ESPN: Capel/Barnes story

hoopmaster

Reaction score
This may make some of you mad, but I think it shows the kind of guy Jeff Capel is.

Source: ESPN

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- The sage advice popped up on Harrison Barnes' phone, a simple quote in the form of a text message that both defined his predicament and offered a solution.

It came from the strangest of sources, akin to a Hatfield offering words of wisdom to a McCoy.

Jeff Capel, current Oklahoma basketball coach and former star at Duke, saw from across the country how the one-time friendly glare of the spotlight had turned nasty on Barnes.

Capel once was that kid, a North Carolina high school player of the year who went to the country's preeminent college program expected to star immediately.

His burden wasn't as heavy as Barnes', nor was his start quite as slow, but Capel, who as Sooners coach recruited Barnes, remembered it all well enough that he felt compelled to reach out.

Even if Barnes is a Tar Heel.

"To be a star you must follow your own path and shine your own light," Capel wrote to Barnes. "And NEVER EVER worry about darkness! THAT's when a star shines BRIGHTEST."

Armed with Capel's wisdom and his own self-assuredness, Barnes, who sits in the epicenter of the "What Is Wrong With Harrison Barnes?" maelstrom, seemed like the most sane and rational person amid the brouhaha.

His coach came out swinging Tuesday night in his defense, and around here, all anyone wants to talk about is what's ailing Barnes and the Heels.

But Barnes was relaxed and at ease when he sat down before North Carolina's practice Friday, a day before the Tar Heels host Kentucky.

Yes, he's frustrated that he's shooting just 34 percent from the floor. Of course he knows he needs to make more than eight of 25 3-pointers, and he's quite aware that the Tar Heels' 4-3 start isn't what anybody had in mind.

Barnes also isn't Chicken Little.

We win the first game and everyone's talking about a national championship, and then we lost and we're going back to the NIT or we aren't even good enough to make the NIT. The reality is, we've played seven games. We're 4-3. We have to get better.

-- North Carolina freshman Harrison Barnes

"In high school, we were never judged until we were 20-0 or in the state tournament," Barnes said. "In college, it's every game. We win the first game and everyone's talking about a national championship, and then we lost and we're going back to the NIT or we aren't even good enough to make the NIT. The reality is, we've played seven games. We're 4-3. We have to get better."

Of course, the other reality is, more was expected of Barnes. Fairly or unfairly, the top-rated player in high school lugs more than books in his backpack. The basketball world has changed, and Barnes is a byproduct of the new system. He reaps the benefits and suffers the consequences of the new world order, in which high school kids can make like LeBron and announce their decisions in televised shows.

He might not have asked to be tabbed a preseason All-American, the first freshman to earn such an honor, but then again, he also chose to announce his decision to attend North Carolina via Skype.

"It's really hard for the top four or five [high school players]," Roy Williams said. "The culture nowadays pays more attention to the decision than to their careers. I have close friends who don't want to talk to me about whether we should play man-to-man or zone; they want to talk to me about recruiting. It's hard for anybody to live up to that."

Barnes' struggles are all the more intensified because some of his classmates have, in fact, lived up to the hype, including one just a quick drive down the road. Kyrie Irving is tied with Nolan Smith as the leading scorer at Duke (16.9 points per game). Jared Sullinger is second in scoring at Ohio State but leads the Buckeyes in rebounding (14.5 points, 9.3 rebounds), and Terrence Jones and Brandon Knight are carrying the load at Kentucky (20.7 points and 17.3, respectively).

If they can do it, why can't Barnes? It's not an entirely fair question. Irving is surrounded by a veteran team coming off a national championship; Sullinger has three upperclassmen to help.

Only Jones and Knight are in a remotely similar situation, but even they don't have all the pressure Barnes has.

Kentucky went to the Elite Eight last season, North Carolina to the NIT. The Wildcats won 35 games overall and 14 in their league; the Tar Heels just 20 and five.

Barnes isn't just expected to live up to the lofty demands borne out of an exemplary high school career; he's supposed to resurrect North Carolina in the process.

