Does Capel have what it takes to coach this team?

I agree with Skyvue, this team has talent. This team has more talent on that several of Sampson's teams.
This team is out of control and that has to go on the head coach.

I honestly don't know if we have the depth in talent. We might have 4 or 5 good players but not many more than that.

How did we get to this point, though? Isn't Coach Capel responsible for the talent we have on hand and the behavior, attitudes, and work ethic of the young players he brought in (and the lack of depth that allows them to keep getting significant playing time, no matter how much they fall short, on the court and off)?

Sorry, but I believe that plenty of coaches would have done a better job with this bunch than Coach Capel has done. It pains me to say it, but I believe it to be true.

Lots of things...some players not playing up to par, injuries, suspensions, bad attitudes, you name it. There are some things coaches can't fix.

He did last year. Next year will be the key to answering a lot of your questions in my opinion.

I agree BT. If Jeff can't get things turned around next season Joe will have to make a change. The problems we are witnessing this year go beyond the lack of talent.

Lots of things...some players not playing up to par, injuries, suspensions, bad attitudes, you name it. There are some things coaches can't fix.

He recruited the players. He also brought in Pattillo and Cannon. Where are they?? Maze is playing well at Tennessee. You have to look at the coach and how he judges players. Anyone could coach Blake and Taylor Griffin.

This team looks like a John Blake coached football team.

He recruited the players. He also brought in Pattillo and Cannon. Where are they?? Maze is playing well at Tennessee. You have to look at the coach and how he judges players. Anyone could coach Blake and Taylor Griffin.

This team looks like a John Blake coached football team.

Hate to say it but I agree.

The issues for this year are rooted in the mess Sampson left behind. Reduced schollies and a bad recruiting class the year he left are still effecting this team. To fill the schollies of the guys that bolted we brought on lesser talent. We enjoyed two great years with Griffin, but when you have one (or two) and done type talent you have to get it every year. If you don't then you will have a down year. See UNC this year for a great example. To be consistently good you have to have consistent recruiting classes and guys have to stick around. Look at the guys who signed or played one year at OU that are starting for other teams. James, Reynolds, Maze...

This has nothing to do with Sampson. Capel has had 4 years in the program. He has recruited his own players and put in his system. This loss today had nothing to do with him. Please stop that nonsense.

Now that's funny!

Last edited by a moderator:
The issues for this year are rooted in the mess Sampson left behind. Reduced schollies and a bad recruiting class the year he left are still effecting this team. To fill the schollies of the guys that bolted we brought on lesser talent. We enjoyed two great years with Griffin, but when you have one (or two) and done type talent you have to get it every year. If you don't then you will have a down year. See UNC this year for a great example. To be consistently good you have to have consistent recruiting classes and guys have to stick around. Look at the guys who signed or played one year at OU that are starting for other teams. James, Reynolds, Maze...

Wrong! Sampson has been gone for four years. He is not to blame for anything we have seen this season.

OU's roster has plenty of talent. They are simply not playing together as a team, and it's been that way since the season started.

this has nothing to do with sampson. Capel has had 4 years in the program. He has recruited his own players and put in his system. This loss today had nothing to do with him. Please stop that nonsense.

seniors!!!

Wrong! Sampson has been gone for three years. He is not to blame for anything we have seen this season.

OU's roster has plenty of talent. They are simply not playing together as a team, and it's been that way since the season started.

Where is all this talent? Every player on this team his major hole in their game!

I think we have 4 or 5 guys you can say are talented and ready to play at this level. And about 2 others that will be really good in time. The rest of the roster isn't that talented.

Wrong! Sampson has been gone for four years. He is not to blame for anything we have seen this season.

You don't think this has anything to do with what Sampson left behind? That's complete B.S. If this team had THREE more seniors, we wouldn't be relying on Pledger and Fitzgerald, hell, they might not even be here. Tiny would have a year to mature (or now, losing him, possibly for good, wouldn't hurt as bad). Cade would just be our hustle guy, instead of our key player. The mess Kelvin left behind has EVERYTHING to do with this. Capel is now in a world of hurt because he might not have been the best guy to get us through that mess, as we are seeing right now.

Next year is the key, but if this team doesn't find a leader quickly, next year will be a mess, too.

Ask Tom Crean how he likes dealing with Kelvin's mess. At a top-10 basketball program, at that.

Capel had Keith Clark, Bobby Maze, and then JUCOs Patillo and Cannon. None of them are on the roster that would be 4 seniors that we don't have. Can't Kelvin Sampson for any of those.

Back