Energy

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
They had it, we didn't. From the opening tip. That's different from last year. Even in games like Arkansas, UT, and KU, we always showed energy despite being down or being outmatched. The only game that we didn't play with fire was Mizzou last year. This looked like the Mizzou game. I don't think the press was neccessarily tough. I thought the plan to involve Tiny was good and he handled the ball well. Maybe the press kept us from being uptempo and starting off with the energy that we needed to win that game.

That being said, there is a reason bcs schools don't play good mid majors on the road. We just saw it. Not really an upset.

Again, good points. There is a reason mid-majors do well in the NCAA tourney on neutral courts. There's a lot of talent out there and the mids with talent and experience are to be feared.

I agree that the trap wasn't that tough. So why didn't we attack it? In the first half we seemed too tentative, brought the ball up slowly, and made their trap work very well (even though it wasn't very aggressive.)

Last edited:
I agree... I really thought TMG and Willie would do a better job against the press though.. They are both very good ball-handlers and it surprised me to see them struggle.

Their press was pretty effective though, especially when they have Larry Sanders back there to defend the rim in case you do get past it.

I didnt see a lack of energy in that game....

I saw a team that came out like they could just show up and win...they made plays that you just dont make, trying to force their way into the paint, making passes where there were no lanes and settling on the 3 point shot rather than trying to create the 3 point shot...

Defensively it wasnt that they didnt have the effort, IMO they just dont know how to play defense yet...they dont trust each other...and once VCU started to get by them and had clear paths to the basket you could see the hesitation to get up on guys giving them open 3 point baskets...not only that but when guys would help there would be no help for that player...

Just general college basketball basics, which some can say these kids should have but i would disagree since we have so many freshmen playing important minutes...

But overall i felt like they played hard, just once they got down they started doubting each other and didnt play together...saw a lot of individuals out there last night...

I'm so glad Capel had this game on our schedule and we arent like a lot of teams that wont play a true road game until conference...this team needs it and will be better because of it...

I saw a team that came out like they could just show up and win...they made plays that you just dont make, trying to force their way into the paint, making passes where there were no lanes and settling on the 3 point shot rather than trying to create the 3 point shot...

Defensively it wasnt that they didnt have the effort, IMO they just dont know how to play defense yet...they dont trust each other...and once VCU started to get by them and had clear paths to the basket you could see the hesitation to get up on guys giving them open 3 point baskets...not only that but when guys would help there would be no help for that player...

Just general college basketball basics, which some can say these kids should have but i would disagree since we have so many freshmen playing important minutes...

But overall i felt like they played hard, just once they got down they started doubting each other and didnt play together...saw a lot of individuals out there last night...

I'm so glad Capel had this game on our schedule and we arent like a lot of teams that wont play a true road game until conference...this team needs it and will be better because of it...

Love this post.

Can't say enough how important it is to establish yourself defensively on the road from the get-go.

and once VCU started to get by them and had clear paths to the basket you could see the hesitation to get up on guys giving them open 3 point baskets...not only that but when guys would help there would be no help for that player...

No weakside help at all. The guards didn't rotate at all. Pledger got caught on the weakside just standing and so did Cade. I also think the dual roles cause Tony to be on his toes a bit.

Good points though. If us message board posters can Identify these thing, I'm sure the coaches have and are already implimenting things.

You're on a roll today, Edmond! Another great post!!! :clap

Our freshmen had performed so well in the first two games and the exhibition, it's easy to forget that they're still young and inexperienced, and this was their first road test in college.

I have no doubt they'll get better, but we all need to show a little patience until that time comes.

Great post. I agree with you 100%.

They had it, we didn't. From the opening tip. That's different from last year. Even in games like Arkansas, UT, and KU, we always showed energy despite being down or being outmatched. The only game that we didn't play with fire was Mizzou last year. This looked like the Mizzou game. I don't think the press was neccessarily tough. I thought the plan to involve Tiny was good and he handled the ball well. Maybe the press kept us from being uptempo and starting off with the energy that we needed to win that game.

That being said, there is a reason bcs schools don't play good mid majors on the road. We just saw it. Not really an upset.

I didn't see the game, but I assume VCU still plays like they did last year, which was a very similar style to what Mizzou does.

Someone else mentioned (and a few agreed with him) that it wasn't so much a lack of energy as it was overconfidence, confusion and/or inexperience.

Just a thought... and I'll try to say this without being the biggest homer on the board... but it may have something to do with the opponent's style of play. A lot of players, especially guards, will say they like playing an up tempo game, but players who can actually do it comfortably all game long are not that common. If you're not prepared for that kind of opponent and/or if you don't have players who are wired to play that way, it will often be a long night.

I didn't see the game, but I assume VCU still plays like they did last year, which was a very similar style to what Mizzou does.

Someone else mentioned (and a few agreed with him) that it wasn't so much a lack of energy as it was overconfidence, confusion and/or inexperience.

Just a thought... and I'll try to say this without being the biggest homer on the board... but it may have something to do with the opponent's style of play. A lot of players, especially guards, will say they like playing an up tempo game, but players who can actually do it comfortably all game long are not that common. If you're not prepared for that kind of opponent and/or if you don't have players who are wired to play that way, it will often be a long night.

I don't think the press hampered OU. I do think the press break hampered OU getting into an offensive rhythm. VCU jumped out off the bat hitting alot of big shots. That was the real issue.

Back