"It comes with the territory of being the top player in high school," Barnes said. "Am I hurt by it? Or sad? No, not at all. You have to keep going. If we win, everyone will be happy, and if we lose, all the attention will come back on me, but I accept that."

There are certainly ways Barnes can get better, and the cerebral player is well aware of them. He has relied far too heavily on his jump shot, which isn't falling, and agrees he needs to find other ways to score -- getting to the free throw line, buckets in transition, putbacks, whatever chippy plays he can execute to accumulate points.

If his confidence has been dented, it doesn't show. He admits that this is his first introduction to adversity on the court. He's never struggled before as a player (he scored 1,787 points in high school in Iowa, breaking Fred Hoiberg's record) or as part of a team (Ames High School won 53 consecutive games and two state titles with him).

But he's philosophical about it all.

"Life isn't easy," he said simply.

That thoughtfulness -- he is careful and particular in his speech, thinking before answering and always searching for the right word -- will serve him well as he weathers the ups and downs that are inevitable in a college career.

In basketball, though, Barnes' precision might be his worst enemy.

He is, by nature, a thinker. He's watched game film and studied himself over and over. If someone has another suggestion, he'll take it.

While that all sounds well and good, most players will tell you that when the game slows down, when they don't have to think and can just do, that's when they soar.

"He might overanalyze things a bit too much," Williams said. "But that's OK. At least it shows he cares. Harrison's way is to think. Tyler Hansbrough's way was to beat people up. I don't think we should judge the body of work until the work is complete."

That's a long way away. Williams insists that this team can and will get better as the season progresses (the unsaid inference being that last season's version sort of was what it was).

That includes Barnes.

As Capel's text explained, before a star can shine, it first has to be dark.

He should have landed the kid if you're willing to give him all the advice. I like Capel and don't want him to hit the road after the year, but the one thing that has always bothered me is the fact that all these high profile recruits that he pursued all loved him, but he couldn't sign one.

It seems to me like Capel needs to be focusing his time on the players he did sign and forget the ones he didn't. One would think the time he's spending paying attention to the circumstances surrounding a player he did not sign could be better used preparing for Arkansas or Arizona or whoever our next game was when he decided to send that text.

I've had overtures from other companies to go to work for them and once I move on I don't consume my life with what those other companies are doing or how they are performing.

I'm sure the 30 seconds spent composing that text message would've meant the difference in winning and losing at Arkansas. I've been critical of Capel this season, but let's not take it too far.

I'm sure the 30 seconds spent composing that text message would've meant the difference in winning and losing at Arkansas. I've been critical of Capel this season, but let's not take it too far.

I'm with you here...Capel invested a lot of time working with this kid and i'm sure knows a lot of kids he has been involved with during recruiting...

Plus he is no different than any of us, i'm sure he loves basketball and pays attention to everything going around with a lot of his guys he recruited...

This isnt the first text he's ever sent to a former recruit i'm sure, and really doubt he is the only coach that has ever done it...

I think it shows the type of character we have in a coach here at OU...i may not think he is doing a super job but i'm not gonna tear him down as a person...he is a super classy guy...

You never know when a story like that will pay dividends in the future.

It seems to me like Capel needs to be focusing his time on the players he did sign and forget the ones he didn't. One would think the time he's spending paying attention to the circumstances surrounding a player he did not sign could be better used preparing for Arkansas or Arizona or whoever our next game was when he decided to send that text.

I've had overtures from other companies to go to work for them and once I move on I don't consume my life with what those other companies are doing or how they are performing.

Not a big deal...had a coach who recruited me stay in touch even after I didn't choose their school. Doubt his contact effected their performance at all (actually I know, they made it to two straight conference championship games), nothing wrong with having a personal relationship with someone.

Agreed though, that if Capel has such a great pedigree as a person with these guys, it is alarming he can't land them.

Capel's coaching skills may be debatable. The way he represents OU is not.

I've said from the moment Jeff arrived on campus that we could not ask for a classier person to be our head coach, and I still feel that way. I might criticize him for some of his coaching decisions. But I'll never find fault because he reached out to a kid like Barnes. Anyone who does is hard up for an ax to grind.

Capel's coaching skills may be debatable. The way he represents OU is not.

