Colorado Pac-10 move no longer mere rumor

That I agree with but I do not want any more Texas schools.

I understand that. Who else would there be though? One of the Utah schools? UNM? Bottom line Colorado's leave would hurt the conference, given their appealing Denver media market. And they may not be a big loss at basketball, but their a traditional power in football and could turn around at some point.

If they left, whoever the replacement would be would not equally fill their shoes.

I don't know a lot about the Big East/Conference USA deal that transpired a few years ago, but if Memphis wasn't invited to join the Big East along with Marquette, Louisville, etc., you can't help but think that their situation isn't all enticing.

I think Memphis was just the odd man out at that point. If Rutgers moves to the Big 10 (which is what I believe will happen), expect Memphis to get a Big East bid to fill the void. In my opinion, if the Big XII's only option is to add a TCU, Houston, UNM, etc....then OU's best bet is to find their way out as well. The college landscape is headed to a field where there are basically 4 power conferences....the Big XII isn't going to be one of them.

Agree, this would be a great move for them.

So, who does the Big 12 take when this happens?

Likely Suitors
Houston
Arkansas
TCU
Memphis
New Mexico
Iowa

I don't think we could get Arkansas or Iowa even if we wanted to and when you look at the remaining teams contenders, they seem to actually dillute the conference overall. So, if I am the B12 I don't take any of those schools and would be content with the 11 teams overall since you only need "divisions" for football championship game purposes [and the schedule could be set up to have OU and UT playing rematches for the B12 Championship every few years].

Notwithstanding the above, if my heart was set on replacing Colorado, I'd be going after BYU or Louisville [assuming that Utah would also be headed to the Pac-10]. Both would be adequate football replacements for Colorado and, for sure with Louisville, a HUGE step up in basketball. BYU only has one caveat, no Basketball on Sundays [and to me, that is not that big of a deal]. I'll miss Colorado being part of the Big 12 but not THAT much.

Bring back the Big 8 and lets take one of the Texas schools to replace Colorado.

I think New Mexico, TCU or Houston are the most probable IF Colorado actually goes to the PAC-10, which might not even happen.

Interesting enough, it was reported on ESPN that texas and the Big 10 have entered discussion about it. Not saying its serious, read for yourself though.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/19529/texas-reportedly-talks-with-big-ten

Would be the worst decision they could make, sports-wise. Fans couldn't afford to travel to as many away games, since they'd all be a considerable distance away. Athletes would spend WAY more time traveling. Traveling budget would go up, no more bus trips or short flights. For ALL sports. They'd either have to play them every year, or lose rivalries with OU and aTm. They'd be recruiting, for football, mostly southern state players, then expecting them to want to play up north, not against their friends in the Big 12 and surrounding conferences. The weather. How does Big 10 baseball stack up?

Aside from the academic side of things, I don't see how UT benefits at all. It would probably HURT their recruiting in their own state.

I think Memphis was just the odd man out at that point. If Rutgers moves to the Big 10 (which is what I believe will happen), expect Memphis to get a Big East bid to fill the void. In my opinion, if the Big XII's only option is to add a TCU, Houston, UNM, etc....then OU's best bet is to find their way out as well. The college landscape is headed to a field where there are basically 4 power conferences....the Big XII isn't going to be one of them.

That's what I thought about Memphis as well. Which goes back to what I was saying... Any school east of the Mississippi that was left out of the Big East's expansion, would not be a viable replacement for Colorado. It would be a step down for the Big 12.

I agree about Rutgers, and to be honest that would level the playing field in the Big 10 eventually, should the move ever take place. Penn State, Ohio St, etc. have been taking the New Jersey/northeast recruits from Rutgers for years. This would definitely elevate Rutgers' potential from a performance standpoint. And I think OU should bounce if the Big 12 has limited options as well. They are one school that can thrive whatever it decides to do, but getting out would help them more IMO.

Agree, this would be a great move for them.

So, who does the Big 12 take when this happens?

Likely Suitors
Houston
Arkansas
TCU
Memphis
New Mexico
Iowa

Honestly...I would drop Iowa state and just have 10 teams. Round robin regular season with not championship game (for football).

If we don't drop another school we could just keep 11 and only play 3 on conference games.

Seriously, what does CU bring this to conference besides the Denver tv market?

Would be the worst decision they could make, sports-wise. Fans couldn't afford to travel to as many away games, since they'd all be a considerable distance away. Athletes would spend WAY more time traveling. Traveling budget would go up, no more bus trips or short flights. For ALL sports. They'd either have to play them every year, or lose rivalries with OU and aTm. They'd be recruiting, for football, mostly southern state players, then expecting them to want to play up north, not against their friends in the Big 12 and surrounding conferences. The weather. How does Big 10 baseball stack up?

Aside from the academic side of things, I don't see how UT benefits at all. It would probably HURT their recruiting in their own state.

Yep...agree wholeheartedly

Interesting enough, it was reported on ESPN that texas and the Big 10 have entered discussion about it. Not saying its serious, read for yourself though.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/19529/texas-reportedly-talks-with-big-ten

Big 10 will expand to the Northeast if they grab anyone...not saying they won't be asking around, but it is not the smart play for UT (or the Big 10 for that matter).

Texas and OU have no reason to leave the Big XII on their own unless the bottom falls out.

I agree with you on everything except the travel budget. Yes, it would go up, but the lucrative Big 10 television contracts would offset and probably surpass the traveling budgets, or so I've read.

The main problem is if texas wants to play a harder non conference schedule (They will keep the rivalry with OU and A&M), and as you touched on take their athletes, fans into consideration. All in all, I agree I don't think they would be wise to move. We will see what happens I guess.

Every Big 12 commissioner the conference has had has been a complete hack.

If UT ever left the B12, OU and aTm would leave for the SEC in a heartbeat and we'd roll right along in what is arguably the best conference in the nation. Based on the relative lack of a fanbase and national recognition, I doubt the SEC would have interest in adding oSu since they don't wrestle [although golf might get them in?]. Would you be interested in playing oSu non-conference in 2 for 1's in the revenue producing sports?

Back