Dumb

The Ball kid will always have a family safety net, but the other 2 kids may not. This is the prime age where a harsh lesson at this stage may make the difference between them having a wasted life or being decent members of society.

In Oklahoma these kids would be perfect candidates for RID (DOC boot camp) provided that the charges were felonies. After 6 months in RID they would get a 3-5 year deferred sentence which means NO felony on their record. I believe this is the turning point for recidivism. WHat happenes to them right now.

If they were OU players I'd be crushed and I wouldnt support prison, but I would support RID or something equally harsh and I'd also support them losing their bball scholarship with an understanding of coming back if they flew straight.

There is more to basketball than wins. These are kids lives at stake.

The dumbest part of all of this is taking college kids to countries that are no friend of the US and no friend to democracy in general. If you wouldn’t send them there outside of basketball you shouldn’t send them there at all. If the charges are all true the UCLA administration and coaches are even dumber but the Universities and NCAA needs to wake up to the dangers of trips like this anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They're going home. Seems like a crapton of community service in the states and a couple game suspension should suffice, assuming these kids were first offenders.

They're going home. Seems like a crapton of community service in the states and a couple game suspension should suffice, assuming these kids were first offenders.

I think it deserves more than suspension for just a couple of games.

Its shoplifting. Not acceptable but hopefully they learn a lesson. rich kids do it for the thrill and the adrenaline. No need for 3-10 years!

Couple games is all our players got? Football player got 1 game during the bcs bowl game a few years back.

I dont think they should go to prison either. Our own courts would slap them on the wrist if a charge was even filed.

But given the sheer ignorance of their move they should also not get off scot-free.

Crickets... of course

By crickets you mean someone smart enough not to start a political debate on a hoops board.

Imo these players should be suspended 5-8 games for the team. Legally a ton of community service and maybe some probation. University wise probation and be on thin ice.

If the story is true that they shoplifted in three stores it was definitely not an impulse thing.

The should get more than a two game suspension. They disgraced their country, thier university and their fellow teammates. Suspending them for a couple of games against a couple of pushover teams is meaningless.

I am alarmed by the lack of discipline that exists in our society today. Soft treatment in this case just adds to it. I do believe that some wrongdoers can be rehabilitated but I learned a long time ago that if you ignore bad behavior you are just going to get more bad behavior. These young men could have spent years in prison in a country like China.

As someone who has spent a considerable amount of time in China and Japan (and has many friends from China, Japan, South Korea, et), they take crimes, even petty crimes quite seriously in Asia. They are very lucky that they weren't disciplined more severely like a typical Chinese person would have been (it appears Trump helped them out). If they are suspended 2 games that is a joke.

As someone who has spent a considerable amount of time in China and Japan (and has many friends from China, Japan, South Korea, et), they take crimes, even petty crimes quite seriously in Asia. They are very lucky that they weren't disciplined more severely like a typical Chinese person would have been (it appears Trump helped them out). If they are suspended 2 games that is a joke.

exactly. they're very lucky that trump was coming to china and that they can use the incident to their advantage with their public for the state's gain. they get to look gracious while making the US look like punks. and that makes chinese leaders happy. if trump hadn't been happening by then I bet they end up in china for a few months minimally.

Back