I've said from the moment Jeff arrived on campus that we could not ask for a classier person to be our head coach, and I still feel that way. I might criticize him for some of his coaching decisions. But I'll never find fault because he reached out to a kid like Barnes. Anyone who does is hard up for an ax to grind.

I didn't and don't find any fault with it just seems like when the team you coach is 8 and 20 in the last 28 games then maybe you have something else that should occupy your time. I'm sure the text only took 20 seconds to type but how long has he spent tracking a players progress that did or does not sign with us. Maybe the amount of time he's spending tracking Barnes would be better served coaching up Thompson, Newell, Blair or a number of other players on HIS team.

I agree Capel is classy but that doesn win games. Sadly winning games is the bottom line in d-1 athletics.

I didn't and don't find any fault with it just seems like when the team you coach is 8 and 20 in the last 28 games then maybe you have something else that should occupy your time. I'm sure the text only took 20 seconds to type but how long has he spent tracking a players progress that did or does not sign with us. Maybe the amount of time he's spending tracking Barnes would be better served coaching up Thompson, Newell, Blair or a number of other players on HIS team.

I agree Capel is classy but that doesn win games. Sadly winning games is the bottom line in d-1 athletics.

There are restrictions on player time.

I really doubt he took more than 10 minutes to figure out Barnes has been struggling. Its been a common topic on twitter among college basketball writers or he could've saw it on ESPN.com or a mulitude of other college basketball related websites.

Its not like he has a big board that tracks all his former recruits so he can send them reassuring text messages when they struggle (at least I hope not).

You're reaching here to go after Capel. Its not like there a multitude of other things Capel can be called out on right now (sarcasm). Its seems like at this point you just want to kick a guy who is already down with this argument.

I really doubt he took more than 10 minutes to figure out Barnes has been struggling. Its been a common topic on twitter among college basketball writers or he could've saw it on ESPN.com or a mulitude of other college basketball related websites.

Its not like he has a big board that tracks all his former recruits so he can send them reassuring text messages when they struggle (at least I hope not).

You're reaching here to go after Capel. Its not like there a multitude of other things Capel can be called out on right now (sarcasm). Its seems like at this point you just want to kick a guy who is already down with this argument.

Again, not calling him out, merely pointing out his team needs every minute of coaching allowed by the NCAA.

I understand the NCAA has restrictions but they don't restrict the amount of time a coach can spend preparing for practice, watching film, etc.

My next question is how many other near misses is he contacting to encourage? We know about Barnes but for all we know he's contacting Poland, and every other recruiting near miss. I just don't think he gets the urgency of the situation he has created. Then again maybe he's hoping to land an asst job at UNC next year.

What do you want him to do, lock himself in his coaches office and only sleep 4 hours a night as he tries to figure out the best way to utilize Calvin Newell as a 2? If we could use a lineup off Honore, Washington and Thompson while getting away with it?

Spend every waking hour reading about the game and how to coach college basketball?

I understand this situation sucks for multiple reasons and Capel is behind a lot if not all of these reasons. As much as I am upset with Capel for creating this mess I am not going to want to take away from his personal life. There is only so much he can do and time he can spend on this team.

I really think you are letting Capel's fault as a coach cloud your judgment on the rest of him and what he should be doing with his free time.

My next question is how many other near misses is he contacting to encourage? We know about Barnes but for all we know he's contacting Poland, and every other recruiting near miss. I just don't think he gets the urgency of the situation he has created. Then again maybe he's hoping to land an asst job at UNC next year.

Unless Joe C. has told him he will be retained "No matter what" then I assure you he is VERY aware of his situation. No coach in his postition would not be. I would imagine if we continue to go down the toliet and he can't stop it the he would be hard pressed to get a job anywhere near the quality he has now. That is not something a man with young children will not be aware of no matter what he has been paid to date.

Just think if Capel landed Barnes. It would be all Capel's fault that Barnes is struggling!

It was well documented during his recruitment (over a year) that the only reason Barnes even considered OU was his personal relationship with Capel. I seriously doubt Capel is conversing with a middle of the road JUCO shooting guard he only actively recruited for a month or so.

He should be writing Hallmark cards not coaching OU basketball

Back