Don't forget about Julian Washburn

Sooner23

Reaction score
Washburn could be a good to look to if we don't get Jones and the juco options don't pan out. He was at Duncanville, moved to New Jersey last summer and is now back at Duncanville and just started playing again.

This is a 6-7 athletic kid with a long wingspan who was in everyone's top 100 last summer (and some Top 50s). He claimed to have been offered by KU, OU, OSU, Arizona, Baylor, A&M, Memphis and Texas last summer per Rivals.

He would be a nice fit as an inside-out type four-man in Capel's system, and also provide depth behind Clark on the wing.

Here are some evaluations on his game.......

From Scout...

A natural combo forward who excels along either baseline, Washburn is a long and athletic player who is quite versatile. He’s started knocking down mid range jumpers with regularity, gets on the offensive glass and is an exciting open court finisher.

From Scout...

His Duncanville team won in a laugher so the minutes were limited for the 6-7 combo forward. He continues to show and interesting mix of inside/out ability and his quickness for a forward is a huge asset. Like many young players, he’s got to find a level of consistency but playing for a team with a roster filled with high major players (four of them already), the touches aren’t consistent either which makes things tough. He’s got good hands, gets on the glass some and delighted the crowd with a huge transition dunk where he nearly hit his head on the rim.

From ESPN......

Washburn uses his quickness and athleticism to get to the rim from the perimeter. When guarded by bigger, slower defenders, Washburn can use his quickness to draw the defender out from the basket and drive past him to the rim.

From Rivals........

Washburn, a 6-foot-7 forward from Duncanville High School, is a match-up problem because of his inside-out capabilities. Washburn is tough on the glass on both ends of the floor as a rebounder, and now becoming a growing threat as a perimeter scorer. He's made improvements every time we've seen him.

Forgot all about Washburn. I learned something I didn't know about him while searching for an update. He's the son of former North Carolina state star, Chris Washburn. That may not be news to some here, but I don't recall reading that before. I remember watching his father play at N.C. State several years ago. He was a heck of a player.

Julian also has a younger brother who (according to this article) has a lot of potential. If OU decides to bring in Julian, maybe we'll get his little bro in a couple of years.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/eo7I7ZWZEd6OEwAcxJTdpg/washburn-brothers-to-transfer-to-st-patrick.htm

Texas for national power in New Jersey.
August 30, 2009
By: Dave Krider
MaxPreps.com

The rich could get richer in the next week.

Julian Washburn

St. Patrick (Elizabeth, N.J.) already boasts two of the best high school basketball players in the country — Michael Gilchrist and Kyrie Irving — and has a shot at winning the national championship this year.

An anonymous source close to the situation told MaxPreps on Saturday that brothers Julian and Chris Washburn definitely “are going” to transfer from Duncanville, Texas, to St. Patrick, which starts school Wednesday.

Julian is a 6-foot-8 senior, while Chris is a 6-7 sophomore. They are the sons of former North Carolina State star Chris Washburn.

St. Patrick coach Kevin Boyle told MaxPreps that the boys, along with their mother, Michelle, visited the school recently and the boys took part for one day at his camp in the Pocono Mountains.

“They filled out paperwork,” Boyle noted, “but to be officially enrolled, they still have to send in tuition money.”

The veteran St. Patrick coach believes that Chris Washburn “has a lot of potential. He’s a wide body and has good patience around the rim. Julian is extremely athletic, can run and jump and has a good motor.”

The Celtics had a great summer, beating national powers All Ohio Red and Team Final back-to-back without two starters.

Ever notice that basketball stars kids usually aren't nearly as good as the parent.

But in football the genes seem to transfer right through. Would make an interesting sociological experiment.

Forgot all about Washburn. I learned something I didn't know about him while searching for an update. He's the son of former North Carolina state star, Chris Washburn. That may not be news to some here, but I don't recall reading that before. I remember watching his father play at N.C. State several years ago. He was a heck of a player.

Julian also has a younger brother who (according to this article) has a lot of potential. If OU decides to bring in Julian, maybe we'll get his little bro in a couple of years.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/eo7I7ZWZEd6OEwAcxJTdpg/washburn-brothers-to-transfer-to-st-patrick.htm

Texas for national power in New Jersey.
August 30, 2009
By: Dave Krider
MaxPreps.com

The rich could get richer in the next week.

Julian Washburn

St. Patrick (Elizabeth, N.J.) already boasts two of the best high school basketball players in the country — Michael Gilchrist and Kyrie Irving — and has a shot at winning the national championship this year.

An anonymous source close to the situation told MaxPreps on Saturday that brothers Julian and Chris Washburn definitely “are going” to transfer from Duncanville, Texas, to St. Patrick, which starts school Wednesday.

Julian is a 6-foot-8 senior, while Chris is a 6-7 sophomore. They are the sons of former North Carolina State star Chris Washburn.

St. Patrick coach Kevin Boyle told MaxPreps that the boys, along with their mother, Michelle, visited the school recently and the boys took part for one day at his camp in the Pocono Mountains.

“They filled out paperwork,” Boyle noted, “but to be officially enrolled, they still have to send in tuition money.”

The veteran St. Patrick coach believes that Chris Washburn “has a lot of potential. He’s a wide body and has good patience around the rim. Julian is extremely athletic, can run and jump and has a good motor.”

The Celtics had a great summer, beating national powers All Ohio Red and Team Final back-to-back without two starters.

Since then, both have came back to Duncanville. Julian had some good writeups for his defense on Harrison Barnes early in the summer at the real deal on the hill, but hasn't made much news since.

Ever notice that basketball stars kids usually aren't nearly as good as the parent.

But in football the genes seem to transfer right through. Would make an interesting sociological experiment.

Interesting point, boca. I've noticed that, too, but never really gave much thought to the reasons for it.'

DM, have you seen the Washburn brothers play? If so, what were your impressions?

Interesting point, boca. I've noticed that, too, but never really gave much thought to the reasons for it.'

DM, have you seen the Washburn brothers play? If so, what were your impressions?

never saw him play. I really suspect the fact that Duncanville has rounded up all that talent to play on their team the last few years, it has stunted his development as a player. Sometimes when you play on an "All-State" type roster, it can hurt you in improving. He's played with Roger Franklin, the wing guard that went to UT, the Dowell kid at OSU, and Perry Jones. To me it seems as if the family is trying to position him around other good players to get his profile up. This was a kid once ranked in the top 5 nationally by rivals.

Julian,was a key player for Ducanville a contributing factor in their "All-State" roster i think Julian mother,was doing what she thought was best for Julian at the time like any parent would given the oppurtunity.Julian is still a kid that can play basketball with the best of the best dont let his absence from the game fool you.Coach Mcdaee,needs to figure out how to use Julian in his current lineup.Coach forget about what the parents think are might say IF U WANT TO WIN PUT JULIAN IN.

Julian at the 4 and Cam at the 3 next year would be quite the young forward combo. Ultra athletic. Would be really nice.

Back