Downside to guards attacking offensive glass?

Mr.B!!!

Reaction score
Was thinkng back to the beginning of the season and one of the things that we all talked about was then need for "gang rebounding" on the offensive glass, particularly by the guards. As the season has gone on, I can't help but think that many of our issues in transition defense have come from our guards being too active trying to get rebounds on the offensive end.

I'm HARDLY an X's and O's guy, but to me I'd concede a little more on the ability of my guards to get those offensive rebounds and get back in transition defense. We are holding teams to an "okay" FG percentage overall, and that takes into account all of the transition baskets we seem to give up...seems like we might be better off just focusing on getting back after misses.

Seriously, looking to get educated here, am I completely off-base?

From my experience, as a guard, I usually had no problem crashing the offensive boards and having time to get back...that usually has to do with effort.

However, having all 5 guys crash isn't a good thing. Depending on the type of shot, we would only want 3-4 guys looking to grab a board, with the fifth back looking to stop the ball coming the other way. Also, our guards don't necessarily have to go to the block to look for a rebound, if they're standing at three point line, taking two-3 steps inside the arc would put them in good position. If someone like Pledger, TMG or Willie goes all the way to the paint/block area, they're not going to be able to compete with the big men for a rebound.

That's just my take on it anyway.

Was thinkng back to the beginning of the season and one of the things that we all talked about was then need for "gang rebounding" on the offensive glass, particularly by the guards. As the season has gone on, I can't help but think that many of our issues in transition defense have come from our guards being too active trying to get rebounds on the offensive end.

I'm HARDLY an X's and O's guy, but to me I'd concede a little more on the ability of my guards to get those offensive rebounds and get back in transition defense. We are holding teams to an "okay" FG percentage overall, and that takes into account all of the transition baskets we seem to give up...seems like we might be better off just focusing on getting back after misses.

Seriously, looking to get educated here, am I completely off-base?

Coaches actually make the call of crash or no crash on the offensive boards. Certain players get the green light to crash, while other are responsible for getting back. Generally you're pg has the responsibility to get back on defense first. I can tell you that Warren hasn't be on the offensive boards alot and I don't know if it's not his assignment or if he's not doing it. Also, another thing is we take alot of long shots which lead to alot of long rebounds. guards can't pass up on pursuing that.

Thanks for the responses guys; part of the game that I do not know about and now I do!

Back