Depth in the Post (4/5 Positions)

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
Post Player Depth

Probable Starters
> Khadeem Lattin (Senior, 6-9, 212)
> Kristian Doolittle (Sophomore, 6-7, 236)

Scholarship Depth
> Jamuni McNeace (RS-Junior, 6-10, 215)
> Matt Freeman (RS-Sophomore, 6-10, 224)
> Brady Manek (Freshman, 6-9, 215)
> Hannes Pöllä (Freshman, 6-11, 265)

Walk-on Post Players
> Marshall Thorpe (RS-Sophomore, 6-9, 235)
> Read Streller (Freshman, 6-8, 220)

1. The numbers are good. There is plenty of competition which helps in so many ways.
2. The Sooners have a tall team. There is plenty of height on the roster.
3. The scholarship class distribution is good .. 1 senior; 1 junior; 2 sophomores and 2 freshmen.
4. There is a good mix of experience and youth.

Depth and numbers are important, but productivity and good basketball play is much more important. OU was ranked 6th in rebounding margin in conference games last season, getting slightly outrebounded by Big-12 teams (37.3 rpg to 37.2 rpg). This needs to improve.

Last Year’s Leading Rebounders on OU Team
> 194 (6.3 per game) .. Khadeem Lattin
> 193 (6.2 per game) .. Kristian Doolittle
> 132 (4.4 per game) .. Rashard Odomes (Guard)
> 114 (3.7 per game) .. Jamuni McNeace
> 114 (3.7 per game) .. Christian James (Guard)

Last Year’s Minutes Played & Points by Post Players
Minutes .... ........ Points .. ............ Player
776 (25.0 mpg) .. 281 (9.1 ppg) .... Kristian Doolittle (SO; 6-7; 236) .. Started 25 of 31 games as freshman
738 (23.8 mpg) .. 260 (8.4 ppg) .... Khadeem Lattin (SR; 6-9; 212) .. Started 68 straight games last 2 seasons
481 (15.5 mpg) .. 137 (4.4 ppg) .... Jamuni McNeace (RS-JR; 6-10; 215) .. Played in all 31 games
232 (8.9 mpg) .... 71 (2.7 ppg) ...... Matt Freeman (RS-SO; 6-10; 224) .. Played in 26 games

Everybody is back from last season and they are working hard this summer to improve. The new guys should help bring fresh enthusiasm to the group. I always enjoy watching the development of OU basketball players during their years at OU. I am so looking forward to a new year, a new season and an improved Sooner team.

Interested to see what kind of leap Doolittle might make. Freshman to soph years can be a huge boost, the game slows down, you've got another year in the gym and weight room.

Same could be said for McNeace. I thought he was night and day last year compared to his freshman year, even if his stats don't show it. His freshman year he was completely overwhelmed and had a long way to go. Last year he showed flashes with absolutely no consistency. His game against UT with 14 and 14 and 2 blocks showed how impactful he could be.

Honestly, if I were kruger, I would toy with a lineup with McNeace starting and Lattin off the bench. I think McNeace is the perfect center to screen and roll and catch lobs from Trey (not that Lattin can't). But Lattin seems focused on expanding his offensive game, shooting 3's and jumpers, instead of being a trash big around the bucket and blocking whoever gets into the lane. He could be a great 1st big off the bench.

Interested to see what kind of leap Doolittle might make. Freshman to soph years can be a huge boost, the game slows down, you've got another year in the gym and weight room.

Same could be said for McNeace. I thought he was night and day last year compared to his freshman year, even if his stats don't show it. His freshman year he was completely overwhelmed and had a long way to go. Last year he showed flashes with absolutely no consistency. His game against UT with 14 and 14 and 2 blocks showed how impactful he could be.

Honestly, if I were kruger, I would toy with a lineup with McNeace starting and Lattin off the bench. I think McNeace is the perfect center to screen and roll and catch lobs from Trey (not that Lattin can't). But Lattin seems focused on expanding his offensive game, shooting 3's and jumpers, instead of being a trash big around the bucket and blocking whoever gets into the lane. He could be a great 1st big off the bench.

mcneace was so far behind lattin in team d last year .... it made it hard to play him sometimes

Ya lattin is kinda going the ibaka route imo. Losing focus on what his strengths are. Lattin is not a good shooter or finisher. Needs much more basketball IQ too. He needs to be a trash O player and defensive player

Mcneace is going to blow up imo. His athleticism is through the roof. Has high potential to be a strong finisher but still has a ways to go. He still really needs to be more assertive on both ends of the court. Esp needs to pick it up on the defensive end with rebounding.

It's crazy that mcneace has 2 more years! Great use of the increasingly rare redshirt in basketball (i always get crushed thinking if Longar Longar had been redshirted. Also to a much lesser extent, i think Tyler Neal could have been a much more important piece if he had been too. Felt like the light was really coming on near his finish)

. . . . . . .

It's crazy that mcneace has 2 more years! Great use of the increasingly rare redshirt in basketball (i always get crushed thinking if Longar Longar had been redshirted. Also to a much lesser extent, i think Tyler Neal could have been a much more important piece if he had been too. Felt like the light was really coming on near his finish)

Agree. For the same reasons, I would not be disappointed at all if Brady Manek or Hannes Pöllä redshirt this season. There are only so many "post" minutes to go around.

I like this idea. If Jamuni's bb IQ and consistency have caught up with his athleticism then Lattin will have a fight on his hands. Sounds like both are really working hard this summer.

The one thing I worry about w/ Jamuni are cheap fouls. From cowboysooner's excellent practice report it sounds like practices have more flow now that the frosh are sophs. It will be interesting to see how much that translates into better defense for Jamuni and others.

Agree. For the same reasons, I would not be disappointed at all if Brady Manek or Hannes Pöllä redshirt this season. There are only so many "post" minutes to go around.

Manek sounds like hes impressing.

I would love polla to redshirt (with his frame, he's gonna be a weapon someday)

Back