Dom Raney update

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
This is for you Sooner23

http://www.hoopsreport.com/news/hoopsnews/raneyhasarrived

Raney has arrived
By: Jeff Meadows

Raney Has Arrived
The Great State of Oklahoma has produced such players as Wayman Tisdale, Milwood's Brian Hopgood, Booker T's Fred Burley, Blake Griffin ("09" top NBA draft pick), Sam Bradford and Putnam City High's Xavier Henry. Once again the Sooner state has a top tier player and that player is also from Putnam City H.S. his name: Dominue Raney. Raney is a 6’4 extreemly skilled guard that has all of the physical tools along with all of the off the court intangibles that could make this young man an instant national high school basketball house hold name. “Dominique is the real deal” says Avery West Coach of the Oklahoma City Magic AAU team. “Not a lot of people know about Dominique yet but trust me; he’s the only thing they’re going to be talking about this spring and summer”. Dominique played his freshman and sophomore seasons along side Xavier Henry (who is currently a stand out player for KU) and last season is when people started to take notice of Raney. Dominique began turning heads when he played at one of the top tournaments in the country if not the top event the Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions held at UNC, NC State and Duke University. Bob Gibbons picked Raney as one the top young prospects at the tournament and a future star. Dominuque also played in the Hoop Group basketball tournament in NYC this past summer where he played against such players as: NYC’s 6’8 (F) Micheal Gilchrest the nation’s top player and Dallas TX’s 6'6 power wing LaBryant Nash another one the nation’s top ranked players and Dominique played very well so well in fact, he was named as one the top 10 players at that event. “I couldn’t be more proud as a father” says Arthur Raney Dominiques’s Father. “He’s a gym rat; all he wants to do is just go to the gym whether it be after a game or on his days off”. Dominique also has a deep passion and love for music. Dominique plays a number of musical instruments including the piano. Dominique is a High Major prospect and along with being a great student (3.5 core GPA) Dominique is a high character guy, he is the total package. To discribe Dominiques's game is this; he has a very good handle, he’s a very good 3 pt/long range shooter, he’s an excellent defender and he loves to attack the basket and posterrise or utube if you will, his opponents. Dominique attacks the basket with such extreme strength, aggression, athleticism and determination that he’s probably going to finish with the foul. Raney is also very athletic sporting a 47-49 inch vert, he’s really a human high light real and if you haven’t seen him, utube him and you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about. Raney is currently averaging 26 pts 6 rebounds and 4 blocks a game for Putnam City H.S. and like I said at the beggining of this article Dominique has arrived and he’s ready to put Putnam City on his back along with the state of Oklahoma. I give Dominique Raney my stamp of approval as being a “Prime Time Baller” and Raney is a bonified top 20-25 player in the class of 2011, remember where you heard it first www.hoopsreport.com. Don’t forget to log on at the end of Jan. to get www.hoopsreport.com top 100 rankings in the class’s of 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Coach Capel, make your move on this kid.

Interesting take. I didn't know he was this good

One gripe: 47-49 inch vertical?? No way Jose

Hopefully Capel is already all over this kid, as he should Josh Richardson from Edmond Sante Fe. Would be nice to have more home-grown Oklahomans on our roster. I'm going to try and check him out here in the next week or so. I've heard the Trey Payne kid from PC is going to be the real deal too.

I saw Raney play twice as a sophomore. Can't say if he has improved since then, but I was impressed with what I saw. If he is as good as this article indicates, I would be disappointed to learn that OU is not already in on him.

I don't think he is a top 25 player in the 2011 class, and I also am not convinced he is OU calibar. I guess we will see.

I don't think he is a top 25 player in the 2011 class, and I also am not convinced he is OU calibar. I guess we will see.

I believe he is OU claiber. We need a cat quick combo guard like that in this program. I know we have TJ coming in, but this kid is quicker and will be a under-rated recruit! We don't need another great player in this state going to ORU and wasting his time, like Green did.

I've got a lot of respect for your opinions. But have to ask, have you seen this kid play?

He's better than atleast 4 scholarship athletes on OU's roster now. Always room for a solid guy like him. OSU has offered.

OSU has offered.

