Final Thoughts on This Team and Look Ahead

I'd argue the #1 thing that hurt them is guard talent.

No offense, but Odomes has no business being a starter in the Big 12. He just doesn't have the offense. Outside of James (who was 4 of 13 from the floor), our other 4 guards scored a grand total of 14 points. Our two starting guards scored 9.

I know UVA is a really good defensive team, but that was the story of season. Our guards, when you compare them to other top 25-ish type teams, are so far behind in offensive talent (and I'll add coaching in there), that it's not even funny. How can Houston have 3-4 guard that our better than all but maybe 1 of ours? Guards win basketball games, and we better improve there in a hurry if we want to compete in the Big 12. Gone are the days of having a good offense with a guy like Odomes on the floor. It's just too tough. Gotta have guys that can score it in a variety of ways. Guys that are quick. Quickness plays.

I think that's a fair assessment. I'd take more quickness and/or more shooting. Odomes only shot 16 3s all season (not that I wanted him to shoot more). James was just a clip below 35% (and a huge % of his makes came early in the season). Reynolds was about 20% and only made 1 three point basket after conference play started. Calixte was only 33% and took some really ill-advised shots. Bieniemy was their best shooter from a percentage standpoint (40.3%), but he only took 67 threes all season.

OU's inability to consistently space the floor and threaten teams with consistent 3 point shooting was a major problem.

I'd argue the #1 thing that hurt them is guard talent.

No offense, but Odomes has no business being a starter in the Big 12. He just doesn't have the offense. Outside of James (who was 4 of 13 from the floor), our other 4 guards scored a grand total of 14 points. Our two starting guards scored 9.

I know UVA is a really good defensive team, but that was the story of season. Our guards, when you compare them to other top 25-ish type teams, are so far behind in offensive talent (and I'll add coaching in there), that it's not even funny. How can Houston have 3-4 guard that our better than all but maybe 1 of ours? Guards win basketball games, and we better improve there in a hurry if we want to compete in the Big 12. Gone are the days of having a good offense with a guy like Odomes on the floor. It's just too tough. Gotta have guys that can score it in a variety of ways. Guys that are quick. Quickness plays.

Agreed nobody could just get to his spot whenever he wanted, all the really good teams have at least one player that can.

My final thought is this..... I saw a Miles Reynolds clip after the Virginia loss....dude was crying his eyes out. I was rough on him this year and then you see the human element to it.. props to him for his heart.

I hope all these guys go on and do well

My final thought is this..... I saw a Miles Reynolds clip after the Virginia loss....dude was crying his eyes out. I was rough on him this year and then you see the human element to it.. props to him for his heart.

I hope all these guys go on and do well

Well said. This year's team cared, and they played hard. No, they weren't always the most physical team, and there are two or three games I'm sure they'd like to have back, but this wasn't a team that mailed it in. I guess that's why I sometimes get overly annoyed when I read comments acting like some just weren't invested.

I think JB will benefit enormously from not having to run the point, when he did shoot much he was sometimes good but having to handle the ball so much was an issue. They need to try to coach out of him his tendency to extend his non dribbling arm and push away the defender that will get some calls against him.
Looking forward to next year for sure.
And props to the seniors, never quite got where we hoped they would but great kids every one

I think JB will benefit enormously from not having to run the point, when he did shoot much he was sometimes good but having to handle the ball so much was an issue. They need to try to coach out of him his tendency to extend his non dribbling arm and push away the defender that will get some calls against him.
Looking forward to next year for sure.
And props to the seniors, never quite got where we hoped they would but great kids every one

Bieniemy will be our starting PG next year.

Bienemy will be our starting PG next year.

Why? Harmon is a 4* recruit, the #4 pg in the nation.

JB was a 3* that was often referred to as a combo-guard, or even a shooting guard.

Why? Harmon is a 4* recruit, the #4 pg in the nation.

JB was a 3* that was often referred to as a combo-guard, or even a shooting guard.

I think using recruiting rankings is kind of a lazy analysis to be honest. At some point production is what matters.

Bieniemy played outstanding as a true freshman this year at the PG spot. He showed poise, control, understanding & leadership. He was amazing at finding the open man and running our offense. Very few turnovers even when put under pressure. The only thing I think he needs a decent amount of improvement on is aggression in looking for his own shot.

Harmon is a great player, and he is gonna find the starting lineup. I just think he's more of a scoring guard that has great ball handling skills. He absolutely could be our PG, but I think to maximize our lineup he needs to play off the ball next season. Harmon only averaged 5 assists per game this season, and you need to keep in mind he has a high DI player on his team who should have boosted those numbers.

You also have to take in to account the offense we usually run, which involves a lot of weaving and ball movement. We have a guy bring the ball up (Bieniemy), and then when we get in to our offense the ball usually touches quite a few hands.

Sure doesn't sound like that's the plan. Crazier things have happened, though.

Source?

Bieniemy started the majority of the season as our PG. I don't see why that would change.

I think it will look a whole lot like when Cousins was our PG and when Woodard was our SG.

I'll also say I very well could be wrong. I think both Bieniemy & Harmon are special talents and this is the best way they could work together.

I'm willing to plant my flag on this opinion until I'm proven otherwise next season.

Source?

Bieniemy started the majority of the season as our PG. I don't see why that would change.

I think it will look a whole lot like when Cousins was our PG and when Woodard was our SG.

except that Harmon is a pure PG that has been great on the team USA level in that role ..

i will be shocked if he is not the PG next season

Source?

actually that might be a great example .... the year before Woodard was the PG so why would that change??

because cousins was a better PG

Source?

Some people that have talked to his family. JB is preparing for a different role next year. Doesn't mean he won't end back up as our PG. It just doesn't seem to be the plan.

except that Harmon is a pure PG that has been great on the team USA level in that role ..

i will be shocked if he is not the PG next season

Agreed. Bieniemy will be a wing who should back up Harmon. It'll be great having 2 legit ball handlers on the court at the same time. It shoulkd allow us to play a little faster & get more transition buckets.

Source?

Harmon is more a distributor than a shooter.

actually that might be a great example .... the year before Woodard was the PG so why would that change??

because cousins was a better PG

I can't agree here Boulder. Cousins was not a better pg than Woodard.
Cousins was better for the job at OU that season for a couple of reasons:

1) OU ran very few sets

2) Cousins played at a faster pace

3) The staff struggled the year before with the ball touching Buddy on a second side if it started on Cousins wing--Having Cousins starting the offense actually improved offensive flow because Woodard was a far superior passer.

4) OU did not ask the PG to orchestrate offense--rather to facilitate pace. Which benefited with Cousins skills.

In any other system--Woodard was by far the better "pg." However, if you were not talking skill set, and just talking about that particular job for that team, then I can understand.

I can't agree here Boulder. Cousins was not a better pg than Woodard.
Cousins was better for the job at OU that season for a couple of reasons:

1) OU ran very few sets

2) Cousins played at a faster pace

3) The staff struggled the year before with the ball touching Buddy on a second side if it started on Cousins wing--Having Cousins starting the offense actually improved offensive flow because Woodard was a far superior passer.

4) OU did not ask the PG to orchestrate offense--rather to facilitate pace. Which benefited with Cousins skills.

In any other system--Woodard was by far the better "pg." However, if you were not talking skill set, and just talking about that particular job for that team, then I can understand.

i was massively skeptical of lon when he made that change and it took about 6-10 games .. but after that it wasn't really close cousins was a much better PG ..

and he is now playing PG in the Gleague and is close to making an NBA roster

Back