Fact is that Capel isn't recruiting great basketball players

NickZepp

Reaction score
Don't quote me recruiting rankings services because those are bs.

Right now we have guys sitting on the bench that never play meaningful minutes that are on scholarship. Not one two or three guys but 4 scholarships.

Fitzgerald, Hardrick, Willis, Allen all are bench guys that's out of 15 players 4 of which are walk ons. I can understand this type of thing of you are just coming in and with players you don't even know about. That's basically why Nate Carter was on the bench of half a season before starting and scoring about 17 a game in conference play.

It is one thing to have 4 walk ons that don't play at all. But it almost seems like Gerber will get more meaningful minutes than any of the other guys we have. Out of the 15 guys we have 8 don't really play at all. This is nobody's fault except Capel. He obviously has recruited guys that can't play at this level.

I agree. I will say that we are a better team with pattillo around, but I'm not sure how much better. I don't know how much blame capel should get for pattillo not cutting it and having to be run off. I do see a lot of you crying for jucos to solve our problems, but you need to look no further than Juan pattillo to see an example of a juco burning you in a very bad way.

I agree. I will say that we are a better team with pattillo around, but I'm not sure how much better. I don't know how much blame capel should get for pattillo not cutting it and having to be run off. I do see a lot of you crying for jucos to solve our problems, but you need to look no further than Juan pattillo to see an example of a juco burning you in a very bad way.

Orlando Allen is a JUCO and he's a bench guy. Fact is you can't have 8 of your 15 on the roster not play. Even if they aren't good enough you have to play some of those guys.

I don't know about that. I've seen us have several teams in the past that only went about 7 deep and we still had success. Someof kelvins teams had some depth issues but we were always able to do enough on the defensive end to offset it.

Those "connections" are really starting to pay off.

Orlando Allen is a JUCO and he's a bench guy. Fact is you can't have 8 of your 15 on the roster not play. Even if they aren't good enough you have to play some of those guys.

Most teams only play 7-8 guys. I doubt Capels sitting players that could help. UTEP is a good team. Big 12 good. They'll beat a lot of teams.

Capel didn't go from brilliant recruiter to idiot overnight! Everyone wanted Willie, Tiny, Pledge, and don't forget a guy named Blake! He's got another good recruiting class next year. The talent on this team is not the issue. It's all about effort and chemistry. We lack both right now. (and yes, that does have something to do with coaching)

Most teams only play 7-8 guys. I doubt Capels sitting players that could help. UTEP is a good team. Big 12 good. They'll beat a lot of teams.
Those teams have consistency from their guys. Usually with teams that aren't doing things right you see a lot of substitution and a lot of different guys playing because the guys on the court don't cut it. We have a lot of guys on this roster that aren't even good enough to sub in for guys that aren't cutting it.

I don't think Capel ran Patillo off, I think Juan not going to class ran Juan off. I think you'll see Willis transfer after this year, as it is evident he is not going to be playing for Capel any time soon. I just don't understand about playing this 4 guard line-up when we have size on the bench. Their D can't really be any worse than what we have seen for most of the season. I would also prefer to have some size to clog the middle up and why not foul some other bigs and make them earn 2 pts. instead of just giving them tip-ins and lay-ups?

I don't think Capel ran Patillo off, I think Juan not going to class ran Juan off. I think you'll see Willis transfer after this year, as it is evident he is not going to be playing for Capel any time soon. I just don't understand about playing this 4 guard line-up when we have size on the bench. Their D can't really be any worse than what we have seen for most of the season. I would also prefer to have some size to clog the middle up and why not foul some other bigs and make them earn 2 pts. instead of just giving them tip-ins and lay-ups?

From reports on this board, Juan was about to flunk out. Juan would really help.

Solid recruiter, if not the best in the nation...

just like any other school though, you miss on some...

I just wish the team would have been better prepared for this season inside...although i think Capel thought Wright would be better than he is...

Solid recruiter, if not the best in the nation...

just like any other school though, you miss on some...

I just wish the team would have been better prepared for this season inside...although i think Capel thought Wright would be better than he is...

Wright should be better than he is. He should have balanced his time in the weight room with time on the court. Wright should be doing things we need like blocking shots and rebounding at a high level on the offensive and defensive side.

Juan definitely ran himself off which is unfortunate as he would be an excellent addition to this team.

You have got to be kidding me.. Capel is a he'll of a recruiter sometimes u have to swing on a few capel did not recruit hardrick.. I hope he and willIs transfer and Allen also somewhere he can play.. And get some extra schollies to try some jucos like ratcliffe and the 7'3 guy from Idaho along with the good high school guys capel will get.. No one would ever recover 100% from losing Blake

I just don't understand about playing this 4 guard line-up when we have size on the bench. Their D can't really be any worse than what we have seen for most of the season.

Last night was brutal on the defensive side. Even if Orlando is junk out there atleast he can use his body on defense to possibly help get a few more rebounds. Soooo many times our guys were out of position and the stats/score proved it.

Last edited:
I just don't understand about playing this 4 guard line-up when we have size on the bench. Their D can't really be any worse than what we have seen for most of the season.

It wouldn't improve the defense, and it would hurt the offense. At least right now we are putting 5 guys on the court that can score it. If you start playing Wright and Allen more, you take that away, and allow the other team to double off of those guys, or at least help off of them. If there was any way we would be better with those guys, I'm sure they'd be playing more.

It wouldn't improve the defense, and it would hurt the offense. At least right now we are putting 5 guys on the court that can score it. If you start playing Wright and Allen more, you take that away, and allow the other team to double off of those guys, or at least help off of them. If there was any way we would be better with those guys, I'm sure they'd be playing more.

I don't even care if we play Beau Gerber, I just don't understand staying with the same line-ups that aren't really working.

I don't even care if we play Beau Gerber, I just don't understand staying with the same line-ups that aren't really working.

Not trying to be rude NZ, but you wouldnt understand...and neither would i...

From where we sit it is easy to say what we would do having no experience coaching (at that level) and just looking at these players and their inability to play together...

I look at this roster and there are some very solid players, but together as a unit that just havent fit...that isnt a recruiting thing or a coach thing totally(although some has to be on his shoulders)

he knows who is capable of getting the job done and has moved people around to get a spark...i'd call the 4 guard lineup a pretty big adjustment...

Capel sees this team everyday and knows who gives him the best chance to win, no one else that has gotten minutes has shown me anything to think they should be getting any more playing time...and i'm sure Capel feels simliar due to their lack of playing time...one thing Capel has on any of us is a much larger body of work (Practice)...

I almost think this team came into the season like they deserved to be a Final Four team, and didnt think they had to work on it...then after the Alaska trip they came out a new team...then a couple of wins over "big" programs and we are back at square one...

This is gonna be one interesting season...

Back