Forget about Alex Tyus...

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
Any thought that Alex Tyus might consider transferring to OU is over now that he has decided to stay at Florida:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4107156

Updated: April 28, 2009, 2:41 PM ET
Tyus returning to Gators
Associated Press

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Forward Alex Tyus has decided to return to the Florida basketball program, changing his mind about 10 days after announcing plans to transfer.

Tyus gave no reason for his about-face Tuesday.

"The University of Florida is where I want to be," Tyus said in a statement. "I truly feel this is the best place for me to continue to grow and improve and I look forward to this upcoming season."

The 6-foot-8 sophomore from St. Louis was Florida's second-leading scorer at 12.5 points per game and leading rebounder at 6.2 per game last season. Tyus played out of position all year, having to line up at center on an undersized team, and had decided to transfer because he wanted to play small forward.

Coach Billy Donovan welcomed Tyus back.

"It's great to know that his heart is here at the University of Florida," Donovan said. "I know he will work hard, and I look forward to helping him continue to grow and develop as a person and as a player."

Tyus had been the fifth player to leave Donovan's program in the last five months, joining guard Jai Lucas (transfer), forward Allan Chaney (transfer), guard Nick Calathes (entered NBA draft) and incoming freshman DeShawn Painter (asked for scholarship release).

Tyus' decision to stay gives Florida's frontcourt a boost heading into next season. Had Tyus transferred, the Gators would have had little experience behind center Kenny Kadji and forwards Vernon Macklin, Dan Werner, Adam Allen and Chandler Parsons.

Now, Donovan will have five big men: Tyus, Kadji, Macklin, Eloy Vargas and incoming freshman Erik Murphy.

A good move for him. Sitting out a year and a half is a killer, especially for a sophomore. What he really should have did was test the waters without an agent.

A good move for him. Sitting out a year and a half is a killer, especially for a sophomore. What he really should have did was test the waters without an agent.
Testing the waters is a horrible move unless you'll be ready a year later or you're a junior. You're only allowed to test the waters once; the next time you declare, you're in the draft permanently. If he did it this year, he wouldn't have the option of testing the waters next year. Also, with teams cutting back cost, they're not going to bring in fringe prospects for individual workouts, and there are no longer pre-draft camp scrimmages, so he wouldn't get anything out of the process. If he were that much of an NBA prospect right now, he would've never considered transferring in the first place.

Back