Deadspin: After Loss to Kansas, Angry Iowa State Fan Rushes Court

Big Old Booger

Reaction score
http://deadspin.com/5986921/after-l...-fan-rushes-court-tries-to-confront-bill-self

According to various accounts from the end of Kansas's 108-96 overtime win over Iowa State, a fan attempted to rush the court and confront Kansas head coach Bill Self. The game was already mildly controversial after a puzzling block or charge no-call on an Elijah Johnson drive in the final seconds of regulation. It was immediately followed by a hold foul called on Iowa State after Johnson's shot missed and the ball bounced loose. The resulting free-throws tied the game and sent the teams to overtime. The whole sequence is now under review by the Big 12.

Then, with just two seconds left in overtime and a Kansas win in hand, Elijah Johnson drove for an uncontested dunk, angering the crowd even further. All this presumably built to a tipping point for many fans—several people in the student section reportedly threw plastic megaphones at the Kansas players as they left the court—including the man above who needed to be restrained by police.

@jayregan_hi5To clarify, the ISU fan was up close yelling at Self, who just kept walking as the cop pulled the fan away.
— Nick Krug (@nickkrug) February 26, 2013

@jayregan_hi5 No swings, but the fan looked pretty mad.
— Nick Krug (@nickkrug) February 26, 2013

@jpljayhawk Self was walking out after TV interview. That fan charged at him, got shoulder-to-shoulder. Policeman pushed him back.
— Jesse Newell (@jessenewell) February 26, 2013

At around the :13 mark of the video below, when the camera angle shifts, you can hear the crowd begin to boo and people in the background reacting to, and gesturing toward, something on the court. When watching it in real time it seemed the crowd was just booing Johnson and Self, but with this context it seems probable they were reacting to the confrontation.

(Click the link above for a video; you can hear ISU fans either booing Self or booing the fan who tried to confront him)

Fan shouldn't be allowed back to a game for awhile. No reason to do stupid stuff like that.

That fan is an embarrassment. To confront a coach on the court over a freakin college basketball game is beyond pathetic. He should be banned from the arena.

Agreed with the previous 2 posters.

I do think people are getting frustrated with the "KU rules" and it's coming to a head. But, that doesn't excuse or should translate to abhorrent behavior.

Unless he saw Bill Self passing cash to the ref, he had no beef with Self.

Agreed. Bad calls or not, there is never an excuse for that kind of behavior. The fan should be banned, or maybe even charged with attemped assault, if what he did rose to that level.

I laughed at this story, but it really is sad. People need to get a grip, never understood why someone would lose their cookies after a game.

first thought when i saw the photo: OMG, it's an ADULT?!

PS: if you're interested, there's ISU post-KU meltdown material at the link in my sig

Fans were booing the officials and Johnsons classless/uncontested dunk as time expired.

Didn't Hield try to dunk at the end of the OSU or KU win? Seems like he was a second late, but he tried. Or am I misremembering?

Why would how our fans react be compared to ISU's?

Not the point I'm trying to make.

I'm in the wrong thread, but it was mentioned above. I'm making fun of the OU fans that reamed Johnson's dunk at the end of the game, but never said a word when an OU player did the same thing.

I'm in the wrong thread, but it was mentioned above. I'm making fun of the OU fans that reamed Johnson's dunk at the end of the game, but never said a word when an OU player did the same thing.
Did Buddy jaw with the opposing fans afterward? I mean, the game was at home, not even possible.

It's simply an awful comparison.

It's the exact point you are making. Your main schtick on this site is to slow all us OU fans down when we are acting up or getting overly happy/overconfident about our team. Too often, you also miss the forest for the trees.

Johnson went coast to coast as everyone on both teams stopped playing while self is holding both arms up trying to keep Johnson a senior, from doing it.

It was ok for Johnson to do that because it helped out the Ken pom stat right WT.

I have to agree with everybody else here. The Buddy dunk was not even close to the same situation as what Johnson did last night. Buddy's was at home in a game that was just played out. The Johnson dunk was on the road against a team that had to suffer a horrible ref screw job to send it to OT. Then he showboats after the dunk in front of ISU's student section.

I will say that I was impressed afterwards when Johnson was interviewed and apologized for his dunk. He admitted it was the wrong thing to do.

The point of this whole thread was that the old man ISU fan was way out of line to try to confront Bill Self after the game. That was just pathetic.

Back