Edmond native Ekpe Udoh

Probably closer to Carlton Dotson than either one of those two... too soon?

More like Patrick Dennehy than Dotson. Dennehy was the killee, Dotson the killer, yet Dennehy was a skilled 6'10 guy more like Udoh. Dotson was a guard, a shooting guard.... too soon?

You guys are so wrong. Thanks for making me feel guilty for laughing.

BTW, DFW, you are delusional.

Was he a Santa Fe guy? and what year did he graduate High School...

Ekpe will be the oldest looking dude in the Big 12 next year, so at least he will be at the top of some category.

Is he 40?
ekpe-udoh-hd_0.jpg

or 45?
47994.jpg

More like Patrick Dennehy than Dotson. Dennehy was the killee, Dotson the killer, yet Dennehy was a skilled 6'10 guy more like Udoh. Dotson was a guard, a shooting guard.... too soon?

That's tacky.

this is good bulletin board material- keep it up! You boys will get to experience the NIGHTMARE for your conference opener January 9th in Waco. We will see how Tiny does in his first conference game against a shut-down defender.

I'll save you all some time:

14 or 15 OU posters make a variety of clever references to the winning streak against Baylor basketball.

I respond:

The trend is your friend until the end of the trend.

Carry on...

this is good bulletin board material- keep it up! You boys will get to experience the NIGHTMARE for your conference opener January 9th in Waco. We will see how Tiny does in his first conference game against a shut-down defender.

14 or 15 OU posters make a variety of clever references to the winning streak against Baylor basketball.

I respond:

Carry on...

OU has a winning streak against Baylor????? Really?????

I respond:

Carry on...

I think I will drive up to Waco to see that game. I went last year. Baylor has a cool little gym and it was very easy to get tickets. Are you going to that game?

DFW, you're not serious about this stuff are you? I always thought you were being cheeky with all the Udoh talk (heck, with a lot of the Baylor talk) and have kind of gotten a kick out of how you get a rise out of people. Now I'm starting to feel a little sheepish...do you mean this stuff?

Have you ever seen Udoh play? He really is going to be a nice player for Baylor (assuming, of course, that Drew utilizes him properly) and for all the jibes you take around here, pretty much every OU fan I know was disappointed that he chose Baylor over OU. That said, he is a nice player but that is pretty much it...a nice player. He is active, athletic and long and he'll effect a lot of shots as a help defender. But thats about it. He isn't strong physically, isn't a great rebounder and doesn't have too much to offer offensively.

And as far as matching up with Tiny, well its really hard to project what either one of them will be doing by the time they meet in Waco, but I would like to point out a few things to you. First of all, if Tiny is playing the 5 then Drew almost certainly will prefer to play zone against OU because there is no way he wants his shot altering center dragged out of the paint by Tiny, so the odds of them being matched up are pretty slim. Secondly, the last thing an athletic shot blocker with below average strength wants to see is a 290 pounder. Shot blockers hate having to defend guys one on one, and doubly hate defending guys who can get into them. TMG and Willie would be the likely candidates to be bothered by a player like Udoh.

Anyway, as far as the Duncan/Garnett comparisons...wow. I don't see how that comparison could hold up even with the most positive outlook. Udoh is a poor man's Hasheem Thabeet (probably closer to a homeless man's Thabeet). Think something along the lines of Jabhari Brown. Nice player, definitely gonna have an impact, but Duncan or Garnett, I mean...wow.

I hope I've read you wrong and you have been kidding this whole time, but if not please allow me to refer you back to the above paragraphs. Read them and re-read them until their simple truth penetrates...

Udoh would definetely be good at a kANSAS OR ut or some program that would know how to use his strong points and work on his weak points. At baylor, he is just going to be the last line of defense for a team that plays terrible defense.

I respond:

Carry on...
Baylor has a basketball team? For real?

DenverSooner- I will be at that game in Waco as I will probably be at every Baylor home game. Be glad to meet you before the game. BigTime and I had talked about doing the same.

Elmocarp- I have seen Udoh practice a few times. He is very good and surprisingly so on the offensive end. Of course I am kidding about the Duncan/Garnett comparisons. I compared him a while back to Duncan in that he is patient and lets the game come to him. And about 20 posters jumped on that saying I was calling Udoh the next Duncan. In that video I linked to Udoh says some people say his game is like Garnett's.

Do I think Udoh will give Tiny Gallon fits? Yes. Do I think Baylor coaches understand how to use him? Yes. He is the first polished big man Drew has had. If he stays healthy, I would expect him to be first team all defense in the big 12 and surprise people with his offensive skills. We will see soon enough... The lights are about to come on.

Last edited:
DenverSooner- I will be at that game in Waco as I will probably be at every Baylor home game. Be glad to meet you before the game. BigTime and I had talked about doing the same.

Elmocarp- I have seen Udoh practice a few times. He is very good and surprisingly so on the offensive end. Of course I am kidding about the Duncan/Garnett comparisons. I compared him a while back to Duncan in that he is patient and let's the game come to him. And about 20 posters jumped on that saying I was calling Udoh the next Duncan. In that video I linked to Udoh says some people say his game is like Garnett's.

Do I think Udoh will give Tiny Gallon fits? Yes. Do I think Baylor coaches understand how to use him? Yes. He is the first polished big man Drew has had. If he stays healthy, I would expect him to be first team all defense in the big 12 and surprise people with his offensive skills. We will see soon enough... The lights are about to come on.

OK, so 6 pts and 5 rebs a game = polished? I've never seen or heard anything thing about him that would describe his game as polished. Be careful watching practice...things aren't always as they appear. The lights are going to be on soon...I hope you stick around once they do.

I'd of loved to have had him as I think that OU is good at developing big men. But based upon what I have seen/heard, he is comperable to Longar at this stage of his development...now if Drew can get him up to playing consistently at the level Longar played as a Junior, then you may be on to something.

I think Ekpe made a good decision to transfer- not just because he chose Baylor but I am thrilled he did. His skill set didn't fit well with John Beilein's offensive philosophy. Beilein's system prefers posts that can step out and hit the 3 (Pittsnogle) and are in constant motion. So Ekpe was going to get his points on offensive rebounds and back door cuts, not post entry passes. Ekpe like all college basketball players with his height and athleticism would like a shot to play in the NBA and that system was not going to develop his NBA skills.

Drew's system actually works very well for a skilled post (lots of pick and rolls and post entry passes although the lack of a good post has made that last part a minimal part of the offense in the last few years). Rogers made a great deal of his points on pick and rolls where he could use his athleticism to slash to the bucket. Rogers' weakness was that he did not prefer to post up in the box and when he did he did not give a strong base. Too many post ups with his legs close together which allowed for defensive deflections and turnovers.

Ekpe does a really good job of getting wide and giving a large target (similar to Gary Johnson at UT). This is important for a big man because it encourages the entry pass from the guard.

I think the Longar Longar comparison is valid. Ekpe is a better defender than Longar and stronger/more physical. Longar was a better 12-15 jump shooter. Ekpe is likely to get his points on 6-8 foot hooks and jumpers. But there are some similarities in their games.

Back