For those of you who follow recruiting...

I like Cam's game, what I've seen of it. Would I rank him any higher than he is, thats tuff cuz I haven't watched but a few guys outside of who we are recruiting. I would like him to be a top 20 guy and an All American, it would be a reward for all the hard work he has put in. But he will be the same player regardless.

I think the ranking systems are a little overrated, so much of it is based on opinion. I would think that the top 50 or so are all, except a few super stud standouts, on the same level. Almost to close to call.
I said it before i will say it again this kid is one of the greatest he is a entertainer i seen him play before the summer season with his highschool team this kid carried his team on his back.I agree the ranking system is way overrated the fans should have a say so in the rankings some kind of way.Cam,will prove the decision makers wrong if they dont pick him plus it would be good to see a kid from asmall town get that honor that he deserve.

I said it before i will say it again this kid is one of the greatest he is a entertainer i seen him play before the summer season with his highschool team this kid carried his team on his back.I agree the ranking system is way overrated the fans should have a say so in the rankings some kind of way.Cam,will prove the decision makers wrong if they dont pick him plus it would be good to see a kid from asmall town get that honor that he deserve.

Greatest as in greatest in Sherman? Texas? Ever to come out of high school?

Just trying to set my expectations accordingly...thanks.

I seem to remember hearing a lot about Steph Curry, Eric Maynor, Patty Mills, and several others not playing in BCS conferences last year.

You heard about Eric Maynor as much as Sherron Collins?
You heard about Patty Mills as much as Ty Lawson?
Not me. But they were pretty dang near as good as players.

A lot of college basketball fans have never seen Maynor or Patty Mills play a single game. The same can't be said for Collins & Lawson.

Greatest as in greatest in Sherman? Texas? Ever to come out of high school?

Just trying to set my expectations accordingly...thanks.
He is the greatest to come out of grayson county i was told,the head coach from marquette,is from grayson area and he said he was the greatest he seen.I think he is one of the future great ones and i stand by that,if cam and tj taylor, would have played highschool ball together i think you would have heard more of them nationally i really like them two guys i seen the video and they look like great guys i like the way they compliment oneanother.We are very lucky to get them guys in soonerland.

He is the greatest to come out of grayson county i was told,the head coach from marquette,is from grayson area and he said he was the greatest he seen.I think he is one of the future great ones and i stand by that,if cam and tj taylor, would have played highschool ball together i think you would have heard more of them nationally i really like them two guys i seen the video and they look like great guys i like the way they compliment oneanother.We are very lucky to get them guys in soonerland.

I hope he means more than Grayson County. I hope he means DFW to the Oklahoma border. The best someone has ever seen out of DFW is a much, much bigger statement.

You heard about Eric Maynor as much as Sherron Collins?
You heard about Patty Mills as much as Ty Lawson?
Not me. But they were pretty dang near as good as players.

A lot of college basketball fans have never seen Maynor or Patty Mills play a single game. The same can't be said for Collins & Lawson.

Since your talking Lawson and Maynor, did you guys see Lawson smoke Maynor's butt in their game last night. Maynor got posterized and was instantly took out of the game. Maynor looked slow trying to guard Ty. Lawson is my sleeper for the ROY..

chico, what do you see as Cam's greatest strengths? Is he a slasher/scorer who gets most of his points inside and on drives, or does he have an outside game to go with the impressive athleticism I've seen on video? Do you think he will play the two in college or will he be a three? Does he defend one or both of those positions well. Does he have any major weaknesses? If so, what will he need to work on this year to prepare him for the college game?

Sorry for the lengthy list of questions, but I'm sure OU fans are anxious to read what you have to say. I know I am.

By the way, welcome to OUHoops!!! We will look forward to your reports this season and any updates on Cam you can provide. I'm glad you're here!

I hope he means more than Grayson County. I hope he means DFW to the Oklahoma border. The best someone has ever seen out of DFW is a much, much bigger statement.
The kid was not ranked #1 for nothing in the state of Texas,and this is without a supporting cast of teammates not knocking Perry jones at all but he had washburn, willams,Franklin 3d1 prospects who did cam clark, have?Let me think oh cam clark so yes we can count DFW and Oklahoma in that statement.

The kid was not ranked #1 in the state of Texas, for nothing in my opinion he is one of the greatest from Sherman,to DFW,to Oklahoma and trust me iseen alot of these kids play this summer,nothing against Perry Jones,but he had a supporting cast around him at Duncinville, he had Washburn, Franklin, and Willams 3d1 prospects who do Cameron Clark have?let me think oh Cam clark, this kid and TJ Taylor,been packing their teams on their back for the past 4yrs so in my opinion that makes him one of the great ones.