Good for OSU. Meanwhile, Capel is probably spending all his time courting some five-star guard from Atlanta who we're battling Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky for. And then of course Capel is hot on the trails of the three-star from Virginia (that Capel loved when he saw him in 8th grade when he was at VCU) and we're in a dogfight against VCU and George Mason to get that guy.

Good for OSU. Meanwhile, Capel is probably spending all his time courting some five-star guard from Atlanta who we're battling Duke, North Carolina and Kentucky for. And then of course Capel is hot on the trails of the three-star from Virginia (that Capel loved when he saw him in 8th grade when he was at VCU) and we're in a dogfight against VCU and George Mason to get that guy.

He won't go to OSU. Butch Pierre offered, but he refuse to commit. He likes it out East. He likes Syracuse and Georgetown. It's not like this guy is a small time recruit. He's a little undersized for the two guard, but in college basketball, we have 6'1 two guards all the time. He's more capable of playing the pg than TJ Taylor.

Sorry, but the kids we're going to beat out Duke for are going to come from OK, and maybe Texas.

Sorry, but the kids we're going to beat out Duke for are going to come from OK, and maybe Texas.

I agree and that was kind of the point of my post. He's wasting his time shooting for these stars around the country when very good players, who aren't looking to be one and done, are in his own backyard (Oklahoma and Texas).

I'd like to see us get some kids who want to play for Oklahoma and know they need to bust their ass on their game to get to the NBA, rather than kids who come in already being touted and thinking they're one and done or whatever.

Last edited:
I agree and that was kind of the point of my post. He's wasting his time shooting for these stars around the country when very good players, who aren't looking to be one and done, are in his own backyard (Oklahoma and Texas).

I'd like to see us get some kids who want to play for Oklahoma and know they need to best their ass on their game to get to the NBA, rather than kids who come in already being touted and thinking they're one and done or whatever.

Gotcha, I misunderstood your post above. I agree.

I'd like to see us get some kids who want to play for Oklahoma and know they need to best their ass on their game to get to the NBA, rather than kids who come in already being touted and thinking they're one and done or whatever.

I agree, Sooner23!

That doesn't mean that we can't continue to go after high-profile recruits anywhere our coaches find them. OU has won a few of those battles under Capel, and I couldn't be more pleased.

We have also lost out on some kids who would have been great additions to the program, because we waited too long on top 25 and top 50 recruits who chose to go elsewhere in the end. Schools like UNC, Duke and KU can afford to wait, because they usually have a back up plan and/or players who can step in to fill a void if they don't sign every recruit on their wish list.

That is not the case with OU, and as much as I hate to admit it, we are not even close to that level right now. This thing of scrambling to find recruits at the last minute who rarely see the floor has got to stop, or we will never reach the level of the elite.

Like you, I want kids who are proud to wear the C&C, and who are willing to bust their tails to see that OU wins, not only their share of the games in conference, but remains competitive on a national scale. I'll take a kid who works hard and puts his team first over someone who thinks too much of himself any ol' day. Enough already, of a lack of self-discipline that hurts the team! Enough, too, of holding onto a hope of signing high-profile recruits, while good players we could have signed end up competing against us and making us wish they were in an OU uniform.

He won't go to OSU. Butch Pierre offered, but he refuse to commit. He likes it out East. He likes Syracuse and Georgetown. It's not like this guy is a small time recruit. He's a little undersized for the two guard, but in college basketball, we have 6'1 two guards all the time. He's more capable of playing the pg than TJ Taylor.

I will eat my hat if he goes to either of those schools. There is a much better chance that he ends up at a school like Tulsa. This will be a big summer for Dom.

I would prefer you not eat your hat. I would prefer he was a Sooner. I like the kid alot and if you asked me who had more upside out of players that I have saw play like him, Page, CJ Henry, Poland, Josh Young, Chris Cook, and other similar prospects, I'd have to go Raney. What has really hurt him is that AF's talent level is down and the people who rank these guys aren't following AF as much.

He also plays with the OKC Magic, Vann's organization. Vann is extremely high on this kid. I wouldn't be suprised to see more High majors show interest. For all we know, they have. UNC signed a guy named Justin Watts who was not very highly recruited until the last semester of his HS career. Georgetown signed a guy named Vee Sanford who was an under the radar recruit. Roy Williams has made a living finding under radar recruit and turning them into good role players.

Last edited:
Back