Conversation on The Animal

MsProudSooner

Reaction score
as I drove home from work.

They were discussing the upcoming draft and said that the economy is causing some teams to approach the draft differently than in the past. They said that many would be trying to make trades and unload 'bad' contracts.

My question is this: How does the economy affect the way Blake & his agent look at his contract and bonus? Or is there no wiggle room for rookies?

Blake's contract is rookie scale. It will be slotted for the #1 pick, will be for two years guaranteed followed by consecutive team option years. The salary will go up gradually each season (scale for tenure in the league). He knows right now exactly what his NBA contract will pay and for how long.

Who was having the convo? Jim and Al are pretty ignorant on that stuff, so I wouldn't put too much into it.

Who was having the convo? Jim and Al are pretty ignorant on that stuff, so I wouldn't put too much into it.
Jim can do a mean job breaking in a baseball glove, though.

Blake's contract is rookie scale. It will be slotted for the #1 pick, will be for two years guaranteed followed by consecutive team option years. The salary will go up gradually each season (scale for tenure in the league). He knows right now exactly what his NBA contract will pay and for how long.

It was Al, Jim & Berry Trammel. I think Trammel was the one who had read something about the economy affecting how teams would approach trades etc this year.

Jim can do a mean job breaking in a baseball glove, though.

And b****ing about his personal life. I don't care how serious or non serious his procedures are, nobody cares about him as a person. He's just an entertainer and that's what he should be on the radio. The day Wayman passed he spent the first 10 minutes on Wayman's passing and then spent an hour talking about some routine hip procedure he had later that day. He is a such a conceded, selfish crybaby. Since that day I have not and will not ever listen to him again. I stick solely to national ESPN radio. Colin Cowherd's show, "The Herd" is really good. He is smart, he can speak well, and he has really good breakdowns of the sporting world. You'll never once hear about his trip to the dentist, or how much people like him, or throw in little political remarks on a sports show. Traber is an absolute joke of a radio personality.

The exacts salaries aren't technically set in stone. Per the collective bargaining agreement, a yearly figure is slotted at each draft position, but anywhere between 80% and 120% of that figure is allowable under the CBA and is to be determined by player-team negotiation.

Right now, the 120% figure is pretty much the stock contract, and that is what Blake will almost certainly receive. However, I guess you never know for sure. Also, signing bonuses are not permitted in the rookie scale, so that is not an issue.

And b****ing about his personal life. I don't care how serious or non serious his procedures are, nobody cares about him as a person. He's just an entertainer and that's what he should be on the radio. The day Wayman passed he spent the first 10 minutes on Wayman's passing and then spent an hour talking about some routine hip procedure he had later that day. He is a such a conceded, selfish crybaby. Since that day I have not and will not ever listen to him again. I stick solely to national ESPN radio. Colin Cowherd's show, "The Herd" is really good. He is smart, he can speak well, and he has really good breakdowns of the sporting world. You'll never once hear about his trip to the dentist, or how much people like him, or throw in little political remarks on a sports show. Traber is an absolute joke of a radio personality.

But I don't want Al to go blind! (What exactly is the problem he's been having with his eyes? Every time they talk about it, I miss the first part of the conversation.)

Back