Final 4 coming for OU

bocabull

Banned
Reaction score
This is eerily similar to the mid 80s for OU basketball. OU loses their best player of alltime to the NBA and instead of taking a step back they take a step forward.

Capel might just have the horses to win that title game this time. What do you think? Next year?

This year may be a little rough. It's too early to say this is a final four team. We have a tough schedule this year. There's even some tricky games like Houston and Louisiana Monroe coming up. And we rely on a lot of freshmen which may lead to some big downs also. I'm not trying to be a debby downer or anything. These freshmen are really talented. But when you have 9 players that are sophomores or younger there's going to be some down games. Especially with a tough schedule and in a pretty good conference.

Capel might just have the horses to win that title game this time. What do you think? Next year?

I'd say year after next could be the big one. The freshmen will be juniors, Clark and hopefully Jones or Lamb would be sophs.
That will be a very special team.

I'd say year after next could be the big one. The freshmen will be juniors, Clark and hopefully Jones or Lamb would be sophs.
That will be a very special team.

I don't know if Tiny is still here by that time.

Yep, the key is keeping your talented players long enough to mature into a great team. Otherwise you can continually be "on the cusp" like OU was last year. UNC and KU of the last two years are great examples of what happens when you are lucky enough to keep your best players for at least 2-3 years. I honestly think Tiny could play until his JR year at OU but you never know.

I think he will. I just don't think his game translates into the NBA as much as say Blake to allow him to leave after 1 or 2 years to the NBA. I think he'd go higher in the draft staying 3-4. At least I hope that is how it goes down.

This is eerily similar to the mid 80s for OU basketball. OU loses their best player of alltime to the NBA and instead of taking a step back they take a step forward.

He's got to get a bigtime player. He's got to get Jones. If he does that, he'll have all the pieces.

When Tubbs first got here and when Kelvin first got here for that matter. There was a big difference between their top players and the rest of the team. But when both got going there really wasn't a big difference between the 6 to 8 guys that really played. But I don't think either one had 4 freshmen at the level we have right now. They may have had 2 or 3 at one time that were really good but not 4 really good ones.

He's got to get a bigtime player. He's got to get Jones. If he does that, he'll have all the pieces.

I agree to some extent, but would say they have big time players now in Warren, Gallon, and TMG; instead, I think they're another good recruiting class away from being a serious Final Four contender. If Coach Capel can sign just 1 of the big 3 remaining in Jones, McCallum, or Lamb, this group for 2010 will be a top 10 class and would give the Sooners a ton of talent to compete for an NCAA title.

I agree to some extent, but would say they have big time players now in Warren, Gallon, and TMG; instead, I think they're another good recruiting class away from being a serious Final Four contender. If Coach Capel can sign just 1 of the big 3 remaining in Jones, McCallum, or Lamb, this group for 2010 will be a top 10 class and would give the Sooners a ton of talent to compete for an NCAA title.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Big time player? What do you call Tiny, TMG & Tiny? They are all ranked similarly to Jones. Then guys like Fitz & Pledger who are good players. Fitz and Pledger are the new "role players" under Capel. In the past guys like Fitz and Pledger would need to be a top 3 option. Capel is doing a fantastic job. The four frosh and Clark will be a fantastic lineup next year.

When Fitz, Pledger and TMG are SRs there will be a great chance at a title run, assuming Capel continues to recruit at the same level he has been.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Big time player? What do you call Tiny, TMG & Tiny? They are all ranked similarly to Jones. Then guys like Fitz & Pledger who are good players. Fitz and Pledger are the new "role players" under Capel. In the past guys like Fitz and Pledger would need to be a top 3 option. Capel is doing a fantastic job. The four frosh and Clark will be a fantastic lineup next year.

Pledger is no role player, role players are guys like C.Davis, Pledger is big time Fitz too.

Pledger is no role player, role players are guys like C.Davis, Pledger is big time Fitz too.

Role players on top 10 teams are big time players. That's why they are top teams. Marvin Williams was a role player for UNC his freshmen year and then went lotto 3 months later. Brandon Jennings was a role player on his Europe team last year...then he went lottery and scored 55 points last night in his sixth NBA game.
That's my point......now the secondary guys at OU are what use to be the stars. The recruiting job that Capel is doing is unbelievable.

Back