par [with Utah maybe even being better in both major sports recently]. Definately do not want another Texas school. Personally, if just Colordao left, I would not try to replace them unless we could get Utah or BYU, just go with 11 teams and move on with the prospect of having the potential for an extra OU/UT game every year. IF UT ever left on thier own to the Big 10 or the Pac-10, I'd be on the horn with aTm and the SEC and be on my way out of the conference.

One other thing that is lurking ot there. If Mack Brown ever becomes the AD at the University of Texas, he is likely going to try to make the OU/UT game a home-and-home and do everything else he can do to stick it to OU. In fact, I'm betting that in anticipation of that change, OU is already makig contingency plans to get the hell out of the conference. I like the Big 12, but bringing in UT was playing with dynamite and OU has the most to lose if that dynamite ever blew up.
I hate UT as much as any true OU fan, but I'm willing to admit that the Big 12 needs UT more than UT needs the Big 12. The Big 12 needs the Texas market as well as the national appeal that UT brings to the table. UT will always have other options.

With that said, if the UT dynamite ever blows up, it's not OU that has the most to lose; instead, it's the schools in the Big 12 who don't have truly elite football or basketball programs (i.e. schools besides OU, UT, KU). Also, A&M, with its sheer size and popularity in Houston and other parts of Texas, wouldn't have trouble finding a home, either. I'm sure the SEC would love to add another blue-blood football program like OU's to what is already a football super-conference, and they would probably like to add a huge Texas school like A&M as well. Middle of the pack Big 12 schools like Tech and OSU would have everything to lose. Where would they go? The SEC expanding to 14 teams makes sense if it means adding programs like OU and A&M, but are Tech, OSU, and Baylor really attractive enough to justify expanding beyond that? Would they be adding more to the financial pie than they would be taking from it?

Smash,

I completely agree with you, and that is why I think that on some level the formaion of the B12 was a deal with the devil. Sure, we became a much more attractive conference, but we gave up some things to get there. We would still have been a BCS conference, but not as exposed to UT as we were before.

I further agree that if anything happened to the B12, the losers would be Baylor, Tech, KSU, oSu and Iowa State....OU, aTm, Mizzou, KU and NU have no worries as any conference would LOVE to have those schools. The remaing B12 would be parceled up by the Mountain West and Conference USA.

Smash,

I completely agree with you, and that is why I think that on some level the formaion of the B12 was a deal with the devil. Sure, we became a much more attractive conference, but we gave up some things to get there. We would still have been a BCS conference, but not as exposed to UT as we were before.

I further agree that if anything happened to the B12, the losers would be Baylor, Tech, KSU, oSu and Iowa State....OU, aTm, Mizzou, KU and NU have no worries as any conference would LOVE to have those schools. The remaing B12 would be parceled up by the Mountain West and Conference USA.
Yeah, I should have thrown Nebraska and Mizzou into the list of schools who would be fine if anything happened to the Big 12. They would both be a good fit in the Big Ten, with Nebraska's cash-cow football program and Mizzou's in-state markets.

I hate UT as much as any true OU fan, but I'm willing to admit that the Big 12 needs UT more than UT needs the Big 12. The Big 12 needs the Texas market as well as the national appeal that UT brings to the table. UT will always have other options.

With that said, if the UT dynamite ever blows up, it's not OU that has the most to lose; instead, it's the schools in the Big 12 who don't have truly elite football or basketball programs (i.e. schools besides OU, UT, KU). Also, A&M, with its sheer size and popularity in Houston and other parts of Texas, wouldn't have trouble finding a home, either. I'm sure the SEC would love to add another blue-blood football program like OU's to what is already a football super-conference, and they would probably like to add a huge Texas school like A&M as well. Middle of the pack Big 12 schools like Tech and OSU would have everything to lose. Where would they go? The SEC expanding to 14 teams makes sense if it means adding programs like OU and A&M, but are Tech, OSU, and Baylor really attractive enough to justify expanding beyond that? Would they be adding more to the financial pie than they would be taking from it?

I wouldn't mind being a part of that situation. The Big 12 from a financial standpoint is subpar compared to the SEC and Big 10, anyways.

When is the last time OU went to CU and won? Colorado played for a B12 Championship at least three times in the 2000's...right? I think Colorado is solid in Football, but certainly not as good as Utah is right now. But seriously, Colorado State? Air Force? Memphis? Yuck.

Yeah, I was joking. I knew someone would bring those facts up. I'm kind of a different cat because I could care less about the B12. I'm just an OU homer.

Very interesting thread.
TV dollars for football is almost everything, just add some recruiting base. I love hoops maybe more than football but football pays. We need great exposure on TV in Texas but that doesn't require ut, though we do need several Texas schools. After that any school that brings strong TV viewership will do. Travel distance isn't such a big deal if you are jetting somewhere anyway. Being the only football giant in the conference isn't a bad thing, ask USC. Do we need to have the conference championship game in football, I'll leave that up to Joe C.

Nebraska isn't a big state but every TV watches NU, no pro teams, no competition in state.
New Mexico has no competition in state, same for Boise and Wyoming.

They may not add anything in basketball, but football they ADD A LOT. Yes, they may be struggling now, but they are a traditional football power. Only OU, Nebraska, Texas, and arguably A&M definitively have better football programs. Losing Colorado would be a huge loss from a football standpoint.

When was that? When was CU a traditional football power? Please let me know the decades that CU was a traditional football power.

I agree. Memphis from a basketball standpoint would be good. From an academic/football stand point, not so much.

TCU and Houston would be the best plausible options IMO.

I disagree with TCU completely.... they bring nothing to the table. Their overall athletic department is very poor other than baseball and football and the Dallas television market is already in the bag for conference. If we were going to go for another small private school Tulane and BYU bring much more to the table to offer than TCU.

If there by some chance is a shake up in the Big XII could we please get rid of Baylor in the process? k thx

When was that? When was CU a traditional football power? Please let me know the decades that CU was a traditional football power.

16th all-time in wins, 22nd in all-time winning percentage.... I think that qualifies as a traditional power. Definitely a traditional conference power without question.

I disagree with TCU completely.... they bring nothing to the table. Their overall athletic department is very poor other than baseball and football and the Dallas television market is already in the bag for conference. If we were going to go for another small private school Tulane and BYU bring much more to the table to offer than TCU.

I wouldn't mind going to road games to the Big Easy....

If there by some chance is a shake up in the Big XII could we please get rid of Baylor in the process? k thx

Why? Because they are bad in football? Baylor brings more from an athletic department standpoint than most of the schools in the conference. They probably have the fourth or fifth best overall AD. Baseball is strong, softball is strong, both basketball teams are solid, Track and Field is a juggernaut (only one Olympic gold medalist in the 400M in over a quarter of a century did not attend Baylor).

Why? Because of football?

They're pretty solid in everything else, athletic department as a whole is much stronger than TCU's.

I don't mind Baylor in the conference [although they are starting to bug me a little bit in basketball recruiting].

CU leaving is not a problem. Just invited CSU and it is an even trade. What matters is TV markets and that keeps the Denver market interested in Big XII football.

The biggest problem with CU leaving is it may convince Missouri to leave. Missouri is much harder to replace.

Back