Current Events Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigabd

Reaction score
In order to keep the other thread about Covid-19, thought I would start a current events thread for general chatter about the goings on in the world. If you guys think its a bad idea, I will delete the thread.

Figure I will kick us off with the situation in Seattle. It looks like protesters have created some kind of "autonomous zone" with no police presence.

Trump is acting like the city has been overrun by Antifa, literally tweeting that the city has been taken over.

2020-06-11.png

Anyone know how extensive this really is?

I say let whatever city doesn't want police do without them and see how that goes for them. Will be a lovely study.

It is also nice that in new york,vandalism is churches is OK now because it is just a minor offense and it isn't worth stopping or prosecuting people doing it because the negatives outweigh the positives.

what is this world coming to?

Oh, and yes this is a terrible idea for a thread

I say let whatever city doesn't want police do without them and see how that goes for them. Will be a lovely study.

It is also nice that in new york,vandalism is churches is OK now because it is just a minor offense and it isn't worth stopping or prosecuting people doing it because the negatives outweigh the positives.

what is this world coming to?

Oh, and yes this is a terrible idea for a thread

Attention is what he craves. It's trollicious.

Tulsa made national news for black men getting arrested for jaywalking. Pretty evident they were ignoring police and resisting arrest

So, domestic terrorists take over a portion of a downtown American city and the democrat that started this thread sees nothing wrong with that?

The terrorists are shaking down local businesses and setting up borders (isn’t that a no-no with dems?) and yet, still nothing from the left?

LOL.

So, domestic terrorists take over a portion of a downtown American city and the democrat that started this thread sees nothing wrong with that?

The terrorists are shaking down local businesses and setting up borders (isn’t that a no-no with dems?) and yet, still nothing from the left?

LOL.

Anything for power and I mean anything. Peculiar coming from moralistic and virtuous folks. When you introduce convenience, though, it creates forked tongue individuals. No surprise here. Expect more of the same.

This story about the "police state" during the protests in Minnesota got my attention.......

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-u...uring-minneapolis-protests-police-agencies-sa

I can't believe that the national guard and law officers thought it would be a "good idea" to slash all the tires in the parking lot. Because the owners "might" cause trouble later......????

I would like to know who gave the order on this one....

abd, have you ever been to Seattle? It's a wonderful city.

But, man, their downtown is a MESS. The homeless population down there has grown exponentially and they give tourists and locals alike all kinds of hell. I'm pretty well traveled domestically, and being in downtown Seattle a few years back is the only time I ever felt unsafe.

abd, have you ever been to Seattle? It's a wonderful city.

But, man, their downtown is a MESS. The homeless population down there has grown exponentially and they give tourists and locals alike all kinds of hell. I'm pretty well traveled domestically, and being in downtown Seattle a few years back is the only time I ever felt unsafe.

I have not, but have wanted to go.... I went to San Francisco on business 3-4 years ago and found a similar scene with the homeless. Of course, I see lots of homeless people in Denver, Las Vegas, and other major cities I go to... but I've heard its very bad in Seattle.

Tulsa made national news for black men getting arrested for jaywalking. Pretty evident they were ignoring police and resisting arrest

I saw the video.... I see two sides to this. Why were they trying to stop them for jaywalking. I am 100% I would never get questioned by police for that. But once they engaged with the people they were definitely resisting. But at this point in time I think it was dumb for the cops to bother them for jaywalking. Have some common sense.

I saw the video.... I see two sides to this. Why were they trying to stop them for jaywalking. I am 100% I would never get questioned by police for that. But once they engaged with the people they were definitely resisting. But at this point in time I think it was dumb for the cops to bother them for jaywalking. Have some common sense.

Yep. I'm not sure why they were stopped for jaywalking. Could be because the cops were racist. Could be that people have been hit on the road before. Could be that they have been told before. Could be that drivers have complained about people walking on the road stopping traffic.

I'm confused on why people are outraged by the Atlanta video that came out. The guy stole their tazer and was trying to use it on them. What would have happened if he was successful?

I'm confused on why people are outraged by the Atlanta video that came out. The guy stole their tazer and was trying to use it on them. What would have happened if he was successful?

I didn't agree with their attorneys statement on that.... He was saying "you can't shoot him because he had a tazer, but a tazer is not a deadly weapon, so you killed him and he didn't have a deadly weapon"... That logic doesn't add up to me.

The officer has a deadly weapon, his gun. If I use a tazer on the cop, I then have access to his gun, or could otherwise kill him if I wanted to because he is incapacitated.

Am I wrong on that?

I don't understand how that whole thing escalated. Dude was asleep in his car.

I didn't agree with their attorneys statement on that.... He was saying "you can't shoot him because he had a tazer, but a tazer is not a deadly weapon, so you killed him and he didn't have a deadly weapon"... That logic doesn't add up to me.

The officer has a deadly weapon, his gun. If I use a tazer on the cop, I then have access to his gun, or could otherwise kill him if I wanted to because he is incapacitated.

Am I wrong on that?

I don't know why I am responding, but you have your bases covered on this one. And what has been your latest read (as in book)? Historical in nature I hope.

Am I wrong on that?

That is my thought as well. In all likelihood, the guy probably would have tazed them and ran away. But there was the chance he had more sinister plans and could have tazed them and taken their guns and killed them

I just feel like we are getting to the point where any black killing by a cop is going to be protested, even if it is justified.

And that is dangerous. That is what will lead to good cops calling it quits. This will just exasperate the problem as the only people that will want to be cops will be bad dudes that want the power.

I just feel like we are getting to the point where any black killing by a cop is going to be protested, even if it is justified.

And that is dangerous. That is what will lead to good cops calling it quits. This will just exasperate the problem as the only people that will want to be cops will be bad dudes that want the power.

And when crime goes unabated they will be blamed. How lovely.

This. The reason(s) mentioned above are exactly why he had the right to shoot the guy. It's crazy. They want to protest and complain about EVERY case now. What they don't understand is that they aren't making things better. Things are about to get a lot worse, and that isn't good for anybody.

The chaz area is being run by criminal overlords. There are reports of rape and theft. The entire area has been vandalized and likely businesses will be dead and/or move out of the area, killing that area for decades. It’s a lord of the flies situation in there. Yet, the leaders of Seattle and the state of Washington continue to do nothing. Why are they not held accountable? Somehow, the trump haters will find a way to blame the president when it’s the local officials who have failed miserably.

What do the dems have to say about this?

I don't know why I am responding, but you have your bases covered on this one. And what has been your latest read (as in book)? Historical in nature I hope.

Yea, in a way... I am currently reading a book called "Plunder of the Commons" by Guy Standing, and it has some interesting history to set the stage for it. It starts with a history of an interesting piece of historical legislation called "The Charter of the Forest", which was signed along with the Magna Carta in 1217... I had honestly never heard of it, so it was interesting to read about that. I am only beginning the book, and I got a little side-tracked with doing more research on The Charter of the Forest outside the book, but it seems like it's going to be an interesting read so far.

For fun I also bought some DIY (do it yourself) solar energy books recently... I am actually going to try and build a small solar energy setup, starting with a light and then working my way up from there. We will see where that goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back