Has the Big 12 met your expectations this year?

I didn't not say only 3 or 4 teams will get in. I said there are 3 or 4 teams worthy of getting in compared to most years in the Big 12. Kansas may be a Final 4 type team outside of that I don't really see any teams in the Big 12 doing anything in the NCAA Tournament unless KSU gets hot at the end of the year.

Teams worthiness of being in the tournament is not based on ability to reach the FF alone... if it were the tournament wouldn't be larger than 12 to 16 teams even in the best seasons of college basketball. Teams that win their conference and finish in the top 64 of the RPI all have more than valid arguments of being worthy of being in the tournament. Statistically there is virtually no argument that can be made that as a whole of the Big 12 and its teams are not one of the top two or three conferences in America. Actually scratch that... statistically this season the only two conferences that haven't been complete and utter flops have been the Big 12 and Big East. Winning on the road and beating Kansas anywhere have always been the lynch-pin to the conference... Texas is experiencing that now and with a young roster to boot. People in this thread are greatly discounting just how good the teams in this conference are comparative to the rest of the country. The Big 12 is the only conference in the country that is beating top 25 teams more than 40% of the time, nobody else is even really close to that threshold... not even the Big East who the entire land seems to be in awe of.

I could see Kansas, Baylor, and K-State making a run to the Elite 8.

Conferences shouldn't be ranked based on how good or bad the worst teams are. Big deal, the bottom teams in the Big 12 are better then the bottom teams elsewhere.

At the end of the day, how good are the good teams? How good are the teams that are going to the Dance? That is where you see how good a conference is. Too many politics involved in ranking them based on anything that happens before then. And historically, the Big 12 hasn't really performed well in the Dance.

I could see Kansas, Baylor, and K-State making a run to the Elite 8.

I still don't know about Baylor. Just when I think they are good they lose to Colorado. They did win in Austin but Texas can't hit a jump shot right now. I wouldn't be shocked if they lose to Nebraska tomorrow night. Baylor does have good guards which is what you need in NCAA Tournament. Kansas should do no worse than the Elite 8. Baylor and KSU haven't shown that so unless they get hot at the right time.

Conferences shouldn't be ranked based on how good or bad the worst teams are. Big deal, the bottom teams in the Big 12 are better then the bottom teams elsewhere.

At the end of the day, how good are the good teams? How good are the teams that are going to the Dance? That is where you see how good a conference is. Too many politics involved in ranking them based on anything that happens before then. And historically, the Big 12 hasn't really performed well in the Dance.

Eight of twelve teams in the top 50 of the RPI, five teams in the top 30, not a single team in the bottom half of college basketball (only one team that is even anywhere close to such), best record against ranked opponents in the country... those are numbers that the ACC and Big East have been lauded over by message boards and media outlets everywhere for the last two decades and now hat the Big 12 is doing it it's now a disappointment? The people here could be served a five course, five star menu by a world renowned chef and they'd complain they're not getting a Big Mac from McDonald's. :eek:

KU, Texas, and KSU are basically in the NCAA Tournament right now no matter what, maybe if Texas loses out they don't get in but KU and KSU are in for sure. Texas won't lose out.

Baylor probably gets in even though they probably end up going 8-8.

Are Texas A&M and Missouri are above Baylor right now in Big 12 play but I don't know if that holds up. I don't think both will get in. A&M isn't that good IMO.

The only way we get in is if we go 6-2 or better or win the Big 12 Tournament or beat Kansas and go 5-3.

Its about what I expected.

Knew KU would be tough, I thought texas was overrated in the preseason (Didn't think they had the guard play, big man that can play meaningful minutes (I didn't think Pittman could be in good enough shape down the stretch to play more then he has throughout his career)), figured Mizzou would take a step back.

Baylor's been playing better then I expected, OU's worse then I expected, K-State slightly better then I expected, etc.

Overall, the league I think may be slightly better last year then it was last year, at least from a top-heavy perspective. Still the 2nd best league in the country.

And historically, the Big 12 hasn't really performed well in the Dance.

Over the last several years the Big 12's performed very well in the dance. From 2002-present the conference has been one of the best ones concerning tournament performance.

Over the last several years the Big 12's performed very well in the dance. From 2002-present the conference has been one of the best ones concerning tournament performance.

Link? Because that isn't what I've gathered.

Eight of twelve teams in the top 50 of the RPI, five teams in the top 30, not a single team in the bottom half of college basketball (only one team that is even anywhere close to such), best record against ranked opponents in the country... those are numbers that the ACC and Big East have been lauded over by message boards and media outlets everywhere for the last two decades and now hat the Big 12 is doing it it's now a disappointment? The people here could be served a five course, five star menu by a world renowned chef and they'd complain they're not getting a Big Mac from McDonald's. :eek:

This is the problem with people from the Big XII. We constantly sell ourselves short. Thank you for posting that information.