The kid was not ranked #1 in the state of Texas, for nothing in my opinion he is one of the greatest from Sherman,to DFW,to Oklahoma and trust me iseen alot of these kids play this summer,nothing against Perry Jones,but he had a supporting cast around him at Duncinville, he had Washburn, Franklin, and Willams 3d1 prospects who do Cameron Clark have?let me think oh Cam clark, this kid and TJ Taylor,been packing their teams on their back for the past 4yrs so in my opinion that makes him one of the great ones.

Good point. It is kind of the other side of the coin of what we have been talking about. Yes, it is impressive to see kids put up good stats while playing with other top players (ala Fitzgerald), but there is also something to be said when kids like T.J. and Cam are able to dominate while playing with teammates that aren't too highly regarded in the rankings, and still beat good teams.

Man, I just wish that T.J. wouldn't have gotten hurt right before the aau season heated up....he is a much better player than the rankings indicate. Not that the rankings mean much.

Good point. It is kind of the other side of the coin of what we have been talking about. Yes, it is impressive to see kids put up good stats while playing with other top players (ala Fitzgerald), but there is also something to be said when kids like T.J. and Cam are able to dominate while playing with teammates that aren't too highly regarded in the rankings, and still beat good teams.

Man, I just wish that T.J. wouldn't have gotten hurt right before the aau season heated up....he is a much better player than the rankings indicate. Not that the rankings mean much.
T.J. is agood player i agree i think if he would have not got hurt he would be in the top 30 hands down he missed some key tournaments this summer before he got hurt he is a well rounded player who can shoot ,drive,and play defense with tj,we are getting a real combo in a 1,2&3 position i can see him in thestarting lineup this is a tough kid dont sleep on this kid.

My main point in starting this thread was to get a feel for where you think Cam fits in his recruiting class (the national class, not OU's). I personally think he is one of the very best wing prospects in the country. I like him more than Jelan Kendrick, Jereme Richmond and Doron Lamb (nothing personal there Doron) and that he is right there with Will Barton and Regie Bullock. I was hoping someone who followed these guys might weigh in on that.

Also, I really just don't get why Cam isn't getting more love than he is. I know its a heck of an accomplishment to be a top-25 ranked player, don't get me wrong. But when Gottleib and Henzo say that the only reason he isn't rated higher is because of a relative lack of exposure, I just don't get that. How is he ranked as high as #25 if he hasn't had enough exposure? I just don't get it.

Regardless, Capel has a great track record with recruits like Cam...guys who seemed to be uber-elite talents in their class but for some reason never got real love from the recruiting services. By RSCI, Blake Griffin was #16, Willie Warren was #13 and Tommie Mason-Griffin was #30. I think if those rankings were done over based on what we've seen of them in college things would look a lot different.

I look forward to seeing Cam in the Crimson and Cream. He's a great kid and a great player!

As a sort of sub-plot to this conversation, does anyone else think one of Capel and his staff's great strengths is scouting talent. That is, getting a guy like a Ray Willis by picking up on his talent before anyone else, same thing with Pledger. How about going hard after TMG before a lot of people realized he was an elite PG. Getting Cam who seems like a guy who has the size and athleticism of all american wing when for some reason he may not be in McDAA game. Am I just biased toward our players, or have they general achieved beyond their rankings? Obvious BG did, WWIII is better than the 13th best player in his class, Cade is clearly better than anyone out side of the state thought, etc... does anyone else think this might be one of Capel's great strengths? He is picking out talent well and recruiting them early. It may be a part of his general recruiting success that he is on on great talents before they become a big name.

As a sort of sub-plot to this conversation, does anyone else think one of Capel and his staff's great strengths is scouting talent. That is, getting a guy like a Ray Willis by picking up on his talent before anyone else, same thing with Pledger. How about going hard after TMG before a lot of people realized he was an elite PG. Getting Cam who seems like a guy who has the size and athleticism of all american wing when for some reason he may not be in McDAA game. Am I just biased toward our players, or have they general achieved beyond their rankings? Obvious BG did, WWIII is better than the 13th best player in his class, Cade is clearly better than anyone out side of the state thought, etc... does anyone else think this might be one of Capel's great strengths? He is picking out talent well and recruiting them early. It may be a part of his general recruiting success that he is on on great talents before they become a big name.
To all whom read my opinions i apologize inadvance for my lack of puncuation and diction.The reason Cam clark, is not ranked as high as he deserves to be,is because he played for a aau team before team texas that did not play the national venues and from what i hear the Dallas morning news do not record Sherman/denison stats because they are not considerd as the metroplex anylonger.In my opinion this kid can dominate on the national level against any of them guys yes i said it dominate not participate.I am a Cam,fan but im also a bigger fan of the game and i love the energy and style, and entertainment this kid brings to the game.I seen several of this kid highschool games and they was fouling this kid the whole game it was like the refs was blind and this kid just smiled and never said a negative word,now that goes beyond the game i love that my friends is character.

Back