Last year 2 Elite 8 teams, 1 Sweet 16 team

08 National Champs and elite 8 team

07 Elite 8 and Sweet 16 team

06 1 Elite 8 team

05 2 Sweet 16 teams

04 1 Final 4, 1 Elite 8, 1 Sweet 16

03 1 Championships game, 1 Final 4, 1 Elite 8

02 2 Final 4, 1 Elite 8, 1 Sweet 16

Last edited:

Link? Because that isn't what I've gathered.

Most wins by conference in the last three NCAA tournaments:
1. Big East 35
2. Big Twelve 29
T3. Big Ten 24
T3. Pac Ten 24
4. ACC 22
5. SEC 16
6. Atlantic Ten 7

Best Winning percentage in the last three NCAA tournaments:
1. Big Twelve 0.6591
2. Big East 0.6250
3. Big Ten 0.6000
4. Pac Ten 0.5714
5. ACC 0.5641
6. Atlantic Ten 0.4667

(I left Conference USA out because too often did they only send one or two teams to the tournament and I believe that skewed the chart far too much)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

Most wins by conference in the last three NCAA tournaments:
1. Big East 35
2. Big Twelve 29
T3. Big Ten 24
T3. Pac Ten 24
4. ACC 22
5. SEC 16
6. Atlantic Ten 7

Best Winning percentage in the last three NCAA tournaments:
1. Big Twelve 0.6591
2. Big East 0.6250
3. Big Ten 0.6000
4. Pac Ten 0.5714
5. ACC 0.5641
6. Atlantic Ten 0.4667

(I left Conference USA out because too often did they only send one or two teams to the tournament and I believe that skewed the chart far too much)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

I'll figure it out since 2002 later if I can find the time but the last three years was easy because they have the statistics by conference right there easily found.

Since the time period since 2002 was what was discussed ("several years") this is how it brakes down since the 2002 NCAA tournament by teams who were in the conference at the time the tournament was played.

Final Fours:
T1. Big Twelve 6
T1. ACC 6
T3. Big East 5
T3. Big Ten 5
5. SEC 3
6. Pac Ten 2

Elite 8s
1. Big Twelve 14
2. Big East 12
T3. ACC 7
T3. Big Ten 7
T3. Pac Ten 7
6. SEC 6

Sweet 16s
1. Big East 25
2. Big Twelve 20
3. ACC 16
T4. Big Ten 15
T4. Pac Ten 15
6. SEC 11

Most Wins in the NCAA Tourny since 2002
1. Big East 83
2. Big Twelve 76
3. ACC 70
4. SEC 61
5. Big Ten 58
6. Pac Ten 53

Winning Percentage since 2002 in NCAA Tourny
1. Big Twelve 0.6552
2. ACC 0.6422
3. Big East 0.6336
4. SEC 0.6289
5. Big Ten 0.5979
6. Pac Ten 0.5760

Can we now please dispel the mega myth that the Big Twelve does not perform well in the NCAA Tournament and let it die... The conference ranks first or second in every statistical category you could use to measure performance. If anything a very good case can be made that the Big Twelve has consistently performed as the best conference in the tournament since 2002 and certainly not by any means underperformed or disappointed.

Last edited:
Are you counting the wins by L'ville Marquette when they weren't in the Big East?

Are you counting the wins by L'ville Marquette when they weren't in the Big East?

No, I explained that in the post if you had read the opening paragraph. With those wins the Big East would be the leader in Finals Fours with 7 but other than that I'm not sure what their statistics would be. They were not in the Big East at the time so I did not count them for a conference in which they did not participate in during that season.

Edit: Although I did count Boston College, Miami, and Va. Tech while they were members of the Big East. Only fair.

Last edited:
Since the time period since 2002 was what was discussed ("several years") this is how it brakes down since the 2002 NCAA tournament by teams who were in the conference at the time the tournament was played.

Final Fours:
T1. Big Twelve 6
T1. ACC 6
T3. Big East 5
T3. Big Ten 5
5. SEC 3
6. Pac Ten 2

Elite 8s
1. Big Twelve 14
2. Big East 12
T3. ACC 7
T3. Big Ten 7
T3. Pac Ten 7
6. SEC 6

Sweet 16s
1. Big East 25
2. Big Twelve 20
3. ACC 16
T4. Big Ten 15
T4. Pac Ten 15
6. SEC 11

Most Wins in the NCAA Tourny since 2002
1. Big East 83
2. Big Twelve 76
3. ACC 70
4. SEC 61
5. Big Ten 58
6. Pac Ten 53

Winning Percentage since 2002 in NCAA Tourny
1. Big Twelve 0.6552
2. ACC 0.6422
3. Big East 0.6336
4. SEC 0.6289
5. Big Ten 0.5979
6. Pac Ten 0.5760

Can we now please dispel the mega myth that the Big Twelve does not perform well in the NCAA Tournament and let it die... The conference ranks first or second in every statistical category you could use to measure performance. If anything a very good case can be made that the Big Twelve has consistently performed as the best conference in the tournament since 2002 and certainly not by any means underperformed or disappointed.

Thanks for the research... I knew the Big 12 has had a great run since then, I appreciate you helping me out.